Let's rate the AMPS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crikey

Reaction score
Ok, I have just purchased a roadster head and have been tweaking ever since, It is certainly a whole lot better than my JCM 900 for lot's of reasons, on stage it gives me so much versatility and love the cleans.
So going through the posts I have seen many pros and cons of the Mesa collection, so how about the ones of you in the know about the range could you rate them from the top down for both versatility and sound, if that can be done. Would be very interested to see it.
Cheers.

it really depends on people's tastes... i could tell you my n°1 is the MarkIV

1- 10 being best (for what I've owned or heard), including sound and originality of tone as values:

10 - remains to be made. I might vote of for a stilleto Ace half stack in some cool color just for it's vibe.
9 - Lonestar Special - great small gig, classic tone machine
8 - 100 Watt, 2 channel Dual Recto - Unique hard rock/nu metal king
7 - Mk 1 reissue
7 Stilleto Version 2 --all better now. one more for the Ace combo.
4 - Stilletto Version 1 -hard mids to me
0 -MkIV -worst of the bunch by far. Lifeless and solid state sounding. Nothing tube about it.

zekmoe said:
1- 10 being best (for what I've owned or heard), including sound and originality of tone as values:

10 - remains to be made. I might vote of for a stilleto Ace half stack in some cool color just for it's vibe.
7 - Mk 1 reissue
0 -MkIV -worst of the bunch by far. Lifeless and solid state sounding. Nothing tube about it.
ytse will just love that. :shock:
Have you played a roadster?

Crikey said:
i must say that i've never tried a markIV, but i own a studio pre which shouldn't be so much different from MarkIV's preamp section, and i absolutely love it, more than any recto i've ever tried (even if at the moment i'm playing it through the fx loop return of a Randall G3 with mosfet poweramp)! then, i listened to many MarkIV clips here and i really love them, if you're interested i could you suggest listening to Antoine's clips for great solos or to SeasonOfPain's or Nitrobattery's ones for heavy rhythms.
Maybe zekmoe had no luck with his one. :wink:

ytse_jam said:
Crikey said:
i must say that i've never tried a markIV, but i own a studio pre which shouldn't be so much different from MarkIV's preamp section, and i absolutely love it, more than any recto i've ever tried (even if at the moment i'm playing it through the fx loop return of a Randall G3 with mosfet poweramp)! then, i listened to many MarkIV clips here and i really love them, if you're interested i could you suggest listening to Antoine's clips for great solos or to SeasonOfPain's or Nitrobattery's ones for heavy rhythms.
sounds like you have a very nice set up, sorry to be a hassle but where can I find the clips you speak of and have you posted any clips of your set up?
I'd be interested to hear it.

Crikey said:
ytse_jam said:
Crikey said:
sounds like you have a very nice set up, sorry to be a hassle but where can I find the clips you speak of and have you posted any clips of your set up?
I'd be interested to hear it.
Well, it isn't a great setup actually since the randall amp is not mine, but is a friend of mine who lends it to me for now! however i hope i will record a clip soon with this setup and i'll let you know. The clips i was talking are here:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=6886 (SeasonOfPain)
http://www.myspace.com/antoinebeconcini (Antoine)
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=4665&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 (nitrobattery: look at the middle of the page, in a message he wrote the links for his clips)

i forgot, please copy/paste the addresses if links don't work! it always happens to me...

ytse_jam said:
i forgot, please copy/paste the addresses if links don't work! it always happens to me...
no they worked fine, wow I haven't got my roadster sounding anything like that yet, may have a lot to do with my playing ability :oops: :lol:
Thanks for that , it's great to get around this forum and check out all the input.

Below is my ranking of the Mesa Amps I've owned and played:

Ranked in the order 1 being the best...and so on.....

1 - Mark IV
2 - Triaxis (Combined with either 2:90 or 20/20)
3. RK II
4. LSS
5. LSC
6. Studio Pre
7. F-50
8. Mark I RI
9. Subway Rocket
10. V-Twin Preamp Pedal

Crikey said:
Living_justice said:
Mark 4 everything else sucks
have you tried a roadster?

An ignorant statement like that usually sends up red flags -- interpreted to mean, he's not tried anything other than a Mark IV. :shock:

Is this just a rating no matter how it works, does the amp have to function? LOL........

Sorry yall I just had to ask..................

zekmoe wrote:
[10 - remains to be made. I might vote of for a stilleto Ace half stack in some cool color just for it's vibe.
7 - Mk 1 reissue
e]

I think many will highly disagree with you here. I had a Mark IV and it was simply the best amp I ever owned for sound and versatility. VERY tube sounding and full of life. I've had solid state and I'm sorry but the Mark IV certainly wasn't that!!!! Never had to run an OD in front of it to tighten it up either! It doesn't need anything else to sound absolutely awesome!

And that is exactly why I will be getting another one when the funds are there!

It looks like the MkIV has been givin the nod.
So my question is how much better is it compared to the roadster?

I was playing live with my mark 4, and the band which we were supporting had a roadster, and after they played, i had the biggest smile ever my little boy owns all, even they said so. hes now getting one lol. :lol:

you can not objectively say that mark IV is better than roadster. Mark lovers would prefer mark IV, recto lovers would prefer the roadster. They have a different tone and feeling.

Living_justice said:
No clipping on or bad boys tho a.
i'm really sorry, but this time i don't understand what you're saying, my poor english has reached its limit! could you explain it to me with simpler words?thanks

Latest posts

Back