Les Paul Mark IV - Problems

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcalabro

Reaction score
Hi all!

Not sure where this thread should be placed.. but it seams like its the guitar, so here i go:p

I have a MarkIV with a recto cab. When playing with a Les Paul Studio (83) it's nice, warm and just an awesome tone over all - on channel 1. But on channel 2 or 3 it's sounds extremely Flubby. It's realllllly bad. Sounds like someone farting.
When i play with my SG fitted with EMGs i don't get any of that. So i am assuming the Paul's problem is the pick ups? But if thats the case wouldn't the clean channel sound the same? Any ideas?
If it's the pick-ups.. any suggestions on what i should fit the Les Paul with?

Thanks a bunch

jcalabro said:
Hi all!

Not sure where this thread should be placed.. but it seams like its the guitar, so here i go:p

I have a MarkIV with a recto cab. When playing with a Les Paul Studio (83) it's nice, warm and just an awesome tone over all - on channel 1. But on channel 2 or 3 it's sounds extremely Flubby. It's realllllly bad. Sounds like someone farting.
When i play with my SG fitted with EMGs i don't get any of that. So i am assuming the Paul's problem is the pick ups? But if thats the case wouldn't the clean channel sound the same? Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch

I know you said it was a studio, but can you tell me for sure what pups are in it? (eg, burstbucker/pro 498 500 etc)

David.W said:
jcalabro said:
Hi all!

Thanks a bunch

I know you said it was a studio, but can you tell me for sure what pups are in it? (eg, burstbucker/pro 498 500 etc)

Also is this the neck or bridge... or both?

you know.. i'm not not whats in it :( although burstbuckers sound familiar

both neck and bridge create this sound

I dont know about the 83 models but now a days you get the 498 in the bridge and its a great pick up, I have it in my custom and its got to be my favorite pickup at the moment. What your describing to me sounds more like the burstbucker but i find it hard to believe its in the studio.

I also found the burstbucker to be flubby at high gain, its really only good matched with a gritty Marshall sound. Get a Gibson 498 or a 500, I hear great things about the Seymour JB in Gibsons matched with Mesa as well.

I like a 498 or 500 for passives in a Paul. Otherwise a good ol' 81 works good for the bridge.

ursinus said:
Try a Seymour Custom 5 in the bridge and a Alnico II in the neck. IMO this is the ultimate Les Paul MKIV combo.....

So in your opinion whats the ultimate rectifier pick up?

Russ said:
I like a 498 or 500 for passives in a Paul
Russ, do you know how much of a difference the pickup cover actualy makes, if any?

I think it just adds weight and shiny stuff.

Don't forget what I just PM'd you and apply it to that answer.

Latest posts

Back