Left Boogie for a while but now i'm back...HOLY TREMOVERB!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpurdue

Reaction score
I've been on a non-boogie path for the last 4 years with the last mesa i own being a Roadster. Although it sounded good at home i never jived with it in a live setting. My bandmates 50 watt JCM800 always seemed to overpower it. So, i got a Marshall lol. A week ago i was at the music store and plugged into a Tremoverb that came in on trade. I wasn't expecting much but i was floored! What a great sounding amp!! I found with my other boogies (Roadster, Stiletto. Marks etc) that i had to do a fair bit of tweaking to get the sound i wanted. With the Tremoverb, i can't get a bad sound out of it. I have some KT77's on order which i think will only improve the tone. Anyways, if anyone is on the fence about getting a Tremoverb ...... GET IT!!!

Tremoverb and Rectoverb and the best Mesa has produced...in my book. I think the series I amps are gems!

I've owned a JCM 800, a Tremoveb and a Mark V... I still have the Mark V. It suits me better as a home player these days. If I had to start playing in a band again I'd go back to the 800. It will over power just about anything less than a jet engine. I know the Tremoverb is supposed to be highly sought after but I much prefer my Mark. When I want that Recto thing I fire up the triple... That's the only amp that will actually make my heart/chest feel all funny when cranked... Like I have to turn it back down a bit cause I feel like my chest cavity is vibrating.

SonVolt said:
I've owned a JCM 800, a Tremoveb and a Mark V... I still have the Mark V. It suits me better as a home player these days. If I had to start playing in a band again I'd go back to the 800. It will over power just about anything less than a jet engine. I know the Tremoverb is supposed to be highly sought after but I much prefer my Mark. When I want that Recto thing I fire up the triple... That's the only amp that will actually make my heart/chest feel all funny when cranked... Like I have to turn it back down a bit cause I feel like my chest cavity is vibrating.

Each to their own :). I just have never played a Mark series i've really liked. I know the tones are there as i've heard them. I guess they aren't there for myself mind you! I still have a JCM2204 and an Orange Thunderverb and the Tremoverb holds it's own with both. It's one of the few Recto's i've played that has an upper mid voicing that i love similar to a lot of Brit amps. I had a Triple as well and while i loved it at home that sound didn't translate well to me in a live setting.

Tremoverb... greatest amp ever built :).

I've never got along with Marks at all either. I've heard other players get good tones out of them, but they are not for me.

I also completely agree about the Tremoverb's more 'Marshally' midrange voicing compared to the standard Rectifier. I know some people may disagree, but I can guarantee that the Tremoverb will nail, dead-on, the sound of a Marshall 2203... because I've had them A/B'd through the same speakers and you could set them so you couldn't tell which amp it was. An all-original '76 2203, the best one I've ever heard. And it can do so much more as well, that the Marshall can't even come close to. I always loved Marshalls, I grew up playing them, and I always wanted them to make my 'perfect amp', but they never did. Mesa did.

94Tremoverb said:
Tremoverb... greatest amp ever built :).

I've never got along with Marks at all either. I've heard other players get good tones out of them, but they are not for me.

I also completely agree about the Tremoverb's more 'Marshally' midrange voicing compared to the standard Rectifier. I know some people may disagree, but I can guarantee that the Tremoverb will nail, dead-on, the sound of a Marshall 2203... because I've had them A/B'd through the same speakers and you could set them so you couldn't tell which amp it was. An all-original '76 2203, the best one I've ever heard. And it can do so much more as well, that the Marshall can't even come close to. I always loved Marshalls, I grew up playing them, and I always wanted them to make my 'perfect amp', but they never did. Mesa did.

Agreed 150%!! Do you mind sharing some pointers to cop the 2203 tone? So far I'm really loving the "blues" mode for Marshally tones. But I can also get great in orange hi gain too.

Nah, the price won't be much higher.

If you like the Tremoverb, check out a Rectoverb! They are even better, smoother and richer, I believe because of the 50 output. Sure, volume might not be a huge difference, but feel and response, in my opinion, is better on the 50 watters. Plus, I play small clubs, so no need for excess power. :)

Do they make a Tremoverb series II? I only have experience with the Rectoverb Series I so I do not know if the same feel and tone exist in the Series II amps.

I always thought the Rectoverb and Tremoverb were meant to be Rectifiers with reverb....but to me they are much warmer, smoother and more Bognerish I would say.

No, there's no 'Series II' Tremoverb - it was discontinued along with the original 2-channel Dual Rec in 2000.

I must admit I don't really like the Rectoverb anywhere near as much, not even the Series I. It doesn't have that effortless hugeness and depth of the Tremoverb, just because it's not tube rectified and only two-tube. The reverb is also not in the same class as the Tremoverb's. I do also know someone who prefers his over the Tremoverb though, so it's just down to taste.

Settings for a 2203 tone... I don't remember exactly where the knobs were, but it was Bold, Diode, Orange, Vintage, no reverb or trem - kind of what you would expect really! And to be fair, the Marshall was set to match the Mesa as well as the other way round. (Bass up full, mid lower, can't remember exactly where the treble and presence were but most likely around noon - I always used to set them like that when I played Marshalls, I must have known I wanted a Rectifier before they ever existed :).) But I was demonstrating this to a friend and at one point we did actually lose track of which amp was active (I had them connected to the same cab with a switcher/load arrangement), and when we tried to adjust the knobs on the Marshall, nothing happened ;).

congrats, brosef!

I know the feeling! I got rid of my dual rectumfrier in 2008ish, finally got a rectoverb last month!! I like it better than my dual, the clean is actually remarkably sexy with the on board reverb (and a tiny bit of flange). These amps are MONSTERS

imo, there is no better hard rock tone

94Tremoverb said:
No, there's no 'Series II' Tremoverb - it was discontinued along with the original 2-channel Dual Rec in 2000.

I must admit I don't really like the Rectoverb anywhere near as much, not even the Series I. It doesn't have that effortless hugeness and depth of the Tremoverb, just because it's not tube rectified and only two-tube. The reverb is also not in the same class as the Tremoverb's. I do also know someone who prefers his over the Tremoverb though, so it's just down to taste.

Settings for a 2203 tone... I don't remember exactly where the knobs were, but it was Bold, Diode, Orange, Vintage, no reverb or trem - kind of what you would expect really! And to be fair, the Marshall was set to match the Mesa as well as the other way round. (Bass up full, mid lower, can't remember exactly where the treble and presence were but most likely around noon - I always used to set them like that when I played Marshalls, I must have known I wanted a Rectifier before they ever existed :).) But I was demonstrating this to a friend and at one point we did actually lose track of which amp was active (I had them connected to the same cab with a switcher/load arrangement), and when we tried to adjust the knobs on the Marshall, nothing happened ;).

I don't know, my PWE Event Horizon is 50 watts, two tubes and to me sounds bigger/fuller in a band mix than any amp I have used.
I can see your point but I am not a pro and only jam with friends and our cover band only plays bars and clubs so realistically I could use a 15 watt combo, so the Rectoverb is more than enough. The Tremoverb is more than I need and can't get one into the sweet spot as easily as I can a Rectoverb for the volumes in which we play. :mrgreen: :D :)
I compared a friend's Rectoverb, Tremoverb and Reborn Dual Rectifier and I enjoyed the Rectoverb best for rock, hard rock and grunge.

I've had two and three channel Dual Rectos, a Roadster, a Mark IV, a TriAxis/2:90 rig, DC-5's, DC10's etc etc. The Tremoverb is hands down my favorite of the bunch. Aside from all of the Recto glory, it really can do close to the 800 tones, as well as the 5150 tones. In fact, I'm selling my 6505 because I honestly just play my Tremoverb.

papersoul said:
94Tremoverb said:

I don't know, my PWE Event Horizon is 50 watts, two tubes and to me sounds bigger/fuller in a band mix than any amp I have used.
I can see your point but I am not a pro and only jam with friends and our cover band only plays bars and clubs so realistically I could use a 15 watt combo, so the Rectoverb is more than enough. The Tremoverb is more than I need and can't get one into the sweet spot as easily as I can a Rectoverb for the volumes in which we play. :mrgreen: :D :)
I compared a friend's Rectoverb, Tremoverb and Reborn Dual Rectifier and I enjoyed the Rectoverb best for rock, hard rock and grunge.

I agree with what your saying but I use an Alex Attenuator with my Tremoverb so I can run it pretty open which makes all the difference in the world. The same is said about my orange thunderverb. For whatever reason though the Tremoverb seems much louder than the other 100 watt heads I've had.

Nitrobattery said:
I've had two and three channel Dual Rectos, a Roadster, a Mark IV, a TriAxis/2:90 rig, DC-5's, DC10's etc etc. The Tremoverb is hands down my favorite of the bunch. Aside from all of the Recto glory, it really can do close to the 800 tones, as well as the 5150 tones. In fact, I'm selling my 6505 because I honestly just play my Tremoverb.

Hahaha, sounds like we've owned all the same gear! I agree about the JCM800. I think that's why this is the only Mesa I've bonded with. I crave that upper mid range "chirp" that Marshall's have. To me the Tremoverb sounds more Brit than my Orange Thunderverb. I may even sell/trade that to fund another Tremoverb :)

One thing that bothers me about buying an older Tremoverb or Rectoverb is that now I use two modern amps, a PWE Event Horizon and Bogner 20th Shiva with EL34s. The Recto and Tremo requires lots more volume to sound good. :(
I love that my amps are killer at bedroom volume and gig volumes, plus amazing effects loops, switching, solo boosts, etc.

My Reborn Rectifier was better at low volumes compared to my 2004 Dual Rec and early 90s DR....but still not as good as my Shiva and PWE. Cranked up a little, it was magical. Maybe I just have to get over it, LOL. I became addicted to the big tone of my Dual Rec but hated the solo tone and feel. The Tremoverb and Rectoverb fix that. My 100 watt DR Reborn was big sounding. Maybe I will really consider the Tremoverb but man the Rectoverb sounded better to me and felt better at low volumes.

Latest posts

Back