Leather corners

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterTrax

Reaction score
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, but does anyone have an idea where I can get leather amp corners to replace torn ones on my Mesa head?

Thx

M

Hi Guitarzan,
Nope, but I looked in their hardware dept online and didn't see any. Do they carry stuff they don't list online available to the general public? That would be great.

M

They typically do... However if you can take a corner off and take it to a local Leathersmith, you should be fine. Not to mention saving yourself some cash.

Mesa will sell you just about any part you could think of. They had to make up some part numbers for a couple things I ordered but they still sold them to me.

I asked them about the corners once - they will sell them to you for .30 a piece. That's a deal either way!

I once wanted to replace them, or actually just get another color. I ended up just using a leather dye to turn em from tan to black! I talked with Mesa about this, and the problem with replacing them is they're held in place by a type of rivet-head nail, so if you remove em, your left with a hole in the wood shell that may not hold the next nail, so some woodwork may have to be done! Dye seemed a little easier. In your case, hopefully you did well in wood class!

Just lay some glue in the hole then use toothpicks to pack it out. Once it dries it will accept about any fastener you want to use. With larger holes I like to use a chopstick. They are cheap (free) and you can adjust the girth by using different portions of the stick (thinner towards the tip and fatter towards the top). This approach has never failed in repairing stuff like doors and furnishings that had a screw hole in wood that get it's threads removed. The pressure of the new fastener will expand the fill repair and make for a tight grip.

Russ said:
Just lay some glue in the hole then use toothpicks to pack it out. Once it dries it will accept about any fastener you want to use. With larger holes I like to use a chopstick. They are cheap (free) and you can adjust the girth by using different portions of the stick (thinner towards the tip and fatter towards the top). This approach has never failed in repairing stuff like doors and furnishings that had a screw hole in wood that get it's threads removed. The pressure of the new fastener will expand the fill repair and make for a tight grip.

hey, never thought about that!! cool, great tip!! 8) 8)

the problem w/ the rivets is that when they are nailed in they spread open, so they are like pulling teeth and rarly leave a clean hole. i retolexed a marshall 4x12 in red. there were like 50 to remove, and i had to drill clean holes, glue dowels, and sand flat.

lailer75 said:
the problem w/ the rivets is that when they are nailed in they spread open, so they are like pulling teeth and rarly leave a clean hole. i retolexed a marshall 4x12 in red. there were like 50 to remove, and i had to drill clean holes, glue dowels, and sand flat.

Excatly! Thanks!

By design, the Mesa leather corner tacks are hard to remove, by virtue of the gripping "flutes" on the shank of the tack. The head is weakest part:

000_0125.jpg

Removal may end up with a broken-off tack head...and the shank still firmly stuck to the plywood. I recently ordred a couple of Mesa (direct from Mesa). This was necessary to secure one of the leather corners on the bottom of my Mesa cab, where a tack-head broke off.

Rather than removing the tack's shank, I tapped it flat into the plywood, and hammered the new tack adjacent to the old tack. It went in just fine! There was enough stretch in the old leather corner to make this a no-brainer.

Rather than drilling out the tacks, you may be able the drive the broken-off tack shanks deeper with with a steel pin punch. This same fluted nail design is also found on common warehouse pallets, and those s.o.b.'s really grip.

Mesa can be be hard to find a salesman, without getting directed to a mailbox, so leave a message (they will call back), or just keep calling.

Back