Learn from my mistake!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esromeron

Reaction score
Well after having one of the greatest days playing with my DC-5 combo today, I wanted to put in a new tube in the V5 (Reverb send and return). I didn't feel like pulling out the chassis so I just angled the amp so I could get to the tubes. As I am taking out the 2nd power tube, I pulled a little too hard and it comes out and barely hits the speakers back. Well it ended up being hard enough to shatter the top of the tube. $30 down the drain because of my carelessness! So you combo users!! Be careful!

Your either a genius or dyslexic to catch that!

As the saying goes "If you don't mess something up your not doing anything."

MesaDCLP said:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
The reverb on my DC-5 is pretty crappy, so I'm experimenting with different tubes to try and see if I can get a decent reverb.

Anyways, I put in the old Mesa STR 430's 6L6's while I'm waiting for the replacement Winged =C=. I wanted to see how different they sound, as I changed the entire preamp and power tubes at once so I couldn't compare them before. The Mesa's sound like they are so cold, and kind of make the amp sound like theres a blanket over it. The amp has the flub all over again (which I thought was the C90 speaker, as people has described it as flubby). The SED Winged =C='s tighten up the amp a lot and gets rid of that flubb.

All of this makes me want to get a bias mod put in the amp so I can get any tubes full potential. To me it just sounds like the Mesa's are rated way too low to be in this amp (they have 11ma written on them, while the Winged =C='s are at 19ma).

Latest posts

Back