Lead Tone Pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeldragonjovi

Reaction score
What pedal would anyone recommend that will give me a strong lead tone for a roadster in channel 3/4?

That amp should be ample enough to get what you are looking for. You might have to try different EQ settings, maybe change out the output tubes (6L6 to EL34 or vice-versa). I recommend a rebias of the amp as well...that's another story all together.

If it's a pedal that's going to "do it", I'd recommend a boost pedal that has a tone control for more flexibility. It would hit the preamp tubes hard enough to coax your Roadster into the "Sweet" zone, but not break the signal up too much where it'd turn to mush. You'd might want to try in through the effects loop as well.

Just some ideas to ponder...

When I had my Roadster 2x12 combo, I used the BB Preamp to tighten things up nicely, especially for solos. It also allowed me to use less overall gain in channels 3 and 4

I have been using the Radial PB-1 clean boost pedal. Lack of a tone control has not been an issue, I am already very pleased with the sound of my guitar no matter what amp I plug into. It's my fav so far vs. the TS-9, or Boss SD-1 & DS-1. It's a very transparent pedal that handles my EMG's well.

I've never tried the BB products though everybody raves about them. I stopped at the PB-1 because I like what I'm hearing.

My .02

Dom

18&Life said:
PEDALS ARE CRAP , EVEN MORE CRAP THE DIRTORTION ONES :evil:
A true purist speaks! (DIRTortion? :wink: )
The BB gear does have great reviews (never tried one), but I went with a Klon. No coloration, and versatile.

waassaabee said:
18&Life said:
PEDALS ARE CRAP , EVEN MORE CRAP THE DIRTORTION ONES :evil:
A true purist speaks! (DIRTortion? :wink: )
The BB gear does have great reviews (never tried one), but I went with a Klon. No coloration, and versatile.

The Klon Centaur? I heard those were the best around; is that what you got?

I am a big fan of the MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive. I set mine with the gain at about 8:00 the tone at 11:00 and output at 11:00 - 1:00 and love it.

I think Petrucci uses an MXR Wylde Overdrive for some of his solos on Systematic Chaos. Never used one myself. I use the DS-1 and it suits my needs...

waassaabee said:
steeldragonjovi said:
The Klon Centaur? I heard those were the best around; is that what you got?
Yes and yes. A truly amazing investment.

Where did you get yours from? Do you know if Guitar Center carries them (I'll have to check it out)?

What are amp are you running it through and on what channels? I'm very interested to hear about this pedal, because I've only heard they're the best around. Do you use it for lead and distortion channels?

steeldragonjovi said:
Where did you get yours from? Do you know if Guitar Center carries them (I'll have to check it out)?

What are amp are you running it through and on what channels? I'm very interested to hear about this pedal, because I've only heard they're the best around. Do you use it for lead and distortion channels?
http://www.klon-siberia.com
Guitar Center will never carry them. I ordered mine from the man that builds them. You can find used units on eBay for practically twice the price of a new one if you can't wait the three months. To be honest, I haven't received mine yet (and it's killing me), but I tested one in a shop a while back through a MkIV and in under 30 seconds was convinced. It's designed as a clean boost, but that's a bit of an understatement. It's your amp on steroids!! It's PHAT city.. Sustain forever.. You'll be tempted to leave it on all the time! All channels, all settings, all guitars.

Latest posts

Back