Lead boost on a Studio 22

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primeholy

Reaction score
I am running a boss eq into the effects loop of my 22 for a boost for solos. It is not working as noticabely well as it did on my valveking and crate bluedoodoo head. I was wondering if it was because the effects loop is not as sensitive as on my other amps. Also I was wondering if running a 212 or 412 extension cab might help with this as well. I was considering getting a volume pedal to use instead of a boost. Anyone have suggestions? I have a carvin 212 vintage cab and an old Laney 412 cab I would have to rewire to 4 ohms.

acorkos said:
try the EQ between guitar and amp and see if it works any better (i bet it will)
I've got a mxr micro amp as a boost there also. It raises the volume on the clean channel a bit but not as noticable on the dirty channel where I need it. Thanks.

primeholy said:
acorkos said:
try the EQ between guitar and amp and see if it works any better (i bet it will)
I've got a mxr micro amp as a boost there also. It raises the volume on the clean channel a bit but not as noticable on the dirty channel where I need it. Thanks.

that's normal. a signal boost will be more noticeable going into a cleaner channel than into a distorted channel. that's because distortion is a result of having already run out of headroom, and there's going to be a natural compression going on. boosting a crunchy/distorted amp is going to result in more distortion, boosting a clean amp will yield more volume.

lyman said:
primeholy said:
acorkos said:

that's normal. a signal boost will be more noticeable going into a cleaner channel than into a distorted channel. that's because distortion is a result of having already run out of headroom, and there's going to be a natural compression going on. boosting a crunchy/distorted amp is going to result in more distortion, boosting a clean amp will yield more volume.

Hey I just want to say thanks for that clear explanation above. I was using a compression pedal as a boost and could not figure out why it worked so great for my clean and so crappy for my dirt. I opted to a LPB-1 last in my line and got better results but still dramatically different btw. clean and dirt level boost. Thanks very much.

Latest posts

Back