Latest Carvin Guitar Build Quality

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carvin's feel like the most incredible guitar you've ever played, times 10. The neck is superbly made, the pickups are fine, and the body is so beautifully contoured to your body, it'll feel like a boutique guitar specialty store completely hand crafted the guitar to your body. OH MY GOD, it's soooooo good!!!!!!

Guitar GeeK said:
Carvin's feel like the most incredible guitar you've ever played, times 10. The neck is superbly made, the pickups are fine, and the body is so beautifully contoured to your body, it'll feel like a boutique guitar specialty store completely hand crafted the guitar to your body. OH MY GOD, it's soooooo good!!!!!!

Like many here I was not totally impressed with the bridge p/u in my ST300; I put in a JB and I like that better. But as far as almost everything else, it is indeed impressive!
The build quality and finish are about as good as it gets! It stands up to virtually anything else made!

And the performance to price ratio is unmatched in the industry! :wink:

I've noticed that Carvin cuts a few small corners.

Their pickups are well made, but they use small pots (that actually feel very good and have a good taper) and they use cheap switches.

They use a molded nut (their guitars are so precisely made that they can get away with this) that is too tall above the strings.

They use a cheap version of the Wilkinsen tremolo.

On the other hand, they machine wood like it's metal (very precisely), the finish is like glass and their fret dressing is among the best I've seen (again, the guitars are so precisely built that they probably have to do very little to them).

Yes they use "stomp box" size pots.
As mine has the original Floyd Rose w/ lock nut, I can't comment on the other tremolos/nuts.
The cavity shielding is just taped in (not conductive paint like my Hamers), but it does the job.

The fretwork is awesome, esp with Stainless frets (I will be getting these from now on!).

So they are not perfect and they do save money where they can get away with it. But overall still a darn good deal, IMO! :D

Makes you wonder how some of the other guys can charge so much!? :roll:

I prefer the tape in the cavity. I'll bet it costs them more to do. The threaded inserts for the cavity cover are a cool touch.

Funny that they use the original Floyd, but the cheap Wilky!

I had a Hamer USA Diablo for a while. That was a nice guitar too. My Carvin is more my style.

The C22B bridge pickup is hotter and a bit brighter than the Duncan Seth Lovers (which are known to be warm pickups) in my Les Paul. Not as hot as I remember my DiMarzio Super Distortion being (though the resistance measures about the same).

The C22J neck pickup can get pretty jazzy. It's a nice sounding pickup.

They split well, too.

They're both pretty much traditional sounding humbuckers. Really not bad pickups at all. As a blues guitarist, I can't complain about them. I'm keeping them for now.

Carvin are awsome guitars, great build quality/ playability and sensibly priced. If only Gibson, Fender and PRS weren't so greedy with their pricing.

Carvins have their fans and plenty of people who will say negative things about them. I stand in the positive camp -- they are the best value in a pro-level US-made guitar. I've owned a few over the years, and plan to get another one shortly.

I haven't loved their pickups for my style of progressive rock, but as you know that's a very inexpensive change. But hey, where else can you custom spec your guitar with neck, woods, finish, etc... and get over a week to try it out and return if you're not happy? I suspect very few people end up doing that :p.

Scott

I've owned 4 Carvin' guitars since 1984 .
They are overall great guitars. I have experience with their M22,C22,AP11 pickup designs and in a word I would call them "versatile", they will handle many applications quite well. They also have lots of pickups to choose from, and you can always give them a jingle to discuss exactly what your looking for your pickups if you like.
 But of course if you have some certain preference then by all means change it up if you like. But you may just dig-em after-all, I'm just sayinnn....try-em out.
I do love other guitars also and and stumbled upon one of my dream guitars Gibson Les Paul custom in black with gold hardware and she was a beauty, I found that guitar while the DC400 was on order and decided to do a comparison ,and again latter with a American Fender Strat when I bought the Carvin Bolt. The Paul and Strat were used but in excellent condition and I had my guitar smith set them up. I did a play off in both cases and ended up selling them because I personally didn't think either was as good as the Carvin for my needs. That doesn't mean they weren't cool but I had  limited funds and had to make a choice (That means I needed more Mesa gear )  I liked the neck and the neck through feel on the carvin DC400 better, it was more ergonomic than the Paul and kept in tune better as well. The bolt was more comfortable for a variety of playing styles and still had a nice fenderish jangle with the AP11 pickups
Now don't get me wrong Gibson Les Paul and Fender Strat are still awesome axes in my book. I mean if you think of the word guitar and rocknroll you pretty much envision either of those two but when I AB'd them in my hands against the Carvin the choice was simple. At the time of my testing each of the new guitars was about the same price as the used guitars.
I play a variety music from hard rock/metal to strumming pop finger picking etc.

I've had the following Carvin guitar models
DC150 black found it used at guitar center 1984 set neck, my first electric a real nice guitar, the necks were a little narrower back then. It rocked. I still have it but prefer the newer ones.
AE185 Purchased from Carvin in the early 90's Koa neck through body with flamed koa top,semi holo, body binding, gold hardware, acoustic bridge, two humbuckers, I'd have to find my reciept somewhere to verify the buckers.
active electronics, the F-hole breathes on your wrist while you play, it was light weight yet had great sustain. The neck through design has a amazing feel to it. I swear you could never tire of playing this guitar and It will rock and rock hard if you tell it to. Drop tuned no problem and you could switch over to the acoustic bridge and mix in some flavor on your cleans also. The acoustic bridge will not replace a real acoustic guitar but it has some real nice hybrid tones. That one was stollen.
DC400 Flamed Koa top,  koa neck through body 5 piece neck with two dark stripes visible from back side, active or passive electronics. A great solid body guitar,C22T in the bridge this ones perfect for rock rhythm chunk high gain and C22N in the neck. After playing it all these years I may switch up the neck pickup It's fat and sings but maybe a little to fat. 
Carvin Bolt in Blueburst, got this one with one bucker and two ap11 single coils white pearloid pick guard maple neck passive electronics and wilkinson trem. Great cleans from the single coil pickups and some meat from the bucker. This was my first trem equipped guitar and I can say now I prefer the fixed bridge that's just me. I still love to play it.

I have played these guitars though my various mesa rigs through the years, 
Mesa DC-5 Combo, 
Tremoverb/Recto 4x12, 
Triaxis 2:90/Recto 4x12.

Carvins got the goods and they are made right here in California in the good ol USA, 
They may not be for everyone, but they are for me. 
I just don't think you can find a better value in a high quality electric guitar. If your ever near one of their factory stores you just have to go in and try them out for yourself to know if they are for you. I checked out the Sacramento store recently and they had some beautiful guitars in stock as well as few leftys. Those California carved tops are not only gorgeous but play great too. 

Here's a couple pics of the gals
"Lady Katherine" DC400 Anniversary Flamed Koa
Copy%20of%20P1000219%203.jpg

"Foxy Megan" Bolt in Blueburst
Copy%20of%20P1000218%202.jpg

I like my DC150 so much (I don't play my Les Paul at all anymore!) that I'm seriously considering replacing my Fender Strat with a new Carvin Bolt!

I don't know if I'll go with a kit or a pre-built guitar.

Don said:
I like my DC150 so much (I don't play my Les Paul at all anymore!) that I'm seriously considering replacing my Fender Strat with a new Carvin Bolt!

I don't know if I'll go with a kit or a pre-built guitar.

Yeah those kits are sweet, would be nice if you wanted to do some custom paint or the Tung oil route or just to know you put it together.

By the way I checked out that updated DC150 at the Carvin store and it looks way cool.
A real nice update for that guitar model.

I'm seriously considering a new AE185 12 string with a Spalted Maple Flamed top, those look so cool, I haven't bought a guitar in like ten years and I think I'm due : )

I have a DC-127 (tobacco burst) and a DC-135 (translucent green) and they are my favorite guitars. I dumped a Gibson LP Studio and a custom Ibanez SZ when I got them because they just weren't getting played anymore. The Carvins play really well, the finish is great and I like the way they look.

That said my 135 has a Dimarzio EVO-2 in the bridge and a single coil tone zone in the neck (stock carvin in the middle) and my 127 has a DUncan Screamin Demon in the bridge (stock M series in the neck). I bought them with these pickups but I have played others with stock pickups and liked them. Comes down to taste and some people are going to change the pickups on whatever they buy anyway so...

My newest guitar just got it in time for my B-day. I am so stoked.
Carvin AE185 12string, Spalted maple top, mohagony neck-thru body plays awesome.
Finally my fist 12 string after all these years : )
Copy%20of%20Hawaii%20guitar%20078.jpg

Copy%20of%20Hawaii%20guitar%20075.jpg

It has been my experience that for the $, Carvin is a great value. It helps to have a 10 day money back guarantee (unless you order some option that is not standard), but I have not had problems with the build quality of my Carvins, and I ordered mine in 2000, 2005 & 2010. I still have 2 of 3 that I ordered.

DC727FrontFull2.jpg

This was the first Carvin I ordered back in 2000, and I didn't keep it because it took me a couple of years to realize what I wanted in a 7 string guitar and I would have ordered some different options (which I eventually did).

carvins_full1.jpg

These are the 2 Carvins that I currently own. The model on the left is a 2010 DC727 (spalted maple top, mahogany neck & alder body with rosewood fingerboard, stainless steel jumbo frets, tung oil neck, gloss on the body, 20 inch radius fingerboard & non-standard 5 way blade toggle switch). The model on the right is 2005 H2 (flamed koa top with mahogany neck & body, rosewood fingerboard, 20 inch radius).

I echo the statements in this post about the pickups, and in particular, the bridge pickups would probably need changing if you play aggressive music.

If anyone has any questions about the Carvins, please let me know and I would be happy to share more information. I really like them and plan on ordering more when I have the $$$.

Regards,
Juan

I went with G&L for 2 reasons the last time I was in the market. I couldn't play a Carvin to be sure I'd like it, and I had heard the pups left a little to be desired.

You probably have a G&L dealer close by, you should go check them out also if you havn't already.

I'm in love with mine.

Latest posts

Back