Lame experience at GC testing LSS amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidinus

Reaction score
Went to try the LSS 2x12 I was excited about at Guitar Center and they also had an LSS 1x12 - Great! I get to check them both out! NOPE....

I started with the 1x12 and and channel 2 had a weird sputtering sound when I hit A-string notes...damaged; moved to the 2x12 and it had a "fizzy" sound when I switched it to 15 watt mode...damaged.

What are the odds. Talked to the sales guy there and he knew about it!
I guess they're hoping someone will go in and lay down close to 2 grand and walk out without trying the amps...

Was able to check out dimensions. I think both would be easy to move around town. The cleans on both sounded good.

Tried out a older version Lonestar Classic and I really liked it! Great clean tone. Tried channel 2 for a bit but I just wanted to get out of there by then. Am a little confused over which to get now an LSS or the new Classic coming out...

Was it rube rattle you heard or some sorta elecro-magnetic break up POP CRACK! type sound?

My LSC has tube rattle in the key of E major hardcore untill it warms up...

After I have had the amp on for around 20 min the tubes stop rattling.

weird.

I demoed an LSS thathad just been put on GC's sales floor. It turns out the staff hadn't removed the protective covers from the tubes. About 5 minutes into playing, the smell of melting rubber was in the air.

I like my LSC more than my old LSS. Many similiar tones can be had from both. The LSC has some more juice and headroom. Tough choice with the new LSC on the way. If you play only in your house, I'd recommend the new LSC. If you gig, the LSC.

Best part about Guitar Centers...is when they burn to the ground.

Was it rube rattle you heard or some sorta elecro-magnetic break up POP CRACK! type sound?

It sounded like like some wierd combination of horrible tremelo and string popping (like a bass player popping strings)...maybe erratic volume thing..we first thought it might be a bad cord.

Gots to tell ya - I'm still thinking about that LSC. I want to wait to get the new version so I can use it at home and at gigs, and also to crank leads thru 10w at gigs. It's a little tough because GC has the LSC 2x12 at 1499 and another store here would take $100.00 off from the one they're selling.

E_R said:
Best part about Guitar Centers...is when they burn to the ground.

Aint that the truth.My friends 15 yr old son took his mother to buy a Silver face Bassman head without asking anybody who knows about amps,and the kid knows a few people who he could have asked.Anyway those sacks of crap at GC sold this kid a real loser for $600,the worst shape an amp could be,I know to some degree its the kids fault,but hes 15,the salesman knew his mother knew nothing and totally ripped these people off.I was so pissed I wanted to bring it back and stuff it upthis guys...This amp was so bad nobody that has a clue would pay more than $100 for this POS.The grillcloth was ripped to shreds,two knobs smashed from an apparant drop or two,burst filter caps, 3 leaky coupling caps,100ohm heater CT resistors fried all the preamp tubes were old,tested less than minimum on my tester,old almost dead power tubes didnt even match,and not balanced with the bias balance control,filthy inside and out and "no returns-all used sales final" written on the receipt.Told them the amp was worth over $800 because its "vintage".I really wished this kid went without his mother,since he is so young I would have gone back and embarrassed the hell out of that store and got his $$$ back,but his mom wouldnt give me the receipt,said it was her fault and she would pay to fix it up,as if I could charge her.Sorry for the rant,but GC SUCKS!!!

I believe the actual Guitar Center policy is:

You get 30 days to try a product, new or used. You can return the product for a full refund within that 30 days.

The exception is Special Order items. No returns.

-Gary K

Gary K said:
I believe the actual Guitar Center policy is:

You get 30 days to try a product, new or used. You can return the product for a full refund within that 30 days.

The exception is Special Order items. No returns.

-Gary K

1+ on that. I have purchased stuff from them in the past and that was the policy that I was quoted.

picnic said:
If you play only in your house, I'd recommend the new LSC. If you gig, the LSC.

Huh :?: Just what type of recommendation is that? You want to re-read your post? :roll:

The old LSC and new LSC both have 50 and 100 watt options...so why would anyone buy the old LSC, when the new one offers an additional power setting of 10 watts, Class A?

I am not a GC fan but won't bash the chains either. I've been able to get my hands on harder to find things at GC or SA that my local shop of choice does not have nor could not get nor knew existed.

For my needs, I go there for 2 things:
#1 cables - great policy for lifetime warrantee cables like livewire and mogami (walk in with old, walk out with new)
#2 the cheaper nice to haves that I can work the price down on.

Wow you guys... lol. I've never had an issue with the guitar center near me. I love to go there, they let me play all the Mesas =) Most of the sales guys seem to be great dudes and are nice and helpful. Maybe we just have good water over here 8)

i was checking out 4-6 amps at guitar center & 2 of them were pretty messed up. it was noticable as soon as the amps were on. i dont expect less from GC. they just want the green.

Just would like to clarify I couldn't believe how the store (on northside of town) is going down the tubes...people were nice but it started feeling like scam city...and they're letting the guitars get messed up too. I was handed an EJ strat to audition the amps and it need some setup work and the white knob on the pickup selector was missing...this is a $1700.00 dollar strat they're letting go downhhill!

Southside GC (by where I live) is better maintained and , once again, the people are easy to talk to, good people. They just don't carry Mesa stuff...

I don't hate GC, just thought I could expect more than what I walked into...

Latest posts

Back