KRANK

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never played one, but, I have seen them before at a couple of music sstores. They had "Kleen" and a "Kranked?" channels. I don't think I'd want to drop $1,600 on an amp with a "Kleen" channel, for I'd rather have a "Clean" channel ("Kleen", that is so f'n cheesy!) The quality & construction didn't look like it was worth $1,600, that is enough to make me pass one up. I also find it odd that the late Dimebag Darrell, who for many years favored solid state Randall amps, started endorsing these. While I have had a lot of respect for Dimebag as a person as well as his playing skills, I do feel that his tone was more to be desired.

eldi said:
I also find it odd that the late Dimebag Darrell, who for many years favored solid state Randall amps, started endorsing these. While I have had a lot of respect for Dimebag as a person as well as his playing skills, I do feel that his tone was more to be desired.

I find it odd that people who love Dime's tone buy Krank. You'd figure they'd buy Randall, seeing as that's what he used. From talking to some friends of mine, even the last Damageplan album sounds like it's mostly Randall, they say they can only hear parts here and there where there's a different sounding amp on it that's plainly tube.

I got to hear one for the first time live at volume tonight.

It was played solely on the Kleen channel and with a sparkle drive and TC g-system it sounded incredible. Granted, it was being played in a traditional sonic range of an electric guitar not the bottom heavy range that our Recto fans adore. The amp was a lively tube amp that sounded really clean. And no it wasn't a country band either.

In fact the band playing tonight was F5. For those not familiar with them it is a Phoenix based band that is the current home of Dave Ellefson (former bassist of Megadeth). Their lineup consists of a rhythm guitarist, a lead guitarist, Dave, a drummer (also named Dave), and a singer. Both guitarists play Kranks. There are also 2 Kranks in each setup. To my ears they sounded nothing like a modeler nor any pedal. When they would switch into the Kranked channel they sounded good too. Their lead guitarist is also a recording engineer. I would think that having heard many amps that he would have chosen the best tool (amp) for the job. I was thinking nicer cleans than Mesa but not quited Fender (could have been the Sparkle Drive or TCE making it sound good though). In fact, he told me after the set that the key to the sweet tone he was getting was from the Sparkle Drive. I am now curious to try the Sparkle Drive into my Mark IV.

I tried the Sparkle Drive at my local GC and was not impressed but then again how often do they let you turn up to gig level? or bring stuff into the Accessories Dept from the other parts of the store or vice versa? I always thought that was strange. They are in the business to sell gear but don't like you to turn up.

There is a Krank at my local GC right now. I might take it into the high dollar room to try it loud. I have seen lesser amps in there before. The last time I was there (a couple weeks ago) they had a 1/2 stack that was a trade-in. They were having a sale so it might be gone already. I will try to get over there to give it a fair run.

Dude's I know this will sound incredible.... and it may mean the end of amplfication as we know it.

The numerical value of KRANK is 55
The numerical value of DAVINCI is 62
The numerical value of BAD is 7

55 + 7 = 62
KRANK + BAD = DAVINCI.....
Lord help us all :D

Bobbypols said:
the funny thing is, that guitar world gave the krankinstien a platnium award and for some reason said it was awesome...MORAL OF THE STORY: always pay less, and don t listen to reviews from magazines.

Russ said:
I got to hear one for the first time live at volume tonight.

It was played solely on the Kleen channel and with a sparkle drive and TC g-system it sounded incredible. Granted, it was being played in a traditional sonic range of an electric guitar not the bottom heavy range that our Recto fans adore. The amp was a lively tube amp that sounded really clean. And no it wasn't a country band either.

In fact the band playing tonight was F5. For those not familiar with them it is a Phoenix based band that is the current home of Dave Ellefson (former bassist of Megadeth). Their lineup consists of a rhythm guitarist, a lead guitarist, Dave, a drummer (also named Dave), and a singer. Both guitarists play Kranks. There are also 2 Kranks in each setup. To my ears they sounded nothing like a modeler nor any pedal. When they would switch into the Kranked channel they sounded good too. Their lead guitarist is also a recording engineer. I would think that having heard many amps that he would have chosen the best tool (amp) for the job. I was thinking nicer cleans than Mesa but not quited Fender (could have been the Sparkle Drive or TCE making it sound good though). In fact, he told me after the set that the key to the sweet tone he was getting was from the Sparkle Drive. I am now curious to try the Sparkle Drive into my Mark IV.

I tried the Sparkle Drive at my local GC and was not impressed but then again how often do they let you turn up to gig level? or bring stuff into the Accessories Dept from the other parts of the store or vice versa? I always thought that was strange. They are in the business to sell gear but don't like you to turn up.

There is a Krank at my local GC right now. I might take it into the high dollar room to try it loud. I have seen lesser amps in there before. The last time I was there (a couple weeks ago) they had a 1/2 stack that was a trade-in. They were having a sale so it might be gone already. I will try to get over there to give it a fair run.

Doesn't Dave Ellefson work for Peavey? :D

I believe he is currently playing Peavey gear. Last night he was playing his signature bass and a Peavey rig. As far as working for Peavey I don't know. I do know that he is currently playing in a handful of bands including F5 that I saw last night and Soulfly. He has a bunch of stuff going on right now actually, videos, instructional tours, a book, the bands, the gear, etc.

He was a nice guy when I spoke to him last night. Considering the success he had with Megadeth it could have easily been a Dave Ellefson show but it wasn't. He just fit in like the Megadeth days only the rest of the band was not Megadeth.

TheRazMeister said:
...The numerical value of KRANK is 55

55 + 7 = 62
Lord help us all :D ...

Was that a KRANK amp Tom Hanks was playing?

And here I thought George W was the anti-Christ. It's Tom Hanks!!

H-A-N-K-S
K-R-A-N-K

If you take the S and replace the R in Krank, switch the 1st 2 letters, you get SKANK...also if add the name Tom.....oh never mind 8)

PS - tried a Krank...Lead tones unusable...They have a distinctly Metal rhythm sound but why get a one trick pony.

yettoblaster said:
TheRazMeister said:
...The numerical value of KRANK is 55

55 + 7 = 62
Lord help us all :D ...

Was that a KRANK amp Tom Hanks was playing?

And here I thought George W was the anti-Christ. It's Tom Hanks!!

I just got an E-mail from Steve of F5 and he told me that it is a Revolution head if that makes any difference. I really liked the tone he was getting out of it. It was cleaner than any Mesa I have ever heard and with the Tele with the Voodoo Sparkle Drive running into it with the TCE G-System it really sounded good. At times it was just the Revolution and it sounded good. I am not going to sell my Mark IV to get one or even my Marshalls but I might consider one instead of a Fender because the gain sounded better in the Krank. I have been considering a clean amp for a while and I think this gets my vote for now. You guys are sounding a lot like the guys on the Marshall forums when I mention the Mark IV or any other Mesa.

I went to go see Children of Bodom back in April, GREAT SHOW! Anyways! the second opening act...God Forbid I think?... the guitarists were using Kranks. The amps when played by themselves sounded ok, I wasn't impressed. As soon as the whole band started playing, the amps sounded better, very clean - I'm sorry! - Kleen sounding. I even took my ear plugs out to really hear the amp. Basically? the amp sounded like metal.

Russ...I wouldn't expect anything less from the Marshall forum OR the Mesa forum. We're here because we appreciate the standards that Mesa has set in the amplification world. The same is true for the other 'M' amp. I'm sure the Krank amp is fine, as are countless other brands..VHT, Genz Benz, Engl, Bogner, etc...Heck, my Crate V32 does some wonderful things but I don't expect to hear pronouncements that we'll all be selling our Boogies for brand X. I'll be honest in saying that I've listened to clips from Krank's site and was only mildy impressed...I tried one at Sam Ash and it was horrendous, absolutely no tone. BTW - clips from DrZ and other "boutque" amps also leave me thinking I made the right decision with my Mesa.
Russ said:
I just got an E-mail from Steve of F5 and he told me that it is a Revolution head if that makes any difference. I really liked the tone he was getting out of it. It was cleaner than any Mesa I have ever heard and with the Tele with the Voodoo Sparkle Drive running into it with the TCE G-System it really sounded good. At times it was just the Revolution and it sounded good. I am not going to sell my Mark IV to get one or even my Marshalls but I might consider one instead of a Fender because the gain sounded better in the Krank. I have been considering a clean amp for a while and I think this gets my vote for now. You guys are sounding a lot like the guys on the Marshall forums when I mention the Mark IV or any other Mesa.

I am not saying to sell your Mesa and go get a Krank by any means. I am just trying to say that they can sound good with the right gear in the right setting with the right guy playing. I am sure that you weren't playing at gig volume with a full band accompanying you either at Sam Ash. This is where I think in store demos can suck. It isn't like you could go get a TCE G-system and a bunch of other effects and highdollar guitars and get your whole band playing in there together at gig volume. When I go out I listen to the tone of people's gear and playing styles. I try to see if I can pick out what they are playing without looking. Then I see if I am right. Of course there is usually a big logo on the cabinets and heads and the guitar is right there in front of you too but before I checkout a band visually I listen to them first a little. If I like what I hear then I pay attention to them. If not, it is all about cruisin around during the set scoping other things out :wink:

Why does everyone think that I would suggest selling their gear to get what I comment about? I only comment to help shed some light on things that people might not have observed themselves. At that, I really do not like the Krank Amps. I just found that the Revolution gets some nice Kleens. I would much rather have a DR or my Mark IV or even one of my Marshalls for the distortion.

Has anyone tried a Voodoo Sparkle Drive into their Mark IV?

Actually, the former members of Creed were at SamAsh and asked me to fire up an amp and we recorded a "live" at SA DVD :p
But...you're right Russ. the amp was played at low/medium volumes with only a guitar and no effects. I guess (and this wasn't directed at you) where I get somewhat annoyed is I'm constantly reading threads about guys that buy another amp and then it's "It smokes my Mesa", "The Mesa can't hold a candle to....", etc. I had one guy try to convince me that his Ibanez Toneblaster was MUCH better than the ROV. :roll:
What I have found is that nearly all good tube amps will get varying degrees of good/great tones and that at any given time, the new flavor of amp may sound better just because it's new.
So...anyone have a Bedrock 50 watt combo :p

Russ said:
I am not saying to sell your Mesa and go get a Krank by any means. I am just trying to say that they can sound good with the right gear in the right setting with the right guy playing. I am sure that you weren't playing at gig volume with a full band accompanying you either at Sam Ash. This is where I think in store demos can suck. It isn't like you could go get a TCE G-system and a bunch of other effects and highdollar guitars and get your whole band playing in there together at gig volume. When I go out I listen to the tone of people's gear and playing styles. I try to see if I can pick out what they are playing without looking. Then I see if I am right. Of course there is usually a big logo on the cabinets and heads and the guitar is right there in front of you too but before I checkout a band visually I listen to them first a little. If I like what I hear then I pay attention to them. If not, it is all about cruisin around during the set scoping other things out :wink:

Why does everyone think that I would suggest selling their gear to get what I comment about? I only comment to help shed some light on things that people might not have observed themselves. At that, I really do not like the Krank Amps. I just found that the Revolution gets some nice Kleens. I would much rather have a DR or my Mark IV or even one of my Marshalls for the distortion.

Has anyone tried a Voodoo Sparkle Drive into their Mark IV?

krank... their speaker cabinets alone are like over $900. maybe they were trying to correct the shortcomings of the amp with a nice cab? lmao - "kleen" channal

oh yeah, and WalMart started making guitar amps, they're called Sam's Choice . Samsamp for short, hmm i smell a lawsuit!

dont diss the cabs for being expensive they are solid poplar woods cabs. Mesa/Marshall use 7 ply laminated birch

prs_cky said:
dont diss the cabs for being expensive they are solid poplar woods cabs. Mesa/Marshall use 7 ply laminated birch

13 ply if I remember correctly.

And solid wood doesn't neccissarily mean good tone....

Back