Just picked up my new Mark V!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunner

Reaction score
Within one strum I new this was the amp for me. It is amazing! I do have some concerns however: 1) I have the model with the metal cage around the tubes and it prevents me from being able to put the footswitch in the bag. 2) There is intermeiitent crackling/scratching noises usually when I switch to a different power setting. 3) I've noticed some popping when I switch channels on the footswitch. Anybody else had these issues? One more time - this amp is amazing!

Congrats..mine has the aluminum channel bar..no cage.But I'm still iffy bout putting that footswitch back there.Its kinda tight hehe.Luckily I've had no issues with popping or any noise whatsoever for that matter.Just the agony that is sorting through a ton of tones hehe.Surely someone here could make some suggestions for you.Sooner or later the right guy will see your post.
Or maybe 97 people will view it and not say a word *shrugs*.Hope it works out man...congrats again on a fine new amp.

10 watt mode is a bit different from the 45 and 90, so if you plan on using it, it's wise to use it on all three channels. Chances are you won't get a pop when switching. The manual explains this and is actually quite fun to read after you get your initial agressions out. Power settings have a huge effect on tone with the FIVE. For modes.. FAT/Crunch/MkIV are a great place to start. Have fun!

Scary said:
10 watt mode is a bit different from the 45 and 90, so if you plan on using it, it's wise to use it on all three channels. Chances are you won't get a pop when switching. The manual explains this and is actually quite fun to read after you get your initial agressions out. Power settings have a huge effect on tone with the FIVE. For modes.. FAT/Crunch/MkIV are a great place to start. Have fun!
+1: read the manual!!!!

In the same wattage settings I believe the footswitch allows quiet channel switching. The rotarys and toggles are open transiton with a pop.

Check out the tone threads too. The there are the tube change threads for more tone variation if you get bored :wink:

Enjoy, you have an entire weekend to tweak!!

Follow-up here: The amp was cutting in and out and the crackling noises got worse. I decided to see if all tubes were seated in the sockets satisfactorily. I took all the metal covers off the 12AX7's and lo and behold the V1A, input stage, was broke. The tip was off and there was a hole in the top. At first I thought maybe that I broke it off but I looked inside the amp and couldn't find the glass tip. I put an old Fender brand 12AX7 in there and all the problems vanished. I've tried every channel, mode and power settings and it's dead quiet. I emailed the Mesa Warranty dept and hope to get a replacement soon. After this experience, I think anyone that is shipped an amp should check the tubes first after unboxing the amp. Signed, Happy Tone Hunter

Im sure they'll sort it out mate, as for the cage around the tubes, mine is somewhere in the shed now as its the first thing i took off! Only four screw and its not really needed unless you're a complete animal with moving your gear around! :lol:

Latest posts

Back