Just grabbed a Studio preamp on a whim. What am I in for?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another question for the Studio and Quad users here:

Since I'm VERY short on cash at the moment, I think I'm gonna start with a Peavey 50/50 power amp. In a few months when I have more money I can sell it and step up to a Mesa poweramp if I want to.

From what I've read, the Peavey 50/50 is very transparent and clean, where the Mesa poweramps tend to add a bit of their own character to the tone. For my Studio Pre, would I be better off with a transparent poweramp or one that adds to the tone?

FastRedPonyCar - how transparent is that Carvin amp of yours?

FastRedPonyCar said:
the small 4 space case is the SKB roto mold case. It's too shallow to hold the studio pre so I go the SKB 8 space case.

If you're referring to a vid with everything in it (furman, gmajor, amp, poweramp, etc) it's the SKB 8 space case. And it's not as bad of a back cracker as I thought it would be. I can probably make it about 60 feet before I have to set it down. :oops:

I could probably carry it further but scoliosis is a *****.

Ah thanks for the info. That SKB is expensive! I liked how you floated the poweramp so you had a cubbyhole under it to store things. Thats pretty much why I was interested in it haha.

I got my T100 for $350 from www.chrisguitars.com

he's got a TS100 (basically the newer model) for around the same price. The newer one can use 6L6's as mine is EL34 only and it's more transparent than mine which can be good or bad.

Mike, eventually it'll be filled (the empty space). I'm tossing around the idea of a DBX dual 15 band eq to have separate eq's for each cab (as they're totally different sounding) and top it off with a 1 space rack drawer to hold tubes, tools, picks, etc.

DMTransmutation said:
Anyone here would tell you the Studios are built very solid. I mean they were built during the Cold War, so...

What the? Cold War?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_war

Built tough just in case the US had to resort to dropping mesa preamps onto soviet targets... they could go collect them after they destroyed their targets and re-use them.

FastRedPonyCar said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_war

Built tough just in case the US had to resort to dropping mesa preamps onto soviet targets... they could go collect them after they destroyed their targets and re-use them.

hahahahaha!

DMTransmutation said:
To answer your question about the Simul Class 2:90...unless you're in a metal band who has another guitar player with another 100 watt tube amp, its waaaaay overkill as far as volume. Granted it does have the Half-Power mode which is nice - but to tell you the truth, for the year and a half I had the 2:90, I never turned off the Half-Power mode!

Currently I'm still trying to decide between the 20/20 and the 50/50. I guess I'll just wait and see what kind of deal I'll find on either, but I'm really leaning towards the old 50/50 because it has the Low Power (15 watts) switch. I'd recommend that one to you as well. It'll take up 2 spaces in the rack and they go for around $550 on ebay.

As for the 20/20, since they're newer they tend to be going for MORE $$$ than the 50/50's. I've always wanted to try a lower wattage power amp, but if I can score a 50/50 for less I'd go for it.

You're forgetting though that the 20/20 is EL84 only and although the 50/50 is 6L6 only, the new 2:50 is both EL34 and 6L6 selectable.

Further, the 2:90 is very versatile compared to the 50/50 as it has 3 different settings for the sound, being modern, deep and half drive. It's also simulclass, half the tubes are in class A and the other half are running in class AB. ( Ah I just went back and read that you owned a 2:90 for a year and a half. I'm sure you know all of this then haha. Maybe the guy you replied to doesn't though..)

Modern mode is awesome, I don't think I'd like my 2:100 without it. It's great.

Well I thought the 2:90 was awesome all around, but I wanted to make the point that there's other amazing sounding tube poweramps for half the price.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Peavey 50/50 because it has Resonance and Presence knobs, its light, and they go for around $300. That's a great price. If I don't like it, I'll step up to a Mesa one later on when I have the money.

DMTransmutation said:
Well I thought the 2:90 was awesome all around, but I wanted to make the point that there's other amazing sounding tube poweramps for half the price.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Peavey 50/50 because it has Resonance and Presence knobs, its light, and they go for around $300. That's a great price. If I don't like it, I'll step up to a Mesa one later on when I have the money.

Ah but the resonance from peavey is tuned for peavey cabinets if i'm not mistaken. I'm sure when you tweak it it will have some results and probably use-able but i read somewhere to get the most out of it you'd have to use a peavey cabinet. It could be all b.s. and I'm sure it functions as a bass boost fine on any cabinet... I never knew they were that cheap. I'm gonna look them up now :) By the way if you dont mind me asking, what does the deep setting do on the 2:90, rather how does it sound (I know it's from the triaxis basically)?

DMTransmutation said:

I was in the same boat. I had to buy a new rack case, power amp and a couple other things and while I COULD have gotten a nicer power amp, I wanted to try the less expensive ones first. I actually had a VHT 2/50/2 on hold from a guy but decided against it as $700 was just a lot of $$ to spend on a power amp at this time.

I'm so happy with the carvin 50/50 though. It really does add lots of power and mojo to the feel and sound that numerous high dollar solid state power amps and a couple of amp's tube power sections just didn't offer.

I say go for the peavey. Worst case scenario, you don't like it and you sell it and probably break even. At the least, you would know you at least gave it a shot and if you like it, hey look you saved a couple/few hundred bucks.

Ah but the resonance from peavey is tuned for peavey cabinets if i'm not mistaken.

Its likely that it works better with peavey cabs, but in all the reviews I read on HC, not a single person mentioned this.

what does the deep setting do on the 2:90, rather how does it sound (I know it's from the triaxis basically)?

If you want your 2:90 to sound like a thumpy Recto, the deep mode is where its at. I used it with my ADA MP-1 and it gave the thing a real bone crushing sound. I love being able to add low-end at the power-amp level. It gives you a certain sound that you just cannot get from just tweaking the bass on the preamp.

I say go for the peavey. Worst case scenario, you don't like it and you sell it and probably break even. At the least, you would know you at least gave it a shot and if you like it, hey look you saved a couple/few hundred bucks.

Amen.

DMTransmutation said:
Ah but the resonance from peavey is tuned for peavey cabinets if i'm not mistaken.

Its likely that it works better with peavey cabs, but in all the reviews I read on HC, not a single person mentioned this.

what does the deep setting do on the 2:90, rather how does it sound (I know it's from the triaxis basically)?

If you want your 2:90 to sound like a thumpy Recto, the deep mode is where its at. I used it with my ADA MP-1 and it gave the thing a real bone crushing sound. I love being able to add low-end at the power-amp level. It gives you a certain sound that you just cannot get from just tweaking the bass on the preamp.

Yeah I don't know if people on HC will know that... lol I can't remember I think peavey actually mentions it.. Then again it could be a ploy to buy their shitty cabs. lol

The modern mode on my 2:100 does that to my sound when i click it on it's like BAM! volume boost and more bass. It sounds thick. I wonder what modern mode is like on the 2:90 with deep also. Can you do both at once?

Then again it could be a ploy to buy their sh!t cabs.

Yea, every Peavey cab I've ever played sounded like ***. If Peavey mentioned it, its probably just like when you buy a pedal and the manual says "Use ONLY with the Boss 9volt adapter". Buuullllssshhhiiiiittttttt...

The modern mode on my 2:100 does that to my sound when i click it on it's like BAM! volume boost and more bass. It sounds thick. I wonder what modern mode is like on the 2:90 with deep also. Can you do both at once?

Yea, you can do any combination of Deep, Modern, and Half-Drive. I did not use Modern mode at all because I already EQ'ed the hi-gain patch on the preamp to have those sizzly highs. I did use Deep a lot though, whenever I played anything heavy. I also used Half-Drive pretty much the entire time I had it. The 2:90's manual describes using all 3 modes at the same time as "the ultimate combination".

I think you're getting a very similar, if not identical sound with your 2:100's Modern switch. Don't forget - the 2:90 was designed years before the 2:100. So from what I can tell, the 2:100 basically inherited the Deep and Modern modes but combined them into one switch. I've always wondered why they called it the "Rectifier Stereo 100" if it does not have a tube rectifier...or a bold/spongy variac! I have yet to see a rack poweramp that has a variac and/or tube rectifier.

DMTransmutation said:
Then again it could be a ploy to buy their sh!t cabs.

Yea, every Peavey cab I've ever played sounded like ***. If Peavey mentioned it, its probably just like when you buy a pedal and the manual says "Use ONLY with the Boss 9volt adapter". Buuullllssshhhiiiiittttttt...

Yea, you can do any combination of Deep, Modern, and Half-Drive. I did not use Modern mode at all because I already EQ'ed the hi-gain patch on the preamp to have those sizzly highs. I did use Deep a lot though, whenever I played anything heavy. I also used Half-Drive pretty much the entire time I had it. The 2:90's manual describes using all 3 modes at the same time as "the ultimate combination".

I think you're getting a very similar, if not identical sound with your 2:100's Modern switch. Don't forget - the 2:90 was designed years before the 2:100. So from what I can tell, the 2:100 basically inherited the Deep and Modern modes but combined them into one switch. I've always wondered why they called it the "Rectifier Stereo 100" if it does not have a tube rectifier...or a bold/spongy variac! I have yet to see a rack poweramp that has a variac and/or tube rectifier.

Haha i know it's only silicon diode. It's called rectifier though because it has the exact same power section as the duals. with the recto recording pre running into it.... it's like having 2 dual recto half stacks power-wise...

also the modern mode on the 2:100 reduces negative feedback so.. it's not just eq'ing of the tone.. (i'm not sure what reducing negative feedback does) i can say that it sounds monstrous when it's kicked on. deep and modern from the 2:90 must be the same as modern on the 2:100.

+1 on companies lying to make you buy their gear only lol.

well as far as cabs go, most companies put effort into matching them to their respective heads. Rectos and recto cab go well, 5150 and 5150 cabs go well, framus cobras and their cabs go well to. Most of the companies actually put effort into finding the right size to make the cab and speaker to put in to get the intended sound, obviously we all hear differently and may like the recto with the tradional cab, or with a marshall cab.

that said, the resonance is the deep , depth, low, bottom end knob that every other amp manufacturer is putting on their amps now, because presence isnt enough.. all we need is a honk knob for mids and they'll be 2 "Eq's" on every amp ;)

either way, the peavey 5150 cab would have say a resonant frequency of say 80hz, and the amp has a dial that may be tuned to hit that just the right way...

but im pretty sure my manual said that the resonance knob is just used to boost lows and compensate for the cab you are using... like if you want a more bassy sound from a 1x12.. or if you are like me have use a 5150II with a recto 4x12, you can try and cut the bassy out with it.. or crank it til it hits you in the chest.. :)

dmcguitar said:
well as far as cabs go, most companies put effort into matching them to their respective heads. Rectos and recto cab go well, 5150 and 5150 cabs go well, framus cobras and their cabs go well to. Most of the companies actually put effort into finding the right size to make the cab and speaker to put in to get the intended sound, obviously we all hear differently and may like the recto with the tradional cab, or with a marshall cab.

that said, the resonance is the deep , depth, low, bottom end knob that every other amp manufacturer is putting on their amps now, because presence isnt enough.. all we need is a honk knob for mids and they'll be 2 "Eq's" on every amp ;)

either way, the peavey 5150 cab would have say a resonant frequency of say 80hz, and the amp has a dial that may be tuned to hit that just the right way...

but im pretty sure my manual said that the resonance knob is just used to boost lows and compensate for the cab you are using... like if you want a more bassy sound from a 1x12.. or if you are like me have use a 5150II with a recto 4x12, you can try and cut the bassy out with it.. or crank it til it hits you in the chest.. :)

Good points made. I think you kinda touched on what I was saying that Peavey's resonance is tuned to a certain freq and their cabs are also. Also the term used for the control is "resonance" so if it's boosting a certain freq area and the cab is tuned to that the resonant freq it will make it sound really loud because everything has a resonant frequency.

we totally highjacked this guy's thread haha

DMTransmutation said:
To answer your question about the Simul Class 2:90...unless you're in a metal band who has another guitar player with another 100 watt tube amp, its waaaaay overkill as far as volume. Granted it does have the Half-Power mode which is nice - but to tell you the truth, for the year and a half I had the 2:90, I never turned off the Half-Power mode!

I really don't find this to be the case. Do you have your input level set to "line" or "instrument"? I had mine on instrument for a while and someone gave me a tip to switch it to line... and voila! Volume problem solved. Now I can crank my Triaxis output to 6 (w/ lead channel master at 4.5) and the 2:90 can still be cranked all the way to 10-11-even 12 o'clock at useable bedroom volumes!

One other thing worth noting about the studio pre is that odds are, in standby mode you'll hear sound from the amp. It'll be a quiet sound but...and I'm pretty stinking embarrased to admit this.. but I went through an entire sound check this past wed night with the preamp in standby mode trying to figure out why the amp wasn't very loud!

I had all the master, volume, output knobs, etc all at 9 and 10 and I was going from the pre into a solid state 1X15 bass amp combo amp's FX loop return. I've used it before and never had a problem but it wasn't nearly this quiet before...

so after sound check was over, I reached up to flip the amp into standby mode and noticed it was already in standby. the silence of me standing there looking at that standby switch was deafening....

I really don't find this to be the case. Do you have your input level set to "line" or "instrument"? I had mine on instrument for a while and someone gave me a tip to switch it to line... and voila! Volume problem solved. Now I can crank my Triaxis output to 6 (w/ lead channel master at 4.5) and the 2:90 can still be cranked all the way to 10-11-even 12 o'clock at useable bedroom volumes!

I did the same thing to get bedroom levels. I didn't mean that the amp is "too loud". Any 100 watt amp can be played with the volume real low and not be heard in the next room. My point was that the $600-700 for the 2:90 isn't necessarily worth it when there's great 50-watters for half the price. I was making this point because that's the road I'm on right now.

One other thing worth noting about the studio pre is that odds are, in standby mode you'll hear sound from the amp.

I noticed this too. I was surprised, but not disappointed. Its SO quiet. I always just use the standby switch on the power section anyway.

Why would one even use the standby switch on the preamp? Is it so that the tubes don't get hit with current when you power it up?

DMTransmutation said:

I did the same thing to get bedroom levels. I didn't mean that the amp is "too loud". Any 100 watt amp can be played with the volume real low and not be heard in the next room. My point was that the $600-700 for the 2:90 isn't necessarily worth it when there's great 50-watters for half the price. I was making this point because that's the road I'm on right now.

One other thing worth noting about the studio pre is that odds are, in standby mode you'll hear sound from the amp.

I noticed this too. I was surprised, but not disappointed. Its SO quiet. I always just use the standby switch on the power section anyway.

Why would one even use the standby switch on the preamp? Is it so that the tubes don't get hit with current when you power it up?

It's useless to me and really unnecessary as far as the old preserve the tube life myth.

It takes the amp about 15 seconds to actually reach full output.

Latest posts

Back