Just got new Roadster Head-fixed white noise-no popping

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwjrdto2000

Reaction score
I just got in a new Roadster head, ordered Feb. 19, rec'd April 16. I bought a Trad'l Recto Slant 4X12 cab to go with it. I had not used a tube amp before this one. I started it up for the first time and noticed an extreme amount of white noise coming from the speakers when the guitar wasn't playing. I was horrified, it was more noise than I had seen from an eq pedal without a noise gate on my Peavey Bandit. I tried several things, one was to try a guitar without emg's, that didn't help, nothing helped. Finally I took off the Brand New Monster SP-1000 3 ft. cable I had bought to run from the amp to the cab, and put on a spare 20 ft. Monster SP-100 cable (cheapie). The white noise went away, it is now as quiet as a church mouse when you aren't playing through it. I plan to replace the cheap cable soon. Thought I'd let you know in case this ever comes up.

Also, mine does not do the popping when changing from channel to channel that some have complained about.

Correct, the noise went away just by using the cheap cable from the amp to the cab. I don't know if all SP-1000's would inject noise like this one did, or just the one I got, maybe I got a dud.

No, it is a speaker cable, see link below. I took apart the ends to see if there was anything out of the ordinary, and all I could tell is that the hot wire where it was soldered was coming close to coming through the insulator, I thought maybe it was coming in contact with the steel jacket that you unscrew which would have created a short, but I ran an ohm meter over the top of it and couldn't detect any break through, although you can feel it with your finger or fingernail. When you screw the jacket on and off you can hear the jacket rubbing that place.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Monster-Cable-SP1000-Speaker-Cable-14?sku=331667

Good to hear it's the right cable. Must just be a lemon.

The reason I asked is because that almost happened to me when I bought my first Boogie. The salesman recommended a good quality speaker cable. I agreed, and he came back with an instument cable by mistake.

Dom

I have never been so impressed from a single purchase, as to "upgrade" my tone, as I was after investing/hearing the Evidence Audio cables! Namely: The Lyric HG instrument cable and the Siren II speaker cable! Amazing! Highly recommended! :idea:

jbird said:
Check out www.lavacable.com
Check out the buyers guide for comparisons!

For that price, it BETTER sound good :!: :!: :!: My goodness.....

1 foot of cable $62
3 Feet cable for almost $80.
You want 21 feet or a new guitar? :lol:

-AJH

Ya, it's quite interesting huh? :eek:

And with the touch sensitivity/dynamics of this new amp, it was imperitive, and well worth it! :wink:

I mean, quite amazing! :shock:

Uh, wife-beater cables? Oh, wait!

Rapco Road-Hog 18ft instrument, and some commercial 3ft 12 gauge speaker cable w/Nuetrik ends!

Ya want em?

What will happen if you use an "instrument" cable when connecting your head to your cab? What is the difference between the two? The cable connecting my head to my cab seems a bit thicker when compared to my cable used in my guitar, but otherwise the same.

domct203 said:
I sure hope this is not the type of cable you are refering to.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...00-Instrument-Cable-StraightAngled?sku=331663

Does it say "speaker cable" on your cables?? I hope you are not mistakenly using an instrument cable. Maybe the salesman grabbed an instrument cable instead of speaker cable. That would be a no-no.

Dom

Back