Just got myself a sweet Mark II: ?'s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honkytone

Reaction score
Hello all.
It's been a while since I've had the privilege of owning a Boogie but I'm back.
It's definitely a Mark II but I have some ?'s so hopefully u guys can help me. It's a 1x12 with absolutely gorgeous imbuya cab and wicker grill. Also has GEQ with 100/60 watt switch. Bought it from a gentleman that claims to have ordered it from factory.
No footswitch but what r ya gonna do ? Get a new one.
My main question is about whether or not its a IIA or a IIB.
If I recall the serial # on these would be stamped on the back control panel of the chassis right?P
The serial # is 56xx.
It also has the fx send and return if that helps.
BTW it contains my all-time favorite guitar speaker, the Altec 417-8H!
I have another one in a decent little open back cab. Sweet tone my friends!!!
I'll try to post some pics of the beautiful beast tomorrow.
Thanx for all the info you fellas enlighten us with!

--Chris

Yeah thats what I figured. They call it an fx loop but it's worth a dogpile. Is there a mod to correct the signal overload in there?

Forgot to mention it's marked 8/18/80 on the underside of the chassis. Does that correspond with the serial #?

Yes, there is a loop mod for the II-B.
Call Mike Bendinelli at Petaluma.

Thanx guys.
Any of you Mark II owners using a volume pedal to go between rythym and lead channels?
If so, what's a good vol pedal to get or will pretty much any one work well?

igfraso said:
Yes, there is a loop mod for the II-B.
Call Mike Bendinelli at Petaluma.
Its just about standard practice if you have a Mark IIB getting this mod if your Mark IIB doesn't have already.

I too like the Altec 417-8H. I played Mark II with JBL K-120, an EVM-12L but among these three I like the Altec. Hearing may vary with other guitarists.

Yes, opinions vary quite a bit about the Altec, especially in these amps but I just love the warmth and organic tone it gives. The EV is OK but I just tend to gravitate to that alnico tone more so. However, I've never tried another speaker in one of these and my experience with different brands/models in general is limited.

This amp definitely does not have the loop mod but I plan on having it done asap as the general consensus around here is that if you own the Mark IIB it MUST be done :lol: I do love the stock tone of both channels so far though. But, there always seems to be room for improvement. The mod might just make it perfect though!!

I won't say if this effect loop modification will drastically improve the overall tone. But it will improve the reverb, won't sound tubby, but more spacious.

And you do get a "limit control" to adjust your effect signals in the effect loop.

But even if you don't use the effect loop this limit control has its function. Say you like your lead and rhythm settings but its too darn loud. You just go to limit control (likely in back) and dial down. Both lead and rhythm setting volume will go down. I suppose you could lower the master but this limit control is a bit different like "variac" (but not technically the same).

Yeah, my buddy had a Mark II playing through a pair of Altecs. I thought it was going to be the run of the mill hi efficient speakers but to my pleasant surprise the Altecs were fat sounding. No wonder Carlos Santana at the time liked them. (He currently using Tone Tubbys).

I was thinking about Santana the other day wondering what his rig is like these days. What amp(s) does he use these days?

Honkytone said:
I was thinking about Santana the other day wondering what his rig is like these days. What amp(s) does he use these days?
Dumble amps.

=> Randall Smith popularized "cascading" pre-amp tubes which many amp manufacturers in the 80s and now has copied or some variation of this design.

Today, Dumble amps are highly copied from Two Rocks, Brown Note D-Lite series, Cieratone's Overtone Special, Fuch Overdrive Supreme to name a few.

well, I actually got to open her up tonight and will be doing some more tomorrow. I ran the mark IIB with it's stock Altec and my Altec connected together. ****... what a beautiful little piece of art. It felt more like I was running it through a 4x12!

Good God! Been jamming thru this lil beast all day... LOUD!!! beeeyootifull tone. Gotta get another for stereo operation! Unblieveable fun!

i use a Yamaha DG Stomp thru my IIb fx loop, and it has input and output control.

when i dial the output of the Stomp at unity, i get absolutely no overdrive in my fx loop.

no mod.

sounds awesome.

I just found an old DeArmond volume pedal and tried the fx loop trick. Well it does work but it only lowers the volume and doesn't effect the gain; just lowers the volume keeping the same tone which I guess could be useful in the bedroom situation when u want low volume operation with the same tone or just a plain old volume pedal. I guess that won't work any more in loop if I get the fx loop mod. I think I'll go with the mod. Anyway got myself a cool vintage vol pedal for 20 bucks.

Just checking in to say I did in fact buy another Mark IIB with black tolex and the same features as my previous IIB except this one has el-34's and the EV speaker. I must say that it is a perfect compliment to the first. These little monsters are perfect for me and set up stereo sound godly. Btw this one has had the fx loop mod and of course the power tubes are now el-34's. Sounds wonderful.

The way you can effect the gain with a volume pedal is described here: http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/MarkIIB.html

"Gil Ayan writes: A cool and little-known option with the effects loop of a Mark IIB (or original Mark II): one can run the output of a volume pedal (without your guitar being plugged into its input) into the 'return' jack, and get on-the-fly preamp gain control. This is a feature that very few tube amps have ever had, even inadvertently - it uses the pot in the volume pedal as a passive limiting device, such that when the pedal is 'wide open,' it allows the pre amp tubes' full voltage to pass into the power section. As the pedal is backed off, it decreases the amount of pre amp signal allowed through the 'loop,' cleaning up the sound. To make use of this feature, setting the clean channel's pre amp to 9 and using an Ernie Ball pedal to vary the overall tone gives many different tone options. In the Mark IIB mannual they describe this, but say that one should use the preamp/amp junction input underneath the chassis."

I find it a little too sensitive with my Ernie Ball volume pedal, maybe there are others out there which work better. Its much easier to control the gain with the volume on your guitar ( old trick, haha :wink: ) I like it much more to control the overall master volume with a volume pedal in the loop. The Mk IIB have a tube buffered (cathode follower) loop, so you can use long cables to and from your pedals without loosin treble and sound. No other Mark II has that and you'll probably loose it when doing the loop mod.

also if you are interested: read down the page whatMike B. told "brion" about the loop mod: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=56644

So what is the difference soundwise with or without the loop mod, since you have two amps one without, one with the mod?

Back