just got my mxr 10 band eq

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewstcyr

Reaction score
just got my mxr-108 10 band eq after reading about it on this board and holy bajebus is this thing crazy. I never thought something could do so much in such a little box.

I haven't been happy with the sound of my amp (roadster head) for awhile and I've been changing preamp tubes and power tubes and fine tuning my settings and it didn't seem like nearly enough but the second I got this eq going I've been pumped about the way everything is sounding, not to mention I've only been playing with it for like a couple hours tonight for the first time.

I ordered an overdrive pedal kit from http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/ which is supposed to replicate a tube screamer so I'll be sure to let you guys know how that turns out once it arrives in the mail and I get it all put together.

Mad props to everyone on here who eats, sleeps, and breathes for Mesa tone. This forum has helped me out durastically since I discovered it. I feel like I went from amateur to pro tone master thanks to this forum!

Are you running through the loop or the front. I bought an MXR 10 band and a dano fish-n-chips for a 20 spot used. For the money the Dano rocks! I just set it on top of the particular amp I happen to be using and run it through the loop. Boost the mids. Not sure if it is pedalboard friendly yet (plastic) But that's why I bought the MXR

:)

boogieman75 said:
Are you running through the loop or the front. I bought an MXR 10 band and a dano fish-n-chips for a 20 spot used. For the money the Dano rocks! I just set it on top of the particular amp I happen to be using and run it through the loop. Boost the mids. Not sure if it is pedalboard friendly yet (plastic) But that's why I bought the MXR

:)

Through the loop. From what I've read it gives you so much more control over the sound of the amp and I completely agree because it shapes the same after the amps preamp when the eq is placed in the loop. With the EQ placed in front of the amp all it can do is shape the sound of your guitar which might be what some people are going for.

heh, I just bought one on ebay today too. Hopefully it will be here soon as I want to hear this amazing difference.

-Chris

The only thing I didn't like was the MXR tended to get noisy when the gain was pushed.

I feel lucky to have gotten the Sniper mod done on mine. Last I read the guy (Kevin somebody? at Tonejam) was going to quit doing his "Sniper" mods. Mine came back and the noise is gone and I love the thing like crazy now.

I also modded my GE7, and I like the MXR better, but they both have their place and I will keep both.

Glad you're liking your MXR EQ andrew.

And they'll only get noisy if you boost those freq's that are producing the noise. I've had zero noise issues with mine on any gain setting. :D

Don't forget, that increasing the volume and gain sliders will always add a bit of noise. Also you must consider that the noise will be inaudible in a live gig situation. By the time you have drums, bass, and a singer talking on the P.A. you will not be able to hear the noise.

I got a MRX 10 eq, with my F-50. I like it for both the channels,

I'm thinking about getting one of these EQs also for my stiletto duece so I can get that Megadeth type tone.

UPS Just dropped off my MXR EQ. All I can say is WOW. It makes my Ace 1x12 sound like a 4x12. Adds TONS of bottom end and doesn't sound muddy. I don't need it for the highs to much because I think the Ace already has too much highs. It definately adds a good chunk chunk.

i'm thinking of getting on also. my problem is that i run a G-Major in the loop and i turn it off on my rhythm (crunch) channel. if i turn it on, i may have to put the G-Major on bypass but it's just another device my signal will run through :(

-PJ

I always run one of these in the loops of my amps.
I think they bring the amps alive. I 'm running one right now in the loop of my mark III and combined with the onboard GEQ, it gives me a huge range of really good usable tones or justs let's me really fine tune the one tone I'm chasing at the moment.

Perhaps going against the grain here, but I'm using my MXR 10-band out front (3-ch Triple) and it F'n RULES. You can't radically re-voice the amp like this, but that's not what I'm trying to do with it anyway.

Using it as a boost, gain flat level+6, you can dramatically tighten the amps response without changing its tone, and a slight (-3 dB) cut in the 250 range makes the mud go away nicely, without killing all the lows like an overdrive pedal can.

I wish the MXR was true bypass though. I tried it in a GC and I lost treble response when it was bypassed. Shame because what it did to a Hot Rod deluxe with the mids and gain boosted was phenomenal. Anyone know of an EQ like it that's true bybass.

skoora said:
I wish the MXR was true bypass though. I tried it in a GC and I lost treble response when it was bypassed. Shame because what it did to a Hot Rod deluxe with the mids and gain boosted was phenomenal. Anyone know of an EQ like it that's true bybass.

These pedals have excellent buffers in them and I get zero tone suck thru my Mesa.

Man I've been playing with my pedal since I started this thread now and it is just crazy awesome. I got my roadster head dialed with this thing and it just sounds amazing. I can't stop playing when I have this thing hooked up to my amp and I love how easy it is to make a little tweak and dial in the sound for playing different bands when I'm just rockin out.

Newysurfer said:
skoora said:

These pedals have excellent buffers in them and I get zero tone suck thru my Mesa.

I'll have to try another one at a different store, see if I get a different result.

skoora said:
Newysurfer said:
skoora said:

I'll have to try another one at a different store, see if I get a different result.

To be fair Skoora it's gonna be pretty tough to make any conclusions in a noisy store using their gear. The only true test is in your own quiet studio/bedroom/band room using all your own gear. Then compare the pedal turned off tone against removing the pedal from the chain completely.

Also matters where you place the pedal - upfront or in the loop. Mine's in the loop and definitely has no tone suck issues.

Latest posts

Back