just got my mxr 10 band eq

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newysurfer said:
skoora said:
Newysurfer said:
These pedals have excellent buffers in them and I get zero tone suck thru my Mesa.

I'll have to try another one at a different store, see if I get a different result.

To be fair Skoora it's gonna be pretty tough to make any conclusions in a noisy store using their gear. The only true test is in your own quiet studio/bedroom/band room using all your own gear. Then compare the pedal turned off tone against removing the pedal from the chain completely.

Also matters where you place the pedal - upfront or in the loop. Mine's in the loop and definitely has no tone suck issues.

Actually, no. The store was quiet (early on a weekday) and I tried plugging straight into the amp and also only through the MXR, not the other pedals on the display. Even changed instrument cables to make sure. Thanks for all the assumptions though.

seymourstiletto,

RE: "the first slider 31.25 makes no difference in the lows on my deuce is this normal or did i get a bad eq?". It's normal. The reason you don't hear a difference is because your guitar's low E string doesn't produce sound below about 80Hz, so cutting 31.25Hz won't do anything you can hear. However, it can still be a good idea to cut frequencies below that 80Hz threshold to protect your speakers.

Any vibrations produced in that low of a range are inaudible and are also very damaging to speaker cones and even to other hardware.

used my MXR10 for the 1st time last night.

After advice on here I dropped the 1st slider a bit, boosted the next 2 upto about 6db and my stiletto sounded huge :p

I am able to use the Maxon to boost now as well, even though I think I like it better without (probably because I am running the gains pretty much maxed out).

Yesterday I had amp gas, today it's gone (for now.......)

Whether or not you decide to use a Maxon OD in front of the amp, do not run your gain on max. As with the Recto, it will muddy up your sound and absolutely kill your picking dynamics. If you're playing loud enough for the power tubes to kick in some distortion of their own, you definitely will not want/need the preamp gain dimed. Even if you're playing some kind of dynamics-less death metal, you'd still be better off backing off the gain and adding in the OD.

Latest posts

Back