Just Got A Mark III Need Some Help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kid Howren

Reaction score
I just got a Mark III, I think Black Dot Series, but I'm not sure. I know these things are supposed to be hard to the right sound out of, but I'm having a lot of trouble. I turned the gain switches all the way up, but it only gets more distorted as it gets louder. Is there any way to get distortion at a lower level without having to buy an attenuator? Does anyone know some good setting for this amp to get a good sound?

Start with the settings in the user manual with the master down in the 1 to 3 area. Warning... 3 is pretty darn loud.

My typical settings are:
Volume = 7, pulled
Treble = 7, pulled
Bass = 4, pulled
Middle = 4
Master = 1 - 3
Lead Drive = 7
Lead Master = 5

Graphic is the classic V, with EQ always on

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%20III.pdf

Chris... 8)

Please, download and read the manual. I think you're misinterpreting the knobs or something.
The first volume knob acts on the pre-amp. This will be considered your "gain".
The treble knob also actually adds gain as well.
The higher the treble knob, the less affect the mid and bass knob will have.
The "master" is overall volume. For poweramp overdrive, lower settings of the first volume knob, and higher settings of the master willpush the power section.(This works great with a strat.)
lead drive is just that, an additional gain control for the lead channel only. This interacts with the first volume knob, or adds to it.
The lead master is to balance it with the clean and crunch (R1 & R2) channels.
On the back, the presence affects the output only, and will add highs to your outgoing signal. The reverb on these is just enough to let it breath some, not a Fender type reverb at all.
With the mid and lead knob pushed in, you'll have your clean channel, pull the mid knob for R2 (crunch/Marshally). Push the mid and pull the lead drive, and now you have your lead channel. Now, with the lead drive pulled, pull the R2. This adds gain and beef to your tone.
Pulling the Master, for "deep" is great for single coils, or to thicken up a bright guitar.
Pulling the treble affects the lead channel only, and adds high mids.
Pull the bass, and it expands the bass. I only pull it with very low settings of bass, like 0, or 1. Makes it fat...Too much makes it fart...
The pull bright on the lead master is for low volume playing, at high volume it'll squeel like a *****....
This is a hurried explanation or the controls, but may help. It takes getting used to, it's no Fender or Marshall, and is not something you figure out easily. But, once you get the hang of it, you can get a boatload of tones, they're all there...
Give us a clue as to what guitar you have, and what music you play.
I need to know what tones you're after. I can give you some optimum settings for each channel, and then some settings to toggle between all 3 channels.
Good luck!
ax. 8)

Now, with the lead drive pulled, pull the R2. This adds gain and beef to your tone.

This trick is even better with the R2 mod. It lets control the amount of saturation of R2 with lead.

Thanks guys. I'm using an ESP EC-1000 with 2 EMG-81 humbuckers. I play metal and some classic rock. Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Pantera, etc... I've been getting some good stuff out of it so far, but I have a couple more questions. First of all, is Rhythm 2 not meant to be really distorted? I guess it's kind of crunchy, but I always figured Rhythm 2 was rhythm distortion and Lead was for solos and melodies. Secondly, how do I get a really good clean sound? I don't really have an preference for this, as long as it's ***-clean, and rings out real nicely. And finally, what are some good settings for solos and stuff? I have a general understanding of how to work it now, I just want to try some of your guys' favorite settings to see just how to work it. Thanks.

My favorite clean with my strat:
Volume-3.5 pulled
Treble-5 pulled
Bass-4
mid-4.5
Master-7 ( may want to pull, I don't usually)
Lead drive-6
lead master (balance with clean)
reverb-9
presence-5
No EQ

Now, you'll get a glassy warm Twin reverb tone, and can switch (lead) for an SRV type Fender Drive.
ax.

Metallica type tone.
vol-8
treb-8 pulled
bass-2 pulled
mid-4
master-2
lead drive-7.5
lead master (balance with clean)
presence-6
reverb-8
EQ "in"
80- top line
240- on middle line
750-on bottom line
2200-on middle line
6600-halfway between middle and top line
This works for alot of their stuff. With Metallica, I leave the knobs set as above, and tweak the EQ as necessary.Although on some earlier stuff (MOP etc.) I lower the presence to 2 or 3.
ax. 8)

Pagey:
vol-6.5
treb-6
bass-4
mid-5 pulled
master-as high as you can stand, pulled
no EQ
presence-4
reverb- 10
This should get you in a Zeppelin territory. He used delay alot.
ax. 8)

Darryl Abbott.
vol-10
treb-10 pulled
bass-0
mid-3
master-4
lead drive-9 pulled
lead master-2
presence-9
reverb-0
EQ in
80-under top line
240-on bottom line
750-all the way down
2200-between bottom and middle line
6600- between middle and top line.
A well set gate works good for his rhythm work.
ax. 8)

Latest posts

Back