Just Got a 1979 MK2? 1x15" Combo & Have Some ?'s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jads57

Reaction score
Hi , I just traded my Rectoverb 50 for a 1979 Mk 2 1x15 (EV15L) combo. It's in exc. shape, but
it didn't come w/ a footswitch,cable, or cover. Can anyone tell me where to get a replacement footswitch & cable, and cover for this amp? Also which model Mk2 is this, serial#
is #418. It also has toggle switch and an input jack underneath the chassis. Written in black marker it says TM009 by the switch. One really cool thing is on the underneath of the chassis the build date says 7/27/79. I just traded for it yesterday at a local music store, which just happens to be 7/27/2010 LOL! Thanks in advance! :D :D :D :D

The switch underneath the chassis is for FETron use only. The FETron is an obsolete piece of technology now, but it used to be a solid state substitute for the 12AX7, and similar noval dual triodes. Flipping the switch would drop the supply voltages in the preamp sockets to accommodate the FETrons.

As for the footswitch/type of Mark it is, judging by the SN#, it should be a Mark 1. But, by the MFG date on the bottom, it could be a Mark IIA. If the two jacks on the front say Inputs 1 and 2, then it's a Mark 1, and doesn't have a footswitch. Just use an A/B/Y box. If the inputs are marked Input and Footswitch, then it's a mark II, and any single button footswitch will work.

Yeah, if its a Mark I then you have to "juggle" the three volume controls to your liking. They're cascading gain. Try the two volumes at "7" then the master to 3 and higher. The higher, the better, but it gets loud!

I've seen guitarists not familiar with Mark I layout set it to some bizarre setting and not happy with it. Its gain is similar to a Fender with an overdrive pedal.

I really like the Mark Is, and IIs.

Thanks for the replies fellas. It looks to be a Mk2 for sure , probably a Mk2 A. They say according to the Boogie history website posted in the above reply, that the 2A models usually came w/ a JBL, then an Eminence, and finally last incarnation an EV-15. So that part doesn't match my amp, but all the other specs do. It still has original Sylvania/Boogie 6L6's STR 415's
Not sure how to tell how worn they are, any ideas? Great amp, but kind of heavy w/ the EV 15. I might try a Neo Jensen 15-150 watt speaker in it to lighten the load.
I've also read that these effects loops aren't that great and need a mod to them. Thanks for the info everyone. I now remember why I love Mesa/Boogie amps so much again,it's been awhile (10-12 years)since I've owned a Mk 2 and 3 version amplifiers. :D :D :D :D

Beautiful looking cabs! Unfortunately $ is a little tight right now, but later down the line if you're still making them I'll definitely contact you. Thanks!

I'll try to post some pics as soon as I can. Might take a couple of days. It sure sounds great, except reverb is a little strong on the lead channel, and I probably need to have the effects loop modded at some point. I've never had a 1x15 combo before, really liking it a lot!

I think you have a Mark II-A since the Mark IIB was on the market in '81.

Yes, the effect loop and reverb should be upgraded. This was (is) standard practice by then (or still is) head chief technician of M/B Mike Benedelli. Not sure what he charges now. But this forum was discuss this mod many times.

Yeah, Mark II is one my favorite MESA.

Thanks for the info could you post a link to the effects loop and reverb update thread(s)?
I'll definitely fix those as soon as $ allows, Thanks everyone!

gosh, I did a search and there's two many threads with "Mike B" string query. I can't narrow down the search to "Mike B" and "Mark II". I think there's a way to use Google using the URL to do this type of search. Forums like these always do query "Mike B" or "Mark II" so you get every thread with 'Mike B' and "Mark II". Now if you were able to do a query "Mike B. and Mark II', you would get threads that includes both strings but not either strings.

If I was writing the PHP code for this forum I could do it.

But anyway, if you do get have money freed up, call MESA and asks for this modification. You see when the built they Mark II up to the Mark IIB (there's not really a Mark IIA they just call it Mark II) one of the drawbacks is the sound reverb and effect loop. Seems like the effect loop was just a conjunction interrupt loop. So you play "into" your effects. With the new modification, the reverb was more Fenderish not tubby and the effect loop was blending in your effect signals.

I don't use the effect loop, but it included a pot I guess like a limiter that help with the effect.

jads57 said:
Thanks so much GTS ! :D :D :D
Yeah, thanks gts for the link.

Gosh, must have feel asleep in my PHP course during that lecture. I know your sting query works.

jads57, I lied, none of my post is true. :lol:

Latest posts

Back