Just curious...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viendette

Reaction score
Would I be able to send in a Mark IIB Coliseum to Mike B and get it Upgraded to a Mark IIC+ Coliseum's specs? I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but I'm curious if it's possible and will it sound the exact same to an original C+ Coliseum (Tone, character,feel etc) anyone have any experience or input it would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Hey,

I don't think Mesa has any more IIC+ preamp boards left to convert a IIB to a C+. Call Mike B. about this, but you might b best off spending a few hundred or so on the FX loop mod which will make it closer to a C+. Or just wait for what you really want to come up for sale and ante up for it. That being said, Mike B will basically tell you, a IIC+ is a IIC+ wether it's upgraded or original. The biggest difference is the dollar value.

scott

Oh you have one of those amps. What do you do with it? Mine, I knock birds out of the sky! Neighbor tends to phone 911 there after thinking "was that the air raid alarm". :lol:

from what I read, Mark IIB and Mark IIC are a complete different design. You can't just modify the existing Mark IIB board to get to be a Mark IIC+.

RR said:
Oh you have one of those amps. What do you do with it? Mine, I knock birds out of the sky! Neighbor tends to phone 911 there after thinking "was that the air raid alarm". :lol:

:lol: :lol: I've always wanted to hear a Coliseum!

I was under the impression that a IIB can't be converted to a IIC. Can they? What are the benefits? what would the cost of the mod be?

mrd said:
RR said:

:lol: :lol: I've always wanted to hear a Coliseum!
I used to have a 80's Randall Stack (Celestion G12-65s!) powered by a Mark IIB Coliseum 300 Series. Anyway, a buddy of mine who at the time have yet to visit where I live was on the golf course near my neighborhood. Anyway, he hears this guitar playing (me). The golf course is half mile away! :shock:

dcgdc5 said:
I was under the impression that a IIB can't be converted to a IIC. Can they? What are the benefits? what would the cost of the mod be?
Well, from what I read, their circuit boards are a completely different design. So I got the impression you can't modify an exiting Mark IIB board to be a Mark IIC.

What are the benefits? well supposedly the Mark IIC+ is one of the most sought after MESA tone. Personally I rather keep my Mark IIB (sounds like a hot-rodded Silver Face Fender) and get something like Dumble clone Two Rock, Fuch, Brown Note etc ... if I'm looking for that "sustaining" tone.

RR said:
dcgdc5 said:
Well, from what I read, their circuit boards are a completely different design. So I got the impression you can't modify an exiting Mark IIB board to be a Mark IIC.

What are the benefits? well supposedly the Mark IIC+ is one of the most sought after MESA tone. Personally I rather keep my Mark IIB (sounds like a hot-rodded Silver Face Fender) and get something like Dumble clone Two Rock, Fuch, Brown Note etc ... if I'm looking for that "sustaining" tone.

A cheaper solution would be to snag a Studio Pre, split your guitar to feed the Studio and the IIB and then use a switcher to feed the preamp outputs of both back into the power amp section of your IIB. Now you have a third channel that's pretty close to the IIC for far less cash and you get to keep everything you love about the IIB. I used to do this with a III and was very happy with the tone.

Latest posts

Back