Just changed my output tubes in LSC to EL84 and EL34

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

420danno

Reaction score
I just changed my output tubes to (outer) THD Yellow Jacket with EL84's and (inner) EL34's, Love it! Bottom end seems to have a lot more bite and when playing in the basement can run just the 84's in class A at about 20 watts, gets a great power amp grind without blowing the roof off the house. Any body else used the THD's?

420danno said:
I just changed my output tubes to (outer) THD Yellow Jacket with EL84's and (inner) EL34's, Love it! Bottom end seems to have a lot more bite and when playing in the basement can run just the 84's in class A at about 20 watts, gets a great power amp grind without blowing the roof off the house. Any body else used the THD's?

Sounds interesting. I know there are other people around here that have used the yellow jackets. There are a few old threads. You must be running in 50 watt mode then and using only those outer tubes. My assumption would be that you use all 4 in 100 watt mode when you play out. Any idea what your wattage is then? I've actually thought about trying to do this. It might help me better match the stage volume for my other guitar player who is using low wattage amps.

Spot on obout the tube arangement. It reminds me of my simlclass Mark, but a little softer, old school, less agressive especially with the tweed mode. probably about 70 watts total. There is a drastic increase in volume and apparent bottom end with the extra EL 34's kicked in. I will give it the first gig try this weekend and let you know, but I have high hopes. I loved the amp with 6L6's all the way around, but this has more of a Hendrix-Vaughn feel to the bottom end, especially when using the neck pickup. I play a '92 PRS CE24 and can comp a nice strat quack and LP growl out of it. (although the guitar's tone lies somewhere between the uber bright start and dark LP). I was leaning quite a bit on my fultone fulldrive to push CH1 because 2 was a little dark, but now 2 seems to really have tightened up. I play a lot of Dead-Allman stuff and this combo fits nice. We'll se how the new tubes work.

420danno said:
Spot on obout the tube arangement. It reminds me of my simlclass Mark, but a little softer, old school, less agressive especially with the tweed mode. probably about 70 watts total. There is a drastic increase in volume and apparent bottom end with the extra EL 34's kicked in. I will give it the first gig try this weekend and let you know, but I have high hopes. I loved the amp with 6L6's all the way around, but this has more of a Hendrix-Vaughn feel to the bottom end, especially when using the neck pickup. I play a '92 PRS CE24 and can comp a nice strat quack and LP growl out of it. (although the guitar's tone lies somewhere between the uber bright start and dark LP). I was leaning quite a bit on my fultone fulldrive to push CH1 because 2 was a little dark, but now 2 seems to really have tightened up. I play a lot of Dead-Allman stuff and this combo fits nice. We'll se how the new tubes work.

Sounds like a great quick mod. I play a lot of the same music and have been messing with a lot of things, particularly the darker Ch1. Right now I have the treble cranked to about 3:30 or so to get more top end zing--sort of like an overdriven Fender. That helps a lot. What are your settings right now with the new tubes?

CH1 & CH2 about the same except Gain.

CH1 G:12-1 T: 2:30 M: 10 B: 1 P: 12-2 (per room) Master: 11
CH2 G:2-5 depending on how much grind needed Master: 11-12 (depending on Gain) if I use drive, set to norm at about 10

Loop in at 1:00

Tweed mode unless the band gets really loud. speakers in 4ohm jack with 8 ohm load

Sometimes I use a boogie thiele closed back with 200 watt EVM, gets a nice Jerry clean/edge psuedo JBL tone.

Latest posts

Back