Just bought a Mark IV, a few questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockRobster

Reaction score
Saw a used Mark IV at GC a few days ago and just had to have it. I was in the market for my first tube amp and never really thought I'd be able to afford a Mark IV, but they had it going for $1,300 and it seemed like a great deal and was in fine condition.

Here it is in all it's glory!
img0051qz3.jpg

Anyway, they didn't know what year it was made. But I figure there's a way to tell from the serial number. Could someone tell me how to figure that out?

Also, I've never used an effects loop before and I didn't really find the manual very helpful. I was wondering exactly how to work that as far as connections go.

I love this thing so far even though I barely have it figured out. Someone referred to me this site which I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time on. Thanks!

[/img]

It's most likely a B revision model, Mesa can tell you how old it is by the serial number if you call them Mon-Thurs

As far as the FX loop, you basically want to put all your time based effects (delay, reverb, chorus, vibrato, tremolo, phaser, flanger, etc) in your FX loop and leave all your distortion, fuzz, overdrive, wah in front of the amp. This is not a steadfast rule but a good rule of thumb if you will.

The connections are like this.. the send is akin to an 'instrument in' and the return is akin to 'out to amplifier.' So, you would connect an instrument cable from the input of your pedal chain into the instrument in of the pedal and then into the send jack..and then on the other side of the chain where your cable would go out to the amplifier you would connect to your return jack. Then, activate the loop with the foot switch when you want the FX loop on and then stomp it out when you don't want it.

You will need to work out the volumes on your various pedals so they are consistent with your normal amp volume when the FX loop is switched out so there's not a large volume difference. You'll figure it out :)

I would definitely suggest reading the manual a few times through until things start to make sense. The Mark IV manual is actually very very well written and really does a great job of explaining the technical aspects of your amp. Considering the amp you bought is one of the most complex tube amps out there and this is your first tube amp I highly recommend this course of action.

Feel free to ask us any questions but I do strongly suggest becoming familiar with the options and how they work.

Here are some tips to get you started.

Tweed mode will allow you to get more 'cranked' tone at lower volumes for house playing.. pairing this with the Triode mode and the Class A mode will yield the most cranked tone the amp can offer you at lower volumes.

The Bass control.. I would suggest never setting it above 3... you'll see why if you do, gets loose and flubby/woofy

Get a great tone for each channel without using the Graphical EQ to start with. After you have the tone you want, then begin to set the GEQ to taste.

Channel 1 and 2 share some global controls so you'll want to keep this in mind when setting these channels up the first time.

Good luck and welcome! You have a fantastic amplifier 8)

I would suggest removing ALL the outboard effects while you are learning how to dial in the amp. Once you get it dialed in, take that Metal Zone outside and set it on fire. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm now feeling sort of like the old man in "The Karate Kid". :wink:

I have a 'B" version widebody combo I just got as well and I love it. It sounds fantastic! Congrats on your score RockRobster!

Platypus, I have an 'A" version also and it has two loops. One normal-always on, the other is the footswitchable loop that can be assigned to channels. Does the "B" version have two loops as well with one always on and the other assignable and footswitchable?
Thanks!

JOEY B. said:
I would suggest removing ALL the outboard effects while you are learning how to dial in the amp. Once you get it dialed in, take that Metal Zone outside and set it on fire. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm now feeling sort of like the old man in "The Karate Kid". :wink:

Lighter fluid works really well for that! 8)

boogietone said:
I have a 'B" version widebody combo I just got as well and I love it. It sounds fantastic! Congrats on your score RockRobster!

Platypus, I have an 'A" version also and it has two loops. One normal-always on, the other is the footswitchable loop that can be assigned to channels. Does the "B" version have two loops as well with one always on and the other assignable and footswitchable?
Thanks!

Nope, the B has a stereo loop for use with a simul-satellite or slaved amp instead of the normal and footswitchable loops on the A.

devilrob1979 said:
boogietone said:

Thanks!

Nope, the B has a stereo loop for use with a simul-satellite or slaved amp instead of the normal and footswitchable loops on the A.

Dang. I liked the two loops. Still a great amp. Thanks DevilRob!

JOEY B. said:

I couldn't agree more. A distortion pedal in front of a Mesa will corrupt and soil the amp. Do it and yourself justice and use it as a door stop.

scrap all those pedals along with the combo on the Bay. Keep the chasis of course. After that you might have enough money to buy an extension cab. Then that thing will really crank!

[/img]

Thanks Platypus and everyone. Yeah I mostly wanted to get the FX loop working for my delay and chorus pedals. I never really used that Metal Zone much in the first place and I doubt that'll change with this amp. Found a nice Black Album-ish tone on the amp. The Marshall Guvnor sounds great though.

A mild overdrive is used by many MkIV owners to give R2 a slight "push". The whole reason that I recommended cleaning out your signal chain is so that you could learn what all the push/pull and switching features do to the pure sound, without any extra influences. Then go back and add the effects into the loop/front end, and listen carefully for loss of tone, with the effects switched off. Especially the high frequencies. Your amp is capable of outstanding tones when you learn how to coax them out. 8) Enjoy!

Hey Robster,
Was that the MK IV at the Manchester, CT Guitar Center by any chance?
Steve---

I dont use anything with my mesa, besides my guitar and a compressor of course...

When you have that thing dialed in correctly, live, it will sound better than a metal zone, thicker, richer, and it will still have close to that square wave distortion you love so much... Play it at loud volumes and be prepared to soil yourself.

Recording on the other hand.... well thats a beast all of its own, If you cannot seem to get good recording tones out of it, do not fret, take heart in that a real recording engineer ( not like myself) would be able to get EXCELLENT sounds out of it, simply by EQing and such correctly.

I use the Rhythm Channel when I need more definition on stops and staccato and such, but Lead is incredible for solos and heavy hitting rhythms too.

enjoy it buddy!

why am I the only one who can't get a good lead sound out of this amp? I've tried most of the grailtone settings and none are good for me.

XxXxXxXxX said:
Hey Robster,
Was that the MK IV at the Manchester, CT Guitar Center by any chance?
Steve---

Wow. You must be psychic. Or don't tell me you're the one who traded it in??

Sealunar said:
why am I the only one who can't get a good lead sound out of this amp? I've tried most of the grailtone settings and none are good for me.

Try mine:

Lead
Gain: 8 (pulled)
Treble: 8.5
Bass: 2.5
Mid: 4.5
Drive: 8
Pres: 7 (pulled)
Vol: 3

Master: 2

Harmonics / Tweed / Simul / Triode

markiveq.jpg

Throw 6db of clean boost on R2. Thank me later. By the way, dolphinmusic's selling a Hamer Triple Threat for $4500. Who said Hamers don't hold their value. I paid $2500 for mine. It would seem the rest of the world is seeing the light.

Back