Just bought a dual rectifier - some questions!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goku28

Reaction score
Hi all, so after years of owning terrible amps, I finally bought myself a dual rectifier. Absolutely love it already but I suspect it hasn't been serviced or re-tubed in quite some time - it's been sat in a home studio not being used much.

As I'll probably have to re-tube it anyway, I just wondered if people had any views on which tubes bring out the best in these amps? It's currently got the stock 5U4GB's and 12AX7's in it, which still sound awesome. I know it's subjective but I'm after that tight modern metal tone with a punchy bottom end. I play in a 3 piece as well, so I need to fill out the sound with this bad boy!

Also, I've seen it's notoriously difficult to date these from the serial numbers alone, but for what it's worth, mine is R-036061 - if anyone can help me out, let me know! I think it's probably a mid-2000's model but not 100% sure.

Thanks in advance!

On the preamp tube front. this is the tightest meanest combo I have rolled:

V1 - Tung Sol 12AX7 (or an EH)
V2 - Shuguang 12AX7B
V3 - Shuguang 12AX7B
V4 - Shuguang 12AX7B
V5 - JJ gold pin ECC83s

Also run the amp in silicone diode mode for more tightness, when I had my 3 channel dual recto I didn't need to boost it

I also run EMG 81's in my guitars, so YMMV.

JCDenton6 said:

V2 - Shuguang 12AX7B
V3 - Shuguang 12AX7B
V4 - Shuguang 12AX7B
V5 - JJ gold pin ECC83s

Also run the amp in silicone diode mode for more tightness, when I had my 3 channel dual recto I didn't need to boost it

That's an interesting combination. i always thought the Chinese stuff wasn't all that good? What if I wanted a tube config that wasn't so aggressive? Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Cheers for the info! I've not played the amp at volume yet but I tried the silicone diode setting and didn't like it as much as the tube setting I must admit. I might feel differently once I've got it in the rehearsal room though. Will check out the tubes though - thanks dude!

paulg2uk said:
JCDenton6 said:

V2 - Shuguang 12AX7B
V3 - Shuguang 12AX7B
V4 - Shuguang 12AX7B
V5 - JJ gold pin ECC83s

That's an interesting combination. i always thought the Chinese stuff wasn't all that good? What if I wanted a tube config that wasn't so aggressive? Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

I asked Doug for a rectifier set for Classic Rock and Blues:
V1 - Tung Sol
V2 - Penta Labs 12AX7
V3 - Ruby 7025SS
V4 - Penta Labs 12AX7
V5 - Sovtek LPS

Since I have a roadster, I was told to add another Ruby in V5 and then move the Sovtek LPS to V6. It sounds very good.

knotts said:
paulg2uk said:
JCDenton6 said:

V2 - Shuguang 12AX7B
V3 - Shuguang 12AX7B
V4 - Shuguang 12AX7B
V5 - JJ gold pin ECC83s

Thanks

Paul

I asked Doug for a rectifier set for Classic Rock and Blues:
V1 - Tung Sol
V2 - Penta Labs 12AX7
V3 - Ruby 7025SS
V4 - Penta Labs 12AX7
V5 - Sovtek LPS

Since I have a roadster, I was told to add another Ruby in V5 and then move the Sovtek LPS to V6. It sounds very good.

I did email Doug I've not had a response yet. I was thinking Tung Sol in V1 and the rest possibly JJ'S I'm not sure yet and JJ Power and rectifier tubes. I was recommended to put Tun Sol's in all positions but I'm trying to get rid of some fizziness in the high gain channels of my Dual rec so I figure the JJ's were the way to go. I'm the same though I like that classic Rock sound. Euro Tubes recommended me quite a large selection the easiest was all JJ tubes.

I'm slowly getting confused and need to pick some before I change my mind again lol

paulg2uk said:
I did email Doug I've not had a response yet. I was thinking Tung Sol in V1 and the rest possibly JJ'S I'm not sure yet and JJ Power and rectifier tubes. I was recommended to put Tun Sol's in all positions but I'm trying to get rid of some fizziness in the high gain channels of my Dual rec so I figure the JJ's were the way to go. I'm the same though I like that classic Rock sound. Euro Tubes recommended me quite a large selection the easiest was all JJ tubes.

I'm slowly getting confused and need to pick some before I change my mind again lol

I like my setup a lot. Kept the Mesa 6L6's in there, but redid the preamp section. I also tried EL34's in there but lost the recto magic on CH3 and CH4. I went right back to the 6L6's. My rig is quiet, with pedals plugged into the front of the amp.

Might not need re-tubed at all.
If you just want to be sure for yourself then I'd suggest a full new set of the current mesa tubes for preamp(spax7 for V1), power(str-440), and rectifiers (5U4gb).
Then pick up a couple others (tung-sol, EH,) for V1 swapping.
After you settle on a favorite V1 tube you could try rolling the V2 slot and so on. V1 is the main thing when it comes to higher gain levels especially.

Cheers for the info! I've ordered a set of Mesa 6L6's (can't afford all the valves at once!), so figure I'll swap them out so I know they're good, but keep the current ones as spares. I'd like to end up with spares for everything really (inc. fuses), just in case. Good idea about V1 though!

Yeah I agree with TRENCHLORD, I also just put new mesa 6L6 power tubes in my 3 ch dual rec (the preamp section has new russian mesa tubes) and will be fiddling around now with the preamp section with various combos I have seen here.

Regarding the serial number, email mesa boogie, I did and got a response the next day from Garey who was very helpful with any questions asked.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back