JP's demo MkV 25 settings in amplitudes for real?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherbst

Reaction score
Hi, saw in the amplitudes mail Boogie just sent the included Petrucci's settings from that amazing demo:

http://mesaboogie.com/amplitudes/2015/March/john-petrucci-mesa-mark-five-25-tone-lounge-proto-playthrough.html?utm_source=Mesa%2FBoogie+Amplitudes+Newsletter+List&utm_campaign=64fcef6cb3-Amplitudes+Blog+April+2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_bf726eb5e2-64fcef6cb3-27586241&ct=t()

I was trying them out, but find them to be SOOO gainy and compressed, curious if anyone else found the same?

I generally find the MkV25 to be even more gainy than the full size head, I generally run the gain lower at about 11:00 and the presence a little higher at about 2:00

Yes and you've seen that he is running them at 25w and volume at noon, which is pretty **** loud so it may not be at gain or compressed at that level.

Also he's fiddled with the settings a bit from the mini recto to the 4x12.

And in reality - there's more to JP's tone than just the settings on the amp...

Settings are personalized to the players sense of touch and dynamics. We've had many instances where 2 (or more) players will play the same rig, same settings, same guitar, etc....and get completely different tones. Thanks!

I tried them on my full size. They're pretty cool and I like the way they feel but they're all a little too bright for my tastes. I had to pull back the treble to get them to settle in. That said, I'm keeping the crunch GEQ setting as it was better than what I dialled in myself.

To the OP... I find the gain appropriate for lead guitar.

APEMAN said:
... I don't doubt he didn't play it ... and for shure those settings are real ... and of course it is a great amp ...

The 3rd picture "The Maestro… in the zone with the Mark Five: 25" without being plugged in at all... LOL ;)

I'm pretty sure he was plugged into the Mark5:25 that was on the table/workbench...

APEMAN said:
... I don't doubt he didn't play it ... and for shure those settings are real ... and of course it is a great amp ...

The 3rd picture "The Maestro… in the zone with the Mark Five: 25" without being plugged in at all... LOL ;)

If you watch the video you'll see he was playing through one on the bench...

When I punched up the volume I thought the settings were pretty spot on. It was kinda funny because my personal settings, having not seen what he was using, were pretty close as is. I suspect my guitars sound darker than his and I suck at playing, both influencing the differences.

Latest posts

Back