JP-2C vs Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwiltz2072

Reaction score
Unfortunately I won't have a chance to try out the new JP2C before I order one. I currently own a Mark IV and I love it. Just looking for some opinions on whether it would be safe ordering one to replace my Mark IV. Like I said, I love the Mark IV. Just wondering if this would be an upgrade to my current setup tone wise.

Just looking for opinions here. Especially from people who have had experience with both amps.
Thanks in advance!

If you love awesome tone, then the JP2C is a safe bet.

But seriously, tone is really subjective. For sure the JP2C will NOT sound like your Mark IV. You may like those differences or not.

If you love your Mark IV, why are you replacing it?

The thought of a more usable crunch channel is definately one thing. And I guess its the thought that it could be an upgraded version of what I already have. And as much as i like my Mark IV, i like the features that have been added to the JP2C.

Just cant try one out.

I have both of these amps. If your looking for a "crunch" channel in the truest sense of the word then this isn't what you're looking for. The Mark IV isn't well known for channel 2, and you won't really find that on this amp either. The second channel on the Jp is really high gain. Even with the gain almost all the way down it doesn't really get that crunchy sound like the mark v would in channel 2. Then you turn up the gain a little and its full on high gain again. It's almost all or nothing. BUT, and this is a big but...the Jp really kills at those tones. It's fuller than my Mark IV. And a lot more gain on both lead channels. Couple that with the double eqs and its an all around better amp. And the cleans are definitely better on the Jp. That said, I'm not getting rid of my IV. It's definitely different and not similar enough to justify selling it if you don't have to.

If you're a fan of the mark series tones, then you will fall in love with the JP2C. Guaranteed! And I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with gibbycustom. The JP crunches just fine. Actually, I think it crunches better than anything my mark V can do. A few tips maybe, or suggestions for you and gibbycustom to try out. Because I too had the same opinion as gibby the first week or so I owned the JP. I thought the lead channels just had too much gain and that the amp wouldn't do bluesy, crunchy tones. I'd roll the gain back but the amp would always be too saturated. All or nothing, like gibby said. It was amazing and kinda frustrating at the same time. But after some experimenting I found some great crunch tones. I have discovered every knob on the tone stack will add gain. We all know the treble adds some gain in Mark amps, but it adds ALOT in the JP. The mid control adds gain too, albeit at higher settings (past 1 o'clock). Even the bass control adds gain, but you probably don't have to worry about that one. You can remedy the "all or nothing" gain thing by lowering all your tone stack controls. Start with them about 8 or 9 o'clock and work with them from there. Get your brightness from the presence control. Then you can roll in the amout of gain you want and it won't get so saturated so quickly or easily. Also, volume is a big factor here too. The louder the better for crunch. Not power tube overdrive, but you have to open the amp up. This amp, when loud, becomes soooo clear and crisp. I find that when I turn up the volume usually I have to turn up the gain a little bit too. It's a funny thing. But experiment with this gibbycustom, let me know if it doesn't change your mind about how versatile the JP2C can be.
One more thing; avoid an extreme V curve on the GEQ when dialing in a crunch tone. I don't use the GEQ for lower gain sounds. This amp sounds wonderful without the GEQ engaged. Which can't be said about the mark V.

So is it safe to assume that this amp is as tight as the Mark IV? I mostly play hard rock and metal and I like that the Mark IV can get metal tones without the use of a boost. I really like that i can possibly get my hard rock/metal rhythm tones on channel 2 and my lead tones on channel 3 on the JP2C. Right now if I want to use channel 2 on my Mark IV I boost it with a Maxon 808.

Thanks for the replies. So far this is looking like a pretty solid replacement for my Mark IV. Wife wouldnt understand me keeping them both! :lol:

That would be a safe assumption. The A/B power section is super tight and punchy on the low end. I currently have a guitar tuned to drop B and this amp handles it with no problems. I haven't even hooked up my ts808 yet. It needs no boost. And, imo, the shred feature acts like a kinda boost anyway. It sharpens up the sound and gives you even more gain. As if this amp didn't have enough gain :lol: All the aggression and tightness you love about the iv are here. But this amps tone opens up for this rich, organic drive that pushes the personality of the mark series into tone heaven. I think you're going to love it. :mrgreen:

I'm going to try out those suggestions Sam. Sounds like a logical fix to the all or nothing gain. I would agree with Sam about the tightness of the amp. I will say that as far as aggression, it's more aggressive than the IV. I've never played a III, but I've heard they're the most aggressive marks out there. Definitely read that this things rivals or surpasses those Mark IIIs in aggression and gain. Have at it man, if I had to sell my IV for the Jp it would be no contest. The JP is the better amp in my opinion.

Well, Mesa can thank you guys for selling another amp for them. Will be placing my order soon. Thanks for all of the replies and insight. Cant wait to get it!

I prefer the IV. I would not recommend selling your IV till you try them side by side. Both are great amps and my view is only about personal taste.
I feel the IV is more raw sounding. I prefer the medium gain sounds from the lead channel of the IV. Highgain sounds I prefer the voice of the IV. I would not mind having both.... But if only one it would be the IV.

Most of my playing is more on the higher gain side of things. I would welcome a fuller/smoother tone. But I will definately try them side by side.

Authorized Boogie said:
Again - the JP-2C crunches incredibly well...as shown in this demo video: https://youtu.be/gYRVjivdGSo

I don't I'll ever get tired of that demo. I'm using my JP-2C with our band. Sounds great for a wide variety of tones. Here's the playlist we're using and it sounds great on all of them:

Jet - Are you gonna be my girl?
AC/DC - TNT
White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
Nirvana - Teen Spirit
Nirvana - In bloom
BOC - Godzilla 
Hole - Skinny Little *****
Tom Petty - Mary Jane's Last Dance
Splashh - All I wanna do
Radiohead - Creep
AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Led Zep - Immigrant song
STP - Plush 
Runaways - Cherry Bomb
Foo Fighters - Everlong
AIC - Man in the box
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World
Nirvana - Heart Shaped box
Nirvana - All apologies
Nirvana - Come as you are
Nirvana - Lithium

The amp sounds great for heavy stuff but is really a great all around workhorse. The guitar volume knob helps take the edge off of the higher gain tones for a great crunch IMO.

Latest posts

Back