JP-2C loop issue?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Authorized Boogie said:
We moved the location of the Ch1 Master pot, from before the Send to after the Return. This change only affects Ch1, and does not affect the tone at all. The Gain control now becomes the Send level, instead of the Master. Thanks!

I got a call from Chris telling me I could send it back to get the mod done. I said 'no' :)

Apparently you can do it at any time during the five year warranty period.

Maybe later. I'm happy with what I have.

dlpasco said:
Authorized Boogie said:
We moved the location of the Ch1 Master pot, from before the Send to after the Return. This change only affects Ch1, and does not affect the tone at all. The Gain control now becomes the Send level, instead of the Master. Thanks!

I got a call from Chris telling me I could send it back to get the mod done. I said 'no' :)

Hi,
As we have similar amps in the stable, I'm curious if you still feeling like selling your MkIII, Dual Rec, etc., is going to work for you and that this is the Best Amp Mesa has released for Lead/Rhythm work, to date?

Steve

kramerxxx said:
dlpasco said:
Authorized Boogie said:

Hi,
As we have similar amps in the stable, I'm curious if you still feeling like selling your MkIII, Dual Rec, etc., is going to work for you and that this is the Best Amp Mesa has released for Lead/Rhythm work, to date?

Steve

Hi Steve,

I think I am going to keep the Dual Rec, but it's unplugged and sitting in a corner of the room. Everything else besides the JP2C has been sold or is up on Craig's List.

Yes, it's the Best Amp Mesa has released for Lead/Rhythm work. Honestly, I was thinking on the way to work "Now I can, on some level, understand how someone could leave a person after 20 years of marriage for someone that was amazing in bed."

Not the greatest thought in the world, but it's that kind of thing. Now that I have a JP2C I don't think I could ever willingly go back to my old gear. I had no idea what I was missing all of these years, even though I thought I was happy.

Authorized Boogie said:
Dear MESA/Boogie JP-2C Owners,

Feedback from all sources in the musical world is important to us, but none more so than from our own customers. We’ve been watching the feedback regarding the JP-2C from several of the popular forums, and while we are deeply flattered by most of it, it’s come to our attention there is a potential for mismatched Effects Loop levels between the Channels for some players under certain settings conditions, particularly those that use the amp at lower volumes. Consequently we have a voluntary update that addresses this possible discrepancy and creates more balanced Loop levels throughout the Channels when the amp is used for its intended purpose (a Clean sound in Channel 1 and two high gain overdrive sounds in Channels 2 and 3) at these lower playing volumes.

The feedback suggests that for many, the Effects Loop is operating satisfactorily and within the performance parameters needed. Those players may not want to part with their amplifiers for a week or two to receive an update even with the shipping cost covered and the update free of charge. For those of you experiencing difficulties matching levels, we can send a UPS Call Tag, have the amplifier picked up and update it and return it to you within a week (shop time) free of charge. Regardless of which of these categories you might fall into, should you be unable to be without your amp or simply choose to wait until time permits that, rest assured we will be happy to do the same for you or subsequent owners at no charge any time during the 5-Year Transferrable Warranty.

The update addresses the concerns most commonly associated with the feedback we have noted on the forums. These concerns arose in applications where the playing volumes were low and/or a high setting of the MASTER in Channel 1 (as compared to Channels 2 and 3) produced excessive volume in the first repeats using a Delay. The update addresses these concerns and provides a well-matched Effects blend–again–when the amplifier is used for the intended use stated above and the Channels are relatively close volume-wise.

However, since performance of the Effects Loop is greatly affected by the settings of both the preamp (GAIN and Tone Controls) and power amp (MASTER and PRESENCE) in each of the Channels, it is still possible to experience SEND and/or RETURN level differences under certain conditions. Namely those which deviate from the Clean/Gain/Gain Channel dedication noted above and/or extreme GAIN and MASTER differences Channel to Channel. In an amplifier with this much GAIN and output power, as with any hot-rod, an application must be determined and a relative tuning for that application applied to achieve stability for the widest number of “drivers”.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate greatly your willingness to help us address this concern early on and assure the greatest level of satisfaction from your new amplifier.

Sincerely,

MESA/Boogie, Ltd.
Is this something that will become standard on all JP-2C's moving forward, or will this mod need to be asked for?

I'm hoping to pick up a JP-2C later this year.

Dom

domct203 said:
Authorized Boogie said:
Dear MESA/Boogie JP-2C Owners,

Feedback from all sources in the musical world is important to us, but none more so than from our own customers. We’ve been watching the feedback regarding the JP-2C from several of the popular forums, and while we are deeply flattered by most of it, it’s come to our attention there is a potential for mismatched Effects Loop levels between the Channels for some players under certain settings conditions, particularly those that use the amp at lower volumes. Consequently we have a voluntary update that addresses this possible discrepancy and creates more balanced Loop levels throughout the Channels when the amp is used for its intended purpose (a Clean sound in Channel 1 and two high gain overdrive sounds in Channels 2 and 3) at these lower playing volumes.

The feedback suggests that for many, the Effects Loop is operating satisfactorily and within the performance parameters needed. Those players may not want to part with their amplifiers for a week or two to receive an update even with the shipping cost covered and the update free of charge. For those of you experiencing difficulties matching levels, we can send a UPS Call Tag, have the amplifier picked up and update it and return it to you within a week (shop time) free of charge. Regardless of which of these categories you might fall into, should you be unable to be without your amp or simply choose to wait until time permits that, rest assured we will be happy to do the same for you or subsequent owners at no charge any time during the 5-Year Transferrable Warranty.

The update addresses the concerns most commonly associated with the feedback we have noted on the forums. These concerns arose in applications where the playing volumes were low and/or a high setting of the MASTER in Channel 1 (as compared to Channels 2 and 3) produced excessive volume in the first repeats using a Delay. The update addresses these concerns and provides a well-matched Effects blend–again–when the amplifier is used for the intended use stated above and the Channels are relatively close volume-wise.

However, since performance of the Effects Loop is greatly affected by the settings of both the preamp (GAIN and Tone Controls) and power amp (MASTER and PRESENCE) in each of the Channels, it is still possible to experience SEND and/or RETURN level differences under certain conditions. Namely those which deviate from the Clean/Gain/Gain Channel dedication noted above and/or extreme GAIN and MASTER differences Channel to Channel. In an amplifier with this much GAIN and output power, as with any hot-rod, an application must be determined and a relative tuning for that application applied to achieve stability for the widest number of “drivers”.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate greatly your willingness to help us address this concern early on and assure the greatest level of satisfaction from your new amplifier.

Sincerely,

MESA/Boogie, Ltd.
Is this something that will become standard on all JP-2C's moving forward, or will this mod need to be asked for?

I'm hoping to pick up a JP-2C later this year.

Dom

Standard on all amps....thanks!

Has anyone experienced any hum with the effects loop...specifically in channel one? I have my noise suppressor on, but it doesn't take it entirely away. It's less predominant in the other channels but still there. I had some spare preamp tubes so I did a swap to no avail. My Mark IV was dead silent on all channels with or without the loop on when the suppressor was in use. It's not one of the pedals either, I tested them all. Any ideas?? I also wanna make it clear that the hum is not super loud and does for the most part go away with the loop off. It's also not any fluorescent lights or any feedback as I ruled all of this out also.

Silverwulf said:
UPDATE: As was pointed out by some folks, the manual clearly states that the dirt channels (2 and 3) are like the original IIC+ in that the gain (Lead Drive) knob sets the fx level send. However, it's the volume knob on the cleans that do the same. I can fully understand why this was done (to preserve the integrity of the original IIC+ circuit, while giving folks a better knob as the fx send in cleans, as people will run the volume much higher than the gain on the clean channel).

That being said, this explains the clip that was posted on the other board, as the guy has his gain cranked up to around 3:00 (which is also the send level to his fx loop) and then switched back over to his clean channel where the volume was almost shut OFF (meaning there's was little to no signal being fed into the loop), so naturally there was a volume jump on the repeat. I mentioned the low volume a few times, but most people were dismissive of it.

Read your manual folks. They're your friend... 8)

They should have a "LIKE" tab
I like mesa manuals 8)
Richb

Late to this discussion with my recent acquisition of LTD. Absolutely love this amp! Have yet to try or check out the loop issue or if it has been fixed. Low serial # in the upper 30's. LTD's were shipped later and it's possible the fix was completed. I have noticed a similar issue while using reverb on just the clean channel. When switching back to clean from either gain channel, there is a noticeable audible volume jump along with a moment of harsh sounding reverb. Not a big issue for me but the question is, is this related to or the same as the "loop issue"? Will eventually try a delay out in the loop for giggles. My plan is to w/d/w with an MK V, MK 25, and the JP dry and no reverb. W/D with the MK V if the MK 25 is lacking, but with the MK V powered down to 45 or even 10 watts to pair better with the V 25.

I don't have the amp but that doesn't sound good.... As much as I don't want you to have a problem with your amp, I hope I don't have this problem when mine shows up :s

Mine has a similar problem with the reverb. When I switch to clean there's kind of a wash out of reverb. Just for half a second maybe. No jump in reverb volume or any other nasty noises, although I do play loud. It's just a little splash of reverb left over. I always thought it went hand in hand with the delay problems and the mod, but all the limited editions, I thought, should have the mod already. It doesn't bother me. The amp is amazing. :mrgreen:

I would have thought that the immediately after the switch to the clean channel (from a distorted channel), the distorted reverb would still be echoing / left hanging for a bit (a second or so) anyway? That would be normal in my view. A noticeable volume spasm wouldn't be acceptable though.

Edit - I suppose there might be a jump if the channels had different volume settings (i.e. if the clean channel was set louder than the distorted channel, the distorted reverb would hang for a second but at the louder volume of the clean channel). That makes sense to me - probably further complicated by the differences in the channel masters / gains.

Ultimately it depends how jarring it is as to how acceptable it is.

This does sound very similar to the loop issue. Mine has the issue as I have not had the modification done. However, the issue does not seem to be present when the amp is performing at performance volume. If i have the masters low, then the delay trail causes the volume jump when switching to channel one. At a loud(er) volume, I can not reproduce the issue. So you might try cranking it up a bit just to see if it subsides...

This definitely was an issue for me and only showed up when using my delay going from dirty to clean. On my amp, it was a very loud and pronounced volume difference. I play my JP2C at many different volume levels, so the mod is important. Boogie, as always, handled the matter like only they do. They paid the shipping and told me they will turn it around in less than two days. They actually called me to tell me of this issue before I even noticed it, they were on top of it from the beginning. I let it go for a little while because I was using very little effects. When I tried my Strymon El Capistan for the first time the volume burst darn near knocked me off my chair, granted it was at low volume. Although minor to some players, I look forward to it being fixed. If I had to take it to a local shop, I'd likely decline. Since Boogie was willing to do it themselves at the factory, that made it easier to swallow.

Mine came perfectly! I am loving it!

JP-2C LE #53

I believe no LEs have left the factory without the mod.

Mine was supposed to come with the mod done in the factory, but it seems that it doesn't. I'm pissed off about it because I emailed Mesa with the amp's serial number before purchasing, and they told me it had the mod done before leaving the factory. And my amp also came with the piece of paper stating that it had the mod done.

milin_im said:
Mine was supposed to come with the mod done in the factory, but it seems that it doesn't. I'm pissed off about it because I emailed Mesa with the amp's serial number before purchasing, and they told me it had the mod done before leaving the factory. And my amp also came with the piece of paper stating that it had the mod done.
How do you know that the mod was not done?

Mesa has already stated that extreme settings between channels may still cause an issue.

domct203 said:
milin_im said:
How do you know that the mod was not done?

Mesa has already stated that extreme settings between channels may still cause an issue.

I'll take a picture when I can to see the position of the volume knobs when it starts to do what it does without the mod. I thought it shouldn't happen at all with the mod done. The volume knobs in my amp are different because I can't play very loud at my apartment at the moment, but I know that they don't have an extreme difference.

Is this extreme enough to be able to hear the problem with the loop or not in your case?

20160908_191254.jpg

Latest posts

Back