John petrucci's distortion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saminator19

Reaction score
Hey

im a huge fan of dream theater and john petrucci is my idol and i want to get close to the tone he has.
I recently bought a mesa rectoverb combo. i know it isnt close to anything he uses but i want to know if there were any distortion or any other pedals out ther that would get me close to his sound.

for the distortion pedal, i want to get close to that really heavy gain he uses in the album train of thought

any reccomendations?
thank you :D

saminator19 said:
Hey

im a huge fan of dream theater and john petrucci is my idol and i want to get close to the tone he has.
I recently bought a mesa rectoverb combo. i know it isnt close to anything he uses but i want to know if there were any distortion or any other pedals out ther that would get me close to his sound.

for the distortion pedal, i want to get close to that really heavy gain he uses in the album train of thought

any reccomendations?
thank you :D

Try something like a Maxon OD808 or Fulltone OCD setup as a clean boost (gain at/near zero, and volume near maxed).... then adjust your amps settings to you're liking. That should get you close but IMO if you're after Petrucci's tone get a Mark IV.

If you are after Train of Thought tones then you bought the right amp! He used a RoadKing on that album.

Try someo of these settings - they should get you close:

TKY02.jpg

saminator19 said:
naw bud, if you read the top it sais that i bought a rectifier rect-o-verb

You still have a rectifier, bud. He runs all 6L6 modes on his RoadKing, so try the Vintage and/or Modern settings he uses - you'll be in the ballpark.

Owning his signature JP guitar gets you closer as well. ;) He dropped tuned alot on Train of Thought so that will also help.

BTW, there is a subforum dedicated to Petrucci tone threads. 8)

His tone is mostly straight from the amp, gainwise. He occasionally mucks around with Tubescreamer type pedals, like that Keeley modded TS9DX...

MusicManJP6 said:
If you are after Train of Thought tones then you bought the right amp! He used a RoadKing on that album.

Try someo of these settings - they should get you close:

TKY02.jpg

Is he running the amp in Bold or Spongy?

TY

Latest posts

Back