John Petrucci talks about Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilsaint

Reaction score
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2011/Oct/Dream_Theater_Drama_Kings.aspx?Page=1

on Page.3

John P., you’re partially responsible for making the Mesa/ Boogie Mark IIC+ the most sought-after vintage Mesa, and you’ve consistently used Boogie amps over the years. Your rig now features the Mark V, which has Mark IIC+ and Mark IV modes. Can the Mark V replicate those amp tones exactly?

Petrucci: It’s really, really close. You can’t even tell the difference. The whole record was done with the Mark V. All the rhythm guitars were done with the Mark IV mode, and all the guitar solos were done with the IIC+ mode. It sounds so incredible. I’ll have the Mark IV and IIC+ in the studio and A/B them, and not only can you not tell the difference, in many cases, the Mark V beats them with the improvements they made.

How so?

Petrucci: The Mark V uses newer parts and technology and has a more focused sound, in general.

Both of you have also incorporated the Fractal Audio Axe-Fx into your rigs.

Petrucci: When I went into the studio, the Fractal guys came down and mic’d up my Mark V. We got this great guitar sound and they modeled it as closely as they could. I was then able to use that bank of Axe-Fx sounds to comfortably write and demo the album. It was incredibly convenient and simple, and it sounded amazing. Once the writing process was complete, I then mic’d up the Boogie and rerecorded all the guitars with the Mark V. Here and there, we ended up keeping the scratch guitar performances with the Fractal if it was something that just had that certain performance magic—mostly some clean stuff and a couple of short lines.

Kind of makes me wonder if he actually used the Axe Fx alot more then claimed for the album.There's some killer tones on the new album for sure, though.

Check out the John Petrucci new Mark V setting on 2011 tour.

http://mesaboogie.com/news/2011/10/dream-theater-a-dramatic-turn-of-events-2011-photos-rig-tour-interviews-settings/
JPlivesettings2011gradient.png

But 1 thing that I'm confused here though. At first he said you can't tell the difference between the IIC+ and the IIC+ on the Mark V, then he said that the one on Mark V is better. How is it better if you can't tell the difference?

yongling said:
But 1 thing that I'm confused here though. At first he said you can tell the difference between the IIC+ and the IIC+ on the Mark V, then he said that the one on Mark V is better. How is it better if you can't tell the difference?
Marketing. That's how.

yongling said:
But 1 thing that I'm confused here though. At first he said you can't tell the difference between the IIC+ and the IIC+ on the Mark V, then he said that the one on Mark V is better. How is it better if you can't tell the difference?

I imagine (like he says) it's the components used. Along with the features. Multi-watt choices, built in variac, choice of power section wiring, the fx loop, the spring reverb and the fact the IIC+ mode on the mark IV is based on doug west's preferred IIc+. I cannot remember why he preffered it, i think the EQ circuit was wired differently. I may be wrong.

Take all that bullshit out of the signal chain, get that 750 Hz slider up and see what happens. I have no doubt that the loop is better in the Mark V. I have said the same thing about the Andy Timmons videos. Both of these guys are AWESOME players, but let me hear them minus any effects. That is the true tone. :shock: The marketing by endorsed artists is another issue altogether.

yongling said:

This quote is a little out of context.

Petrucci: It’s really, really close. You can’t even tell the difference. The whole record was done with the Mark V. All the rhythm guitars were done with the Mark IV mode, and all the guitar solos were done with the IIC+ mode. It sounds so incredible. I’ll have the Mark IV and IIC+ in the studio and A/B them, and not only can you not tell the difference, in many cases, the Mark V beats them with the improvements they made.

How so?

Petrucci: The Mark V uses newer parts and technology and has a more focused sound, in general.

I don't think John is saying what Mesa Boogie wants him to say. I think we have a similar case to the "Dual Rectifiers" here. The old 2 Channels are somewhat notorious because many old F*ckers like myself want THAT sound. It isn't to say that the new 'reborn' heads are worse. They are improved. They have an expanded feature set, they are brighter, track faster, and have a great 'feel' for playing. But, it isn't the 'old' recto. I mean I read this article where Randall Smith talks about trying to replicate a prototype amp exactly because he wants all his amps to be magical. It is conceivable that there are amp manufacturers who have more tonal variation within one amp model than Mesa has within the entire 'Recto' line including single rectos, road kings, All 2 channels, old 3 channel, reborn, mini, etc...

Back to John Petrucci, I guess he happens to like the Mark V. I wonder if the speculation of 'design improvements' for the new Mark Vs is true, or if guys are simply learning how to dial in their amps!

Man, he's got the 750 totally cut out, the mids at 0. How does his sound cut through in that configuration? I can't get seem to get anything useable with John's settings. It does sound heavy solo'd, but with some drums and another guitar, my tone is just a boomy mess.

He probably has a lot more going on... EQs in the loop and more i guess

Latest posts

Back