JMP-1 mushiness in overdrive modes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUDIODW

Reaction score
JMP-1 using opamp to produce so-called "tube" distortion. those two tube inside just warm up the signal, has nothing to do with overdrive or clean..

get a real marshall if you after that kind of sound..

AUDIODW said:
JMP-1 using opamp to produce so-called "tube" distortion. those two tube inside just warm up the signal, has nothing to do with overdrive or clean..

get a real marshall if you after that kind of sound..

:roll:

we have all heard excellent guitar sounds from a JMP-1.

rabies, are you ever on HCAF? The user "BillyCorgan" there has the MCIS setup essentially, but he might be able to rap with you about the JMP-1.

The JMP-1 can be tricky to find the sweet spot, but what I have found, pairing it with the right power amp can make it or break it. When I first started using my JMP-1, (1992), I paired it with a Marshall 9200 amp. I could never get rid of the shrill, fizzy, high end. I finally ditched the 9200 about 6 month later for a Strategy 500 and has been the only amp I've needed ever since. If I remember, the 9200 had el34 tubes. The 6l6's of the Strategy made a big difference in my tone, and also seemed to make my JMP-1 more useable. From time to time I will even use a TS9 in front of the pre for a little extra added sustain and saturation, not that I really need it, but what the heck. 8)

I couldn't remember what tubes my 9200 had, but either way, I like the Mesa amp with my JMP-1 much better for my liking.

rabies said:
well i just bought a EL34 monobloc 100/100.

that should fix it :)

Did it fix it? If it didn't, did you try swapping out the 12AX7s (not that I have any brand to recommend).

Latest posts

Back