JMP-1 and headphone choices

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
I got my Sony Studio Monitors for $100. They are more comfortable to me than others I have tried. The sound is pretty decent also. They have since made newer versions that are even more adjustable with more moving parts since I got mine. I think that the MDR-V6 (replaced the 600 series I got originally) that I have now (I had to replace the other set because someone put them away with mousse or gel sweat on them causing the pads to melt) are still a good buy for the money. I think you could probably find them over at Fry's for about $80? Again, they have made some others that are nicer since but you were looking for something in the C-note category. I was looking at the frequency response and they get down pretty low as well as get pretty high. I have yet to blow a driver in one yet either. I have been using these (this style) for about the last 10 years or so. I had a set before the last set that was stolen after about a year. That bummed me out because they were pretty expensive back then. The pair that got wasted by the hair products actually lasted for about 7 years. I would replace the pads but Sony won't sell them to me (Bastards!). Otherwise they are still in great shape. I like the older set because there was a little less exposed metal and my hair didn't get caught in them as easily. The new set is ok but I just have to be a little more careful now. They give you a nice little bag to carry them in. I also like the fact that they fold up and don't take up much space considering that they are relatively large headphones. Another thing I like about them is that the mini plug screws into the 1/4 adapter. The older units had nice gold connections. The new ones have the typical chrome looking metal. When I had the JMP-1 I could never overdrive the headphone speakers either which was a good thing. The pads kept all of the sound in also. There are other styles out there by other manufacturers but I really don't care for the ones with the strap that suspends them on your head. I much prefer the padded type. They have reduced the padding on the headband some since the old ones but they are still comfortable enough to wear for hours. I also like the single sided cord as opposed to the ones that have the cord going into both sides that tends to get all in your way. I like that they swivel and pivot too. The other styles Sony offers can even be used by DJ's because they can use them as a one speaker to hold to their ear because they are a little more adjustable. I didn't see the need for all that so I just stayed with the V6. Besides the V6 looks more classic to me. They remind me of the 600's I had before. I only wish that the headband was as cushy as the old 600's. Hmmm... Maybe I can try to migrate the ear pads or the headband padding? If the ear pads fit the old ones I would rather use those anyway. Looking at them they should. Maybe they sell the replacement ear pads for the V6? I will have to check that out.

I just didn't think it sounded organic enough playing through a power amp. I liked the versatility to be able to call up presets but again it was a decision where tone was the key. I did like it into an old NMV Marshall but that was kind of sacrilige. I actually played it for about 4 years through various effects and into the various Marshall power amps before returning to heads. I actually preferred the 9005 over the 9100 but I liked the EL34 50/50 over the 9100 also. I think it was a dislike of the 5881's in the 9100 because they jsut didn't have the EL34/Marshall sound. I didn't get a chance to A/B the 9005 and the EL34 50/50. I think I liked the 9005 best but it was so clunky and heavy. It wasn't exactly the prettiest thing either but it sounded great. It took up 4 spaces too. That was a bummer. It was worse than trying to carry around 2 heads at the same time. I was nice to be able to practice through headphones though or rip something in the middle of the night when I was inspired. There is a guy in NY that called me about a possible trade for my GSP2101 Artist 3.0a w/PPC210. I still might do it just to give the Marshall another go. If I end up not liking it still I might stick it in the closet or use it as trade stock. I dunno. Maybe I might like it into my Mark IV?

ive been using sony mdr-7506 headphones for almost a decade now i think. i beat the hell out of them, the foam pads badly need replaced, but they still rock. loud, clear, and pretty good flat response. i think they were like $80-$110 when they were new.

Latest posts

Back