JBLs in Mesa cabs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krcassid

Reaction score
I'm considering putting JBLs into some Mesa cabs. I've got a Mark 2a that came with a JBL k120. I've got a 3/4 back cab that came with an E120. I don't use the Mark much anymore (WAY too loud, particularly with JBL) as I've moved to a rack-based system with Recto Pre, Studio Pre & Triaxis feeding a pair of 20/20s and a 2:90. I've got a lot of Mesa cabs, mostly 1 x 12s. I have 4 Recto 1 x 12s and 4 Thiele 1 x 12s and the 3/4 back mentioned above. With the exception of the 2 JBLs, all cabs have standard Black Shadows.

I'd like to experiment with the JBLs a bit but don't know where to start. I'd like to get SOME of that JBL punch/ sound (had an old Twin with D120s I loved). My thought was to add a JBL to each side (I do everything in stereo). Can some of you who have some experience w/ JBLs give me some advice? Would they work OK in Recto cabs? In Thieles? I could just start playing musical chairs with my speakers/cabs but I thought I'd ask for any experience 1st.

One concern is: will the JBLs blow away my other cabs? I realize they are probably a ton more efficient than my Black Shadows. So, if I hook them up in parallel, will the JBLs be too loud? Maybe there's an option for series to deliberately give them less power?

As you can probably tell, I'm not a cab/ speaker guy so I'm hoping you guys can help. Thx!

Back