Jazz Guitar Boogie Model Recommendation

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzHack

Reaction score
Hi, I need a recommendation Boogie model for playing with a Gibson L-5, fat jazz guitar. With my vintage stuff 1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb, with just Treble and Bass I can't control the bass (feedback from large body) and roll off the highs to get a nice fat jazz tone without the guitar wanting to explode. I figure any amp with a mid control will help. I like tubes. I was thinking of a Mark 1 with the graphic EQ, then I figured it would be nice to have a Mark II so there is the channel switching. I have heard some people say the don't like the graphic eq but it seems like a good idea when trying to control the bass on a jazz box. Usually I will just be going for a bebop tone but overdrive is a nice option. Any way I called boogie and the guy I spoke to there said he thought the Lonestar was the best clean tone amp boogie has ever made. Any way opinions are welcome. I am open to any vintage boogie. I am aiming for something with a 100 watts because I have several 20-50 watt amps. Thanks!

I have the Mark II (C+) and I also mainly play jazz. Not with a hollowbody, though, but still. The clean channel is absolutely fabulous! Extremely pure and clear tone that really let's the guitar shine through perfectly! And the controls interact with each other in such a way that you'll find tone combinations you never thought you'd find in the same one amp. And the EQ adds even more to that! No problem achieving that tricky-eq'd Metheny tone, for instance.

The lead channel is very high gain on the C+, though, which is great for me, because I also play some Dream Theater stuff, where the guitarist, John Petrucci, mainly used these on several albums. But it might not suit you that very well. With the gain lowered, however, I bet you could get some nice slightly overdriven tones from it as well, though, but I haven't tried that yet, as mine is currently down and needing some maintenance.

The Mark II was made in three (well, four, counting the C/C+) versions, and each is very different.

Check out this site for more info on that:

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/welcome.html

I have tried the Lonestar as well, and the clean really is the best ever made in a Boogie! Fantastic amp! If I were to chose a currently-in-production amp today for jazz (and many, many other things), that'd definitely be it!

Mm..

sphd_w1w8t.jpg

I can tell you that i have the LSC v1 - 50/100 and it is the clean you want. if you want a little more fuzzy ... I think you should consider ALL of the Mark series. For jazz only - you should be able to dial it in on the MkI/II/III/or IV ...

it really depends on whether you want one tone at a time or more ... for your selection. the LSC on the 100 watt mode has as much headroom as you will ever need. that being said, i can;t seem to turn off my Mk III for anything - I just spin the knobs.

I think you might have the same feedback issues with a different amp. With that kind of guitar it's always an issue. There are stories of stuffing the guitar w/foam so it doesn't vibrate quite as much, but I'd start by evaluating the volume and the amp placement.

Personally I think a Deluxe has a perfect tone for jazz, though it's low wattage means early breakup. But higher watts, more volume, more feedback...

I have heard very nice jazz coming from a Rectifier combo.

I get great jazz cleans from my Roadster. The Roadster and the Road King II share the same circuitry for their clean channels as the Lonestar series amps. In my opinion these are the finest cleans Mesa has to offer and man are they sweet. I use channel one in fat mode and it sounds better than my Fender Twin and the Deluxe I used to own; all the warmth and classic mystique of the Fender cleans with alot more focus and clarity and better reverb. Since I play Jazz, Fusion and Prog the Roadster is perfect for me because I get pristine cleans, face melting distortion and everything inbetween. That being said if you mean to play Bebop exclusively you probably don't need the additional two high gain channels the Roadster has over the Lonestar. I would suggest getting the Lonestar for your applications -you won't be dissapointed.

I have a Yamaha AEX1500 that I use for Jazz (great guitar). In the past I've used my Evans JE150 which is great for jazz. You can call Evans and get plenty of ear time for questions, etc.

The last two times I played jazz I used my LSC (10/50/100) 2x12. I used a clean setting from the manual and then tweaked it a little. Still some hints of guitar-exploding feedback lurking in the background occasionally but I think I can tweak them out. I used the 100w setting and regular (not tweed) power.

Sound was GREAT. Clean, strong, and nice to be hearing tubes.

It's great that you're looking into Mesa but I'm just curious what pointed you in this direction. You're playing a L5 so I immediately thought of Wes Montomery. Mesa is not the 1st name in traditional Jazz unless you're doing fusion/progressive jazz which tonewise is rock to me, an es175 or 335 would suited better, IMO.
Regareless if you're trying to fight feedback, a higher gain amp (the MK) will make it worst. The LSC may do it. If you're trying to get more control on tone, perhaps just a simple graphic EQ pedal infront would be all you needed.

Latest posts

Back