Jazz Guitar Boogie Model Recommendation

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzHack

Reaction score
Hi, I need a recommendation Boogie model for playing with a Gibson L-5, fat jazz guitar. With my vintage stuff 1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb, with just Treble and Bass I can't control the bass (feedback from large body) and roll off the highs to get a nice fat jazz tone without the guitar wanting to explode. I figure any amp with a mid control will help. I like tubes. I was thinking of a Mark 1 with the graphic EQ, then I figured it would be nice to have a Mark II so there is the channel switching. I have heard some people say the don't like the graphic eq but it seems like a good idea when trying to control the bass on a jazz box. Usually I will just be going for a bebop tone but overdrive is a nice option. Any way I called boogie and the guy I spoke to there said he thought the Lonestar was the best clean tone amp boogie has ever made. Any way opinions are welcome. I am open to any vintage boogie. I am aiming for something with a 100 watts because I have several 20-50 watt amps. Thanks!

I can't speak for the Mark's but all I play is jazz, fusion, standards, and some classic lite rock and my Lonestar Classic and DC-5 are the best amps I have used in 45 years for overall sound. I can coax anyting I want out of them.

Yes, the graphic EQ is a must for you for both tayloring the sound and fixing any feedback problems. My ES-5 Switchmaster loves my Mark IIB. The range of sounds from very clean to super hot distortion is unmatched in this amp.

If you cant coax good jazz tones from that Fender,it may be time for an overhaul.That aside,I would stay away from the MK series,although they do have great clean tones,you wouldnt need all they have to offer as far as overdrive is concerned.The Lonestar is probably a better choice for cleans and the lower level of overdrive you need for jazz.If you need more power than the Deluxe,maybe one of the bigger Blackface Fenders would be the way to go,after all Fender is the king when it comes to clean.The clean channels of the Mesa amps is basically a clone of the Fenders,and all "clean" tones are always compared to Fender.

I own a Vibro-King and a Twin and I have been finding myself using the Lonestar more and more in both the studio and live. It just sounds fuller to me, if that makes any sense, than the Fenders. Could be the cabs or guitars but it, for now anyway, just sounds better. But coming up fast on the outside is my newly acquired DC-5. This amp really offers the best of both worlds. A great clean with plenty of headroom (Jazz) and then jump to channel 2 for some serious overdrive if you need it. We represent three jazz and jazz fusion groups and all of them have been really turned on by both the Lonestar and DC-5, and again both live and in the studio.

Often the "problem",if you can call it a problem,with multi-amp ownership.You keep flip-flopping on what sounds best.I have about 15 or so amps and from time to time every one of them is my favorite.

stokes said:
Often the "problem",if you can call it a problem,with multi-amp ownership.You keep flip-flopping on what sounds best.I have about 15 or so amps and from time to time every one of them is my favorite.
Amen ...bro.

Since you're using an L-5, I would guess you're going for an at least somewhat "traditional" jazz sound. Who would you compare your sound to? Wes, Kenny Burrell, Jim Hall, George Benson?

I have a MkIIA and a MkIII red stripe. The II has a more prominent midrange to my ears and I prefer it for straight ahead jazz. It's a 60/100 watt model and on the 60-watt setting it's hard to take if the volume is above 2. It's really loud! The clean channel is great for comping and I generally crank the midrange. The lead channel is darker and will break up a bit sooner. If the Lead drive is lower it can be distortion free.

I had issues with most Fenders for the reason you state, not getting a dark enough sound without getting really boomy.

FWIW, I also use a newer tweed champ made by Michael Swart for no-drums gigs that gets a nice sound. Even with this amp the single tone control is on @2 and I back off the volume on the guitar to diminish the high end a little.

gts said:
I suggested the Mark series because I think they pair up well when using humbuckers.
My LP and ES175 sound great through them when playing just about any style of music.

Then again I don't own other models and have had and or used a Mark series amp for 22 years.

I would like to try out a Lonestar some day but have been pretty happy with the Mark series.

cb101, sent you a PM
I didnt mean to say a MK isnt good for jazz,the cleans in most of them are incredible,just meant it is probably too much amp for someone who is strictly playing jazz.

I have seen Jazz guy's play live with a mark IV even! I would try out the Lonestar. I recently tried it out and I am considering adding that to my collection which says a lot because I am partial to the mark and caliber series. I was playing some jazz through it and it was pretty awesome. There is a nice mild overdrive channel as well.

Mark IV will do anything! I think Mark series is probably the best bet here as well.

If you can find one - my 15" Mark I (and also my Mark IV through the 15" speaker) sound big, thick and dee-lishus, would be real pretty for jazz guitar!

Latest posts

Back