IV Owners: Full or Tweed Power?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Hero

Reaction score
Which do you use mostly, and why?

I've been stuck on Tweed lately, sounds killer for leads. I also have a latching switch attached to the Class A/Simul Class switching jack in the back of the amp, for instant Class A 8)

I find myself going back and forth, depending on my mood. Sometimes I want a filthy dirty sound so I use Tweed, Class A, Triode, and Harmonics. Other times I want tear your head off cleans with BIG headroom so I use Full power, Simul-class, Pentode and Mid Gain. Thats one of the best features of this amp, it's so versatile. I've had my Mark IV for a little over seven years now and even though several other amps have come and gone before and since the Mark IV I keep coming back to it because it's just an awesome piece of equipment.
BTW I just thought I would add, I really don't understand why so many people knock Rhy 2, I think it's perfect for times when I don't want either crystal clean, or raunchy dirt. IMO that's where a lot of the great tones in this amp are, in that middle ground between the two extemes. Also I see no reason what so ever for a Mark V, it's perfect the way it is. Like I keep saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

gotta love the III, it doesn't hurt my BRAIN.

mas 7, ld mas 5-6 = high volume tonal bliss

Schmoog said:
gotta love the III, it doesn't hurt my BRAIN.

mas 7, ld mas 5-6 = high volume tonal bliss

Jesus, that has to be LOUD? Is that with a 4x12?

And I thought I practiced with my band loud, being at master 4 and lead master 3.5 in simulclass.

its with a 2x12 right now. but I am picking up a penn custom 4x12 with 30 watt weber ceramic silver bells, and will run the 4x12 along with my 60's sunn 2x12 (original made in england celestion g12-T75's)

i started out on the tweed bus but lately i'm stuck in Full-Simul-Pentode-Harmonics, it just gets super clean R1, this punchy dirty clean sound i'm looking for on R2, and smooth non-brown sounding on Lead.

i keep my channel volumes real low and my master around 3

I find myself getting stuck in Tweed, Class A, Triode, and Harmonics all the time. I try other stuff but end up switching back. Maybe it is the old school thrasher in me.

I have one setting for live gigs and one setting for home practice.

Live: Full Power>Pentode/Triode (I switch it up)>Harmonics>Simulclass

Home: Tweed>Triode>Mid Gain>Class A

For gigs I use either a 2x12 Mesa Recto cab or a Mesa Thiele loaded with a 400 watt Eminence Delta Pro 12A. With the Thiele, I can crank it up more and take advantage pushed power tubes. Loud as hell!

hey, sorry to bump an old thread...

I just got my mark IV and have been playing in tweed a lot

However, i noticed it is extremely quiet. I figured it would atleast be loud enough for a small live show...but it seems it only goes up to bedroom levels (maybe a little louder) definitely not loud enough for a show.

Is that normal? Its my first tube amp so im a noob...any help appreciated :)

username455 said:
hey, sorry to bump an old thread...

I just got my mark IV and have been playing in tweed a lot

However, i noticed it is extremely quiet. I figured it would atleast be loud enough for a small live show...but it seems it only goes up to bedroom levels (maybe a little louder) definitely not loud enough for a show.

Is that normal? Its my first tube amp so im a noob...any help appreciated :)

This is not normal. Where are your channel and output volumes? With my channel and output on 3.5, it starts to get pretty loud...

i had both volumes around 4 to start with...then i took the channel volume up to 7.

Also, when i put the channel volume at 0 and output at say 6, it is fairly quiet (obviously) but as i turn the channel volume from 0-3 it gets quieter :shock: once i hit 4 on the channel volume it bumps up. only happens in tweed.

full power is super loud though.

username455 said:
i had both volumes around 4 to start with...then i took the channel volume up to 7.

Also, when i put the channel volume at 0 and output at say 6, it is fairly quiet (obviously) but as i turn the channel volume from 0-3 it gets quieter :shock: once i hit 4 on the channel volume it bumps up. only happens in tweed.

full power is super loud though.

Strange.

At home I’m back and forth with full/tweed and the same for simul/class A but favor tweed/class A most of the time pentode harmonics for r3.
Live however full power/simul/pentode, not written in stone but most of the time

Latest posts

Back