IV or V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lahandras

Reaction score
Having set my eyes on the MKV for a long time, i just received an offer for a mkiv hardwood combo for a 1000€. It needs tubeswapping and some knobcleaning , but works just fine.

Can i go wrong with it, as i just need 1 high-gain channel and 1 decent (not uber-brilliant-sparkling-bestoftheworld) clean channel?
The most important thing for me is the high gain channel, because i mainly will use the amp in a metal-band without doing too much shredding leads but some nice two-voiced melodies.

i don´t care about 3 modes per channel and so on the V offers, as i only will use 1 setting for "in your face" and 1 setting for the clean-stuff.
The only pedal i will use is a delay and thats it. i don´t even need the reverb.

Reading a lot of posts i understand that the V rips the IV in channel 1 and 2. but how do the "high gain" channel compare in the high gain rhythm area (esp. chunk, bottom end, shimmer, etc)?

i really need your help on this.

thx for your time

Its really difficult to say because there are advantages and disadvantages for both and it depends on the sound you are trying to get. I really wanted the classic Boogie thick & vocal lead sound (I am not a metal player although thats all there on the iv too) - I tried out both amps and ended up with a Mark iva because to me the lead sound was much closer to the sound I had in my head, although that could be as much because of the small box combo and the EV speaker as the amp itself. Some of the options on the iv lead channel are preset on the v so the iv might be a bit more versatile in the lead channel. My conclusion was that although I really liked channel 1 & 2 on the v and thought they had way more to offer than those on the iv, I much preferred the ivs lead channel. The price difference had an influence on it too. If you only want a great lead and a good clean I think the iv might do what you want, maybe even better than the v but I would recommend trying both. One other thought:- If you get the iv at a good price you shouldn't lose anything if you want to trade up later, but it you buy a new v and want to sell it used you will take a big hit on the price.

Rob Lockwood said:
...classic Boogie thick & vocal lead sound (I am not a metal player although thats all there on the iv too) - I tried out both amps and ended up with a Mark iva because to me the lead sound was much closer to the sound I had in my head.....Some of the options on the iv lead channel are preset on the v so the iv might be a bit more versatile in the lead channel. My conclusion was that although I really liked channel 1 & 2 on the v and thought they had way more to offer than those on the iv, I much preferred the ivs lead channel.

+1 for me too. I have had a IVa for about 20 years now and went to try a V as soon as I could. I ended up with the some of the same conclusions as the poster above. However, that's for me. Everyone is different and the sound in your head will ultimately tell you what's right.

For me the choice is the Mark IV all the ways, if i read your post your are a Metal guy in your face sound. So take the mark IV. I try the mark V, the sound was amazing but not like the metal sound i want to hear ! and if you only need a clean and a crunch for your sound, don't spend your money ! find a Mark IV at cheap price and enjoy the truth metal sound !

It's my opinions and i have nothing against the Mark V it's a great amp but i like more the Mark IV sound for the kind of Metal i play! (Kreator,C.O.C,Exodus,Obituary,Down.ect...)

JOEY B. said:
FWIW, open back 1x12 combo amps and "metal" rhythms are not the best match. Get a head version of either amp. 8)
no matter which amp i will choose, they will sit on a 2x12 stiletto

having said that... i tested the mk iv combo for 2 rehearsals now and i honestly don´t know if the amp just needs new tubes. if you pull "lead drive" the amp starts squealing (pentode, harmonics, simul) gain 8, treb8, bass3, mid 5, pres (pushed in)3, eq sliders some sort of petrucci v, lead drive 8, channel volume around 3.5 and master volume at 2. the squeal stays even with the guitar volume at 0. it stops when pushing lead drive in again and starts again when pulled. if you pull presence at 0 it stops but starts again when you raise presence. its not the typical amptooloud-guitartooclose feedback, more like a shifting ringing flubbing thing.

soundwise i like the amp, and i even managed to get a warm nice crunchy thing out of channel 2

May very well be a microphonic pre-amp tube. I'd start with the V1 slot and replace that one. You can do the pencil tapping test to see which one is suspect.

Latest posts

Back