Issue with Roadster... PLEASE HELP!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdurso

Reaction score
So I got my new Roadster about a month ago and found myself to be very lucky because i didn't have any of the popping issues everyone else on here has had. So i was playing it yesterday and lately I've been trying to determine whether I like Spongy or bold better because I always use to use Bold on my other Rectos. Anyway I noticed yesterday when I play channels 3 and 4 on Spongy there is this HUGE volume loss..... the volume is fine on 1 and 2 but then i switch to 3 or 4 and it reduces at least 50-60% and they should be a little louder.... i have all my volumes at 12 o clock and i use the output as my volume and usually never take that past 8:30/9.... so i thought it was something wrong with the tubes or something more particular to channels 3 and 4 but if i put it back on Bold everything is fine. Any suggestions before I call Mesa?? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Just the call tech support at Mesa. Those guys are great and will help you figure it out.

This should be normal because of the compression and the high gain out of channels 3 and 4. I have the same thing but not 50-60% lower volume. Remember clean channels need to be louder for the headroom and gain channels are not really louder. They seem louder but they're so compressed that they aren't.

I called Mesa just for the hell of it..they don't know ****. So just for that BS I might dump this Roadster now. I had the understanding that Mesa was hand made by a bunch of guys that "KNEW" wtf they were building and making. And they're going to tell me, "we never heard this problem/issue before". The techs have no clue as to what it could be. I just lost about 85% (alot more than your 50% volume loss :twisted: ) confidence in these people. How in the f@#$ are you going to tell me, "the techs have no idea what it is". What happens now in the future? What about when something else goes wrong if it does? They're going to tell me the same thing? No way! This thing is going back for a refund/exchange to the store and good bye Mesa. I'm a hard-*** consumer and if you pull garbage like that on me..I don't excuse it. Not for $2000!

jdurso said:
............. Anyway I noticed yesterday when I play channels 3 and 4 on Spongy there is this HUGE volume loss..... the volume is fine on 1 and 2 but then i switch to 3 or 4 and it reduces at least 50-60% and they should be a little louder.... i have all my volumes at 12 o clock and i use the output as my volume and usually never take that past 8:30/9.... so i thought it was something wrong with the tubes or something more particular to channels 3 and 4 but if i put it back on Bold everything is fine. Any suggestions before I call Mesa?? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Are the pre-amp tubes Mesa Tubes? I remember reading this somewhere and some 12AX7's don't handle the voltage drop in spongy too well?? That with the added sag and compression to ch's 3 & 4 in Spongy may explain it.

I've tried spongy to make sure it works and did notice a volume drop, but nothing I didn't expect, nor anything I couldn't fix with the MV up a notch or two. I also noticed the pilot light gets dim as well.

Good luck,

Dom

domct203 said:
jdurso said:
............. Anyway I noticed yesterday when I play channels 3 and 4 on Spongy there is this HUGE volume loss..... the volume is fine on 1 and 2 but then i switch to 3 or 4 and it reduces at least 50-60% and they should be a little louder.... i have all my volumes at 12 o clock and i use the output as my volume and usually never take that past 8:30/9.... so i thought it was something wrong with the tubes or something more particular to channels 3 and 4 but if i put it back on Bold everything is fine. Any suggestions before I call Mesa?? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Are the pre-amp tubes Mesa Tubes? I remember reading this somewhere and some 12AX7's don't handle the voltage drop in spongy too well?? That with the added sag and compression to ch's 3 & 4 in Spongy may explain it.

I've tried spongy to make sure it works and did notice a volume drop, but nothing I didn't expect, nor anything I couldn't fix with the MV up a notch or two. I also noticed the pilot light gets dim as well.

Good luck,

Dom

Yes, that should be normal and it happens with most high gain amps.

I just don't feel confident with the way Mesa responded. That's not a good response from a co. like Mesa. If I know what it is how come they don't? :?: :?:

Latest posts

Back