is this an evm12L i would love your input on this thanks

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bede400

Reaction score
hi there need an id on this the code under the heats sink is 032 thanks

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2756/evmyv8.jpg

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4832/evm1jr6.jpg

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8248/evm2vp1.jpg

is it an evm12l thanks i dont want to buy a dodgy speaker thanks

yes, it is, but its not the version, they used to put into guitar amps, i think its the PA version, but at all they were almost the same speakers, perhaps this one is more powerfull. my friend plays thru pa evm and it has less treble, but it sounds still great.

i thought the 12l was originally a pa speaker that just started getting used as a guitar speaker without any changes still keen on a definite confirmation thanks for the reply cheers

AFAIK, they are good, and "probably" barely indistinguishable from the 12Ls. The power ratings are the same, and the ouput curves are very similar, although the 12L seems to have better bass response (below 200 Hz) while the 12S seems to be flatter from 1k to 2k Hz. This might make the 12L better for a guitar and 12S better for vocals, but I don't really know.

You can see the charts in the EDS sheets on the link I posted above. Similar, but different. The 12L is "...specially tailored for brilliant lead guitar performance...", whereas the 12S is "......specially tailored for lead guitar performance, it's shallow cone provides additional output in the crtical 700 to 3000 Hz range, for extra clarity and brilliance."

Hope that helps.

Looks like a 12L. The S version was OEM in EV's FM1245 vocal monitor and several versions of the EV 1202 and later SX-300 PA cabs. These all contained a 12S and a HF horn. The S works great for guitar but like said has slightly less responce below 200Hz which is where the guitar's fundamental range lies.

I always heard that the original EVM-12 was a sound reinforcement driver, and was later designated as the S (short cone excursion) model. The L (long cone excursion model) was an improved/dedicated instrument speaker.

hi everyone just wanted to thank you all for the informative input on this question youv'e all been very helpfull cheers

lol i was asked this last night i wonder if i was bidding against anyone here if so thanks for letting them go at a reasonable price. yep i did and im stolked to have matched pair on their way, one will go in a dc3 combo followed hopefully by a markIV to be purchased in the future the other will go into a thiele which is yet to be built but thanks to a boogie board member i now have the plans for a proper mesa thiele and being an ex timber mill worker i have plenty of beautiful timber to make a hardwood one.once again my thanks to everybody ive been looking for evm12l that can be shipped to australia that wont cost me an arm and a leg for a while cheers

my rig
peavey rockmaster 120w head (only used as power section in big shows)
boogie dc3 old version
4x12 pre rola celestions greenbacks
97 strat plus
ibanez rg2020x
boss ce-2 silver screw(1979)
keeley blues driver
modded ts9
dunlop crybaby
boss dm-2 delay (1982)
ibanez pt-9 (1981)
radial true bypass looper
boss tu-2

yeah i put one in my dc3 combo i havent heard a 12l so i cant really compare however it seems pretty good once the eq has been set. its a little clinical if you know what i mean but for now im sticking with it dam loud he he
although not really smooth little bit harsh but that could be my EQ settings so im gonna spend some time with it. :)

i mucked around with the settings and couldnt get awesome tone but got close and it kept on sounding really harsh with way too much high end sharpness like shards of glass lol. this is only at high volume on the lead channel thought something must be terribly wrong.

after heaps of swearing etc i thought about it and realised i may have wired it wrong LMAO i attached the incorrect way and once i swapped the leads around its definiteley smoother but still not amazing yet. it seems i have to pull nearly all the highs out and im talking like all of em any input on some eq settings as to what i should be cutting or boosting. its wierd in the lead channel when i hit som chunky chords it sounds like there is secondary sound within the sound i dunno maybe its just me. i definiteley have an awesome clean tone now i just have to work on the lead tone any input would be great eq wise ,im using a us strat plus with lace sensors cheers

all right after some time and not liking the speaker, i decided to re mount it as a rear mount with 8 bolts, so its really secure. low and behold i now understand what everyone is talking about. now i get the sweetest tone on both channels its friggin awesome thanks for all the help :D

still not exactly what i hear in my head but hopefully a thiele under the combo will help matters

Back