Is the MKIII Green Stripe Closest To Marshall Sound?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think the marshall Jcm 800 sounds pretty much the closest to the marshall jcm 800.. it can nail it spot on.. the mk III green sounds alot more like a mesa mk III, it does that sound the best..

I have had a MarK III, red stripe, Simul Class. I currently have a MK IIC+ and I looking for a Boogie that can go more toward the Marshall sound as well. Is the green stripe version of the MK III more like the Marshall that the other stripes of the MK III? I have heard this in the past but would like to here from those who might have real experience in this area because I have a good opportunity to get a green stripe.

III's generally have got a rawer feeling compared to other Mark series amps, and it makes me suppose they can be considered to have (just) a bit of a marshall vibe, but they still sound like a mesa. I've got no direct experience, so please wait for people who own it and can make the comparison, but it seems to me that the green stripe is the closest sounding to the IIC+, and I think it means smoother tones, further from that raw feeling of a Marshall.

If there is one that is closer to a marshall, I believe it would be the Mark 3 coliseum. Consider Syke's tone on the big White Snake Album . IT sounds very Marshall but better. there's a sweet 3 coliseum on the bay right now

If you get an III just make sure it is a simul-class you can then substitute two of the 6l6 power tubes with EL34’s this will give the amp a bit of the Marshall flavor. But even then its gonna sound like a Mesa, there is a ton of picking dynamics with a III which Marshall really does not have. If after the Marshall sound, why not buy a Marshall (get the real deal)?

6L6C said:
If you get an III just make sure it is a simul-class you can then substitute two of the 6l6 power tubes with EL34’s this will give the amp a bit of the Marshall flavor. But even then its gonna sound like a Mesa, there is a ton of picking dynamics with a III which Marshall really does not have. If after the Marshall sound, why not buy a Marshall (get the real deal)?

That is a good point about using a Simul Class in order to use EL34 tubes. I have had a red stripe Simul Class but have heard the green stripe was closer. (BTW, Mike Bendinelli told me the red stripe was closet to the MK IIC+).

I happen to like several different amp sounds. I have an old Ampeg Genini I, Ampeg VL 502, 1967 Traynor, and a modded Marshall JTM 30 with a Mercury Magnetics transformer. I like to have several sounds and one of my favorite is a JCM 800. It is not like I am being unfaithful to Boogie, I have had an original MKI, MKIIC+ 60/100, MK III red stripe Simul Class, Blue Angel 4 X 10, Studio 22+ and now the MKIIC+, Simul Class.

My problem with buying a Marshall JCM 800 (2204) 50 watter is that I don't want to spend $1,200.00, it doesn't have reverb, eq, channel switching, effects loop and it is a large package. Otherwise I think they sound fantastic and if I can approach that sound with a Boogie I would prefer to do it that way. Boogies are capable of more than just the signature "Boogie Sound". When I started putting MK series amps into larger cabs, It opened up a whole new world of sound for me and I personally enjoy the sound of my C+ through a 4 X 10" cab to the sound of any of the 5 or so 12" speakers I have tried in the combo. It is all just personal preference and after 4 decades of owning amps, I know what I like.

Well, with the Green Stripe you have the ability to run the outer EL34's in Pentode and have the post gain Graphic EQ. I would only venture to say it has the ability to be more Marshall like.
As far as it's relation to a Marshall, it's very distant and voiced completely different. Boogie's always seem to have a rounded tone regardless of volume where as Marshall's seem to be opened up to round off the tone. Unfortunately, I have come to know that if you want Marshall tone, use a Marshall. I keep one hidden in a case taped up with a do not cross line and a "Break only in case of emergency" sticker on it. :D

6L6C said:

Running 2 El34's is a must if you're after an approximate Marshall sound. 8)

I'd say my Green Stripe Mark III on R2 is very JCM 800ish in Class A mode with the EL-34's. The Lead channel is like a hot rodded 800 like everone wants and the reason I go this amp is because of it's versatility. It's a little different than the Marshalls of course but can approximate and I love it's tone anyway.

Paul Secondino said:
If there is one that is closer to a marshall, I believe it would be the Mark 3 coliseum. Consider Syke's tone on the big White Snake Album . IT sounds very Marshall but better. there's a sweet 3 coliseum on the bay right now

That amp was in my backyard, and I couldn't help myself. :eek: R2 in the "half power" mode and lots o' volume will come close to the Marshall sound. I'll have to install the bias pot and R2 volume control for some further results. This is NOT a bedroom practice amp, it is the MkIII's evil twin that they keep chained in the basement. :lol: :lol: :lol:

R2 on my III with the right speakers sounds Marshally. Not as much anymore with my EVs. When I had a worn-in Black Shadow it could cop some zeppelin though.

Latest posts

Back