is noise normal when using reverb at moderate levels?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonRedSox

Reaction score
is that normal or not normal? just curious. my bandmate thinks it isn't, but i thought is was considering the signal is moving through the spring.

I tested my Roadster's reverb after seeing this post and didn't hear any extra noise when the reverb was engaged.

What kind of noise ?

If the reverb is tube driven it often can cause noise.
You can just switch around tubes and see if one is make noise. You well want to look at the tube lay out to see what tubes do what too save time guessing. It is often in the manual.

You did not say what amp it is so I am not going to guess what the tube layout is.

Too be honest from here it is very difficult to tell/see if there really is a problem or not .....

I took a look at the manual (http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Roadster.pdf) and did not see anything about the reverb being tube or not .... or a tube layout diagram. Maybe I missed it ?

With the amp on tap with a pen or something each of the preamp tubes. If one makes more sound than the others that maybe the problem. A lot of times a bad one well make a loud pop sound.

Just mark the tubes with a permanent marker and wright down where they came from in the amp. Switch around the position of the preamp tubes and see if that helps find the problem.

The only mesa amp I know of that doesn't have a tube reverb is the nomad series.I have tube chart for the roadster and it says there is a tube for the reverb. It's V5 if i remember correctly.

No, it's actually V4. The Dual and Triple Rectifiers don't have tube reverb, as well as the Stilettos.

BostonRedSox said:
No, it's actually V4. The Dual and Triple Rectifiers don't have tube reverb, as well as the Stilettos.

... that would be because they don't have reverb at all

BostonRedSox said:

Any luck with finding a bad tube ? I hope it is that simple for you. The other thing you may want to do is clean the jacks on the reverb pan. I have heard of that causing noise problems also.

The Nomads, F series, Subway Rocket Reverb and Rectoverb all have solid-state reverb.

It may be nothing to do with the tubes even in a tube-reverb model though - a bad connection in the reverb cabling (RCA jacks at both ends, not just the amp chassis) will cause hum and possibly other types of noise as stephen sawall said, and also the reverb return (output) transducer is prone to picking up noise - it's essentially a single coil pickup, and is affected by noise sources near it in the same way. You will find that the tank is oriented so the return end is as far from the amp's power transformer as possible (if it's not, turn it round!) but it can also pick up noise from other nearby sources, including computer power supplies and other music gear.

Latest posts

Back