Is my Stiletto clean normal??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there. i have a Stiletto Trident and i'm running it to a 4x12 Marshall cab. My issue is, i found that both of the clean channel on channel 1 (Fat and Tite clean) have lower volumes than the crunch mode on the same channel 1.(Crunch mode is like 3-5 times louder than the clean.) is this normal? do i have to crank the volume a bit for clean so that it will have the same level with the crunch mode??
lemme know if this is normal.or if it needs tubes replacement.thanks!

I don't notice much volume difference on the Duece between the modes. It might be a preamp tube issue but I can't see how volume would be affected. I'd try swaping the pre amp tubes and see if it changes things. But again I can switch between all the modes on both channels and the volume pretty much stays the same

Volume should be the same through Fat, Tight and Crunch modes on channel 1. What is the ohm's rating on your cabinet? I would make sure that you are running the head in the proper ohm's rating to your cabinet or you could possibly do damage to the head.

The cab is 8 ohm so i connect it to the 8 ohm input of the head, that should be fine. Only the clean modes are quieter, the gain volumes are level on both channel. if preamp is an issue what would the symptoms be? will it affect the volume? just for your info i usually turn the master at 12 for my playing.

If you have a series 1 Stiletto then your observation is correct. Channel 1 Crunch mode on series 1 Stilettos was louder than any other mode on either channel. It was great sounding but overpowered every other mode - even on Channel 2

Yea mine is a Stiletto Trident Stage 1, i'm not sure with the crunch mode on channel 1 being louder than modes on channel 2, it's just the cleans whenever i flick the switch from crunch to fat or tite clean the volume dramatically lowered. if you mean the crunch on channel 1 is overpowering the cleans (volume wise) than i guess, it's a stage 1 issue then.

Sounds normal to me. Just a clarification - even on the Stage 2's the Crunch mode is really loud compared to the cleans. In any case they are mutually exclusive so it's a moot point.

On Stage 2 amps the real difference for me is that Crunch Ch1 balances very well with the Channel 2 modes, which I felt it did not do so well in the series 1 amps.

Having said that, I still feel that for the vintage vibe the original channel 1 Crunch was a superb voicing.

No sweat - your amp is performing per design.

Back