Is my roadster letting me down, or am I just getting Old?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MusicManJP6 said:
The DC series of Mesas are the only Mesa amps i've not heard or seen in person... Makes me wonder if I am missing out on something special!

Out of the Mesas I've owned:

2ch Dual Rec (Bought new)
Mk IVb (New,traded DR for it)
Triaxis
Roadster (Bought new)
Stiletto Deuce II (Bought new)

My little, used, DC-5 combo is simply the best sounding, most versatile amp I've ever owned. I've done most of the mods listed around this site - Volume pot mod, NOS pre's, 5751 in the ch1 pre, and an 12AT7 in the PI, and it has the best cleans of any amp listed above save the Roadster (and not by much, IMO), and Ch2 out-and-out kills the Mk IV and Stiletto in the gain department, sounds far more "modern" than the Mk (when I first got my Mk IV i fired it up and and said outloud "Hey! Master of Puppets."), and is a LOT tighter than any Rectifier-type amp when things get heavy. The Mks may have more tonal variation, but I happen to prefer the lower-mid "core sound" of the DCs vs the upper-mid, nasally sound of the Mk IV.

Some people have complained that Ch2 never really "cleans up" and isn't very good for mid-gain type distortion, and with humbuckers I agree, but the fix is to simply turn up the gain on Ch1 to about "7" and use your guitar's volume pot to control the level of gain. My DC-5 clean channel goes from glassy-smooth clean to heavier than AC/DC crunch with a spin of the pot. With my Strat with some hotter pickups, the DC can do anything from the '50s to hardcore. In fact, I can't think of the last time I've used my Hamer Vector (V) since I've got this amp and have quit playing nothing but HC only.

And it won't break your back like some of the other amps listed above.

I'll never sell this amp.

Never.

Another thing to keep in mind during your comparison/evaluation is that the tone "in the mix" & up loud enough for a band setting will be different from what you hear at more moderate levels.

My recto sounds a little "sharp" down low but it wails beautifully in a band setting. Conversely, solid state amps tend to sound pretty good at bedroom levels but are pretty lifeless by comparison when cranked up.

good luck.

nemesys said:
It's possible to get a good lead tone out of a Recto. Don't use the Modern voicing, as it's too buzzy and compressed for this, use Raw or Vintage (I prefer Raw, personally). Keep the gain at moderate settings, and turn the midrange up very high, 3:00 or higher (you're turning the gain down because the high midrange setting will put some gain back in the mix). Run the presence on the high side, and the treble on the low to moderate side. Play with the bass a bit, and set to taste. This works best if you're playing fairly loud, though you don't have to be at ear-bleeding levels.

Actually to me Channel 4 Modern if dialed in corr3ectly is the best lead channel of them all. The added compression smooths everything out more than channel 3 and if you turn your presence way down and your treble around noon there is absolutely no buzz what so ever. Also keeping the mids at or around 12-1 is huge in getting a great lead tone on a recto. A boost in front will help as well but IMO Channel 4 Modern is the hidden jem for leads in the Roadster... when setup correctly of course :D

You don't have to "justify" keeping the roadster just because it costs 3x-4x the DC. That's as ridiculous as keeping the DC just because it's a "Mesa Boogie." I've seen the same phenomena with folks trying to justify keeping gear because they either paid top dollar for it, or it has that badge that carries with it instant musical mojo, therefore it must be great. "Killer" amps, "smokin" guitars, "vintage" this or "boutique" that. I am simply lost at such a "dilemma" ...because there is no dilemma.

An amp suits your style (and soul), or it doesn't. Some are "great" if only for just the lead tone; others for that chime and pristine clean. And precious few amps "solve it all," and we're done. Whatever the case, keep only that which serves its purpose and don't look back. It's just an amp, for cryin out loud ...not like you'd be leaving women and children behind on a sinking ship. If one amp isn't giving you the warm and fuzzies, exactly what is the point of owning it?

I am not picking on you, per se, and forgive me if it sounds as if I am reading between the lines too much, but what I "hear" is "why doesn't this really expensive flagship-model Mesa Boogie (ahhhh, clouds part and sun beams in) deliver all that has been promised when this lowly model unknown by most at 1/4 the price sounds better ...can't be ...must be ...something ...wrong. Play what makes you feel great, badge and price be damned, and don't guilt or obsess over which is "supposed" to be better. Maybe it really is as simple as you've found: you just like this one better. In which case, life is good!! All IMHO, of course.
:D

Edward

Latest posts

Back