Is my early MkIII Blue basically a IIC+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carlosasi said:
Thank you for the info, I'll look, but the size alone is nothing like the C+ PT ive seen in pics. This is just a good ol Blue stripe.

Well the goal is to someday acquire a c+ but I don't believe I would sell my Mark III to do it. Love it too much. Just acquire more and more stuff.

Yes, buy another one and then have the same delima I do:
The C+ is an outstanding amp. It is my "number 1" amp to gig with now because in my mind I "play with it". I have a hard time deciding why I don't gig the Mark III anymore, I think it's because that in my head.... I "play it". My green stripe is a fantastic amp. It has an incredible full toned clean channel with tons of headroom and frankly "wow" sounding R2 and Lead channels. I have done myself harm by having these two. :?

Boogiebabies said:
The eternal question.

Being that the MK III has the stripe variations it can be deemed probable that Mesa was attempting to capture the C+ lead tone, improved cleans and a palatable R2. The MK III is the direct descendant of the IIC+, but Mesa used mainly the smaller PT's, new circuit boards, point to point power sections and mainly metal film resistors through out almost all of the amp. My personal preference goes to the Green Stripe as being the closest sonically due to the added headroom of the pentode wiring on the Class A sockets. I have an admiration for the MK III, but have found the earlier stripes to have a bit of a shrill nature to the tone. Almost a fizz that I could not dial out. In your situation, I doubt that you will be in the majority, or find few if any MK III's with the large X101 power transformers. I personally have never seen one and can only imagine that it is an extremely uncommon amp were the very last of the big exports used. They ( The X101) run about thirty or so volts lower to the power tube plates and have been known to produce some of the sweetest Boogie power sections. Sadly, your basically in your own company as there are just so few amps like yours in the world. I cannot attest that it is an exact replication of the IIC+, but it is in a class by itself among MK III's.

Boogiebabies:
I bought a black stripe Mark III SimulClass with the X101 transformer. I sent it to Mike Bendinelli and asked him to change it into red stripe specs and to add the R2 volume mod. As you said, it is a VERY sweet amp. No high-end fizziness at all.

I am sorry but I cannot compare it to my Mark IIC+ (X101 transformer as well) since this one is a 100/60 watter and it sounds brighter and more "in your face".

But I also have a purple stripe Mark III 60 Watt with the X61 transformer and this one sound REALLY sweet. As you know, this week you like this amp and next week you like that amp that you will leave alone the following week because you will like another different one.

I don't know why but I keep on coming back to this Mark III with the X61 transformer.

Thanks again for all the time you spend studying our loved Boogies and sharing the information with us.
Best regards
Daniel

Now, I had my blue stripe modded by Mike B to a IIIC+ and I can tell you that there were very distinguishable differences (mainly removing the hi-end fizziness) in the amps tone from when it was a stock blue. If I assume that the IIIC+ is very close in tone to a IIC+ then I would have to say that a stock Mark III has some distinguishable sonic differences from the IIC+. Don't get me wrong, the III is in the ballpark for sure, but to a critical ear the differences are quite apparent and may be a deal breaker if you really seek the IIC+ tone.

I now play a Studio Pre thru a 50/50 which sounded VERY VERY similar to my IIIC+ in the lead channel.

I must agree with this
I now am the owner of reo's 3+ and I also own a studio pre amp which I now blend the two preamps for a fantastic thick mesa tone. I have AB'ed the two amps with the studio running into a simul sat and the sound very similar The studio sound a little less in the mids but I would put that down to the studio having the extra eq

Latest posts

Back