Is it worth it? Single vs. Dual/Triple

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Get a Dual/Triple, or try to tweak the Single.

• Get a Dual/Triple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep the Single and work it out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TomiR

Reaction score
Well, as much as I love my Single Recto, I still find it to be a bit lacking tonally. Especially in the low end.

I feel like it sounds very thin when I compare it to my 6505. The low end is not very present, and I my cab has TONS of low end.(Orange PPC412) I have tweaked and tweaked the amp, but it always ends up sounding, you guessed it, thin.
I love the Rectifier tone, so do the Dual and Triple Recto's sound "bigger" so to speak?

I can't really compare the amps, because Recto's are very rare here in Finland, because of the ridicilous prices Mesa has here in Europe.(but they are still worth it though ;)

-a dual or triple has more low end, yes, but a single should not sound thin. I played a few and they're great amps imo. I onwed a 5150 II head about three years ago and the single recto kills it on spot.

Do you need all the extra power a Dual or Triple would give you?

It seems to me that unless you can really crank the amp near full volume (100 watts for the Dual, 150 watts for the triple) they're going to sound too thin as well.

TomIr - Could you post your settings? That may help us figure out why your sounding thin since they are hard to come by in Finland.

clutch71 said:
TomIr - Could you post your settings? That may help us figure out why your sounding thin since they are hard to come by in Finland.

Sure!

Red channel, modern mode

Master: 10 o'clock

Presence: 11o'clock

Bass: 12o'clock

mid: 9-10o'clock

Treble: 11:30

Gain: 12:30

I use a power atteunator(Koch LB-II), so I can really get that sweet power amp distortion.

I did get to compare the Single to a three channel Dual, and the Dual sounded a lot better. It seems there is a Triple Recto on sale at a music store near me, maybe I should check that one out as well.

Like I said, I don't have that much of a problem when it comes to volume, since I have the power atteunator to keep the volume at "reasonable" levels.

Well I don't see anything with the settings that would add to what you are describing. I always found the amp sounded better sitting on the floor and not elevated in anyway. I'm sure since your running through the Orange 4x12 nothing is elevated in fact I'd also guess you are running just the Orange cab correct? I believe the Orange cabs are 16 ohm. How are you compensating for a proper mismatch?

How do you use the output and where is it set? Are you running anything in the loop?

I have heard that attenuator's "suck tone." But I've never used on personally so I can't advise on the attenuator.

Here's a clip from youtube.

My settings are very similar to what you are running. My gain was set to around 2 o'clock and the output and master were at about 11 o'clock (the sweet spot IMO). I was running a Ibanez DE-7 in front and the amp is running a 2x12 rect cab and combo speaker, each coming out of the amp from a 4ohm jack for a proper impedance match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LknU71ADqYE

The tubes were Mesa power and SPAX7 in V-1 GT silver 12Ax7 V-2-V5.

While the playing or recording isn't the greatest I didn't feel that it sounded thin by any means.

I have other clips on there with a 2ch. The 2ch was running a 4x12 standard slant and the 2x12 set similar to the setting you use. The gain was higher as I feel the Sovteks have a much later break up. I have since replaced the pre-amps with Mesa 12AX7's w/ a SPAX7 in VI.

Hope that helps, sorry so long.

Maybe a DR is in your future. Altogether not a bad thing!

Well, it seems that the Dual or Triple it is, since I sold the Single today.

I have tried the Single with other cabs and without the atteunator, and it still doesen't sound as big and dominating as the Dual. Maybe that's the problem I had with the Single, I compare it to the Dual. And nope, I didn't have any effects in the loop etc. I usually had the output volume at 10 o'clock.

I guess the word thin was wrong when describing the Single, since it sounds big and tight, but like I said, not as big as I would like it to sound.

So I guess I can't really go wrong with getting the Dual. More options, more headroom and the tone I love.

Thanx!

I think I will be getting a new one as soon as I have the money. The price was not all that bad after all, it was just the list price that confuses a lot of people.

So in a couple of months, I will be getting a brand new DR!

Latest posts

Back