is it ok to use other brand preamp tubes in a triple rect?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smucarolina

Reaction score
i bought some replacement groovetube 12ax7s for a microphonic tube in the preamp section...

will it work properly and sound ok? i have heard people say you should only retube mesa amps with mesa tubes.

thanks

The biggest issue with tubes is the warranty, other tubes void it. I believe GT's are approved by Mesa now. Give customer service a call and ask them. Since they sell tubes they'll recommend Mesa obviously

tubes voiding a warrenty , what a joke! put any tubes you want in there!

However silly it may be, Clutch is right..........Which is why you hang onto the old set incase you ever have to send your amp in to Mesa :wink:

Putting in other tube brands of the funtionally similar tube is a cool way to get variations of tone/gain/responsiveness in your amp. I have been experimenting with that for the last few months. Lots of tube help on this forum. I was amazed at how a different 12ax7 in V1 made a difference I could immediatly hear on the first ringing chord. IMHO this is another thing that makes a tube amp more my choice than a digital modeler. Of course you can pick a bad tube.... and it is not so much. Like a new EH 12ax7 musta been bad or my MKV did not like it. Weak, tinny, pulled it quickly b4 the disease spread. Hit the Tube section of the forum for more than you can read in a week long meth bender.

155 said:
tubes voiding a warrenty , what a joke! put any tubes you want in there!

Not really a joke. Preamp tubes aren't really the problem, it's the power amp tubes.

Since Mesas are non-adjustable fixed bias, there are only certain grades of tubes that will work correctly in their amps. If you put a non-spec tube in a Mesa, it could cause serious damage. Their tubes are rated to work within a certain range. If you vary outside of that range, then you can be looking at trouble....blown grid resistors, fried bias supply, etc.

So unless you've had a bias mod done to your amp, it's best just to stick with tubes rated for Mesas. Most tube vendors will sell Mesa graded power tubes. You don't have to stick with Mesa tubes, but keep them in case you ever have to send your amp in for warranty work, and put them back in before taking the amp anywhere.

I've never run anything but *other* than Mesa tubes in my amps (all NOS for me), but I still understand why the warranty is void if you change them. There's no telling what can happen to an amp if the customer puts in different tubes - right type/wrong spec, wrong type, plain faulty, or whatever - and the amp manufacturer can't be held responsible for that. OK, if you put back the Mesa tubes before you take it in, they aren't going to know (or at least probably not! There are some failures bad tubes can cause which would prove that a different tube had been in...), but it at least dissuades most people from fiddling with stuff they may barely understand. It's the same reason as why they put a little bit of tape over the 6L6/EL34 bias switch. If you know what you're doing, no problem... but not everyone does.

As mikey said the real risk is with power tubes (and rectifiers) but it's easier for them to just cover themselves by having a blanket void warranty for using different tubes. It's almost impossible for a preamp tube to damage the amp. Not totally impossible - a plate to filament short in a cathode-follower position could cause real trouble - but it's extremely unlikely. The power available in preamp circuits is usually well below what can fry other parts if a tube fails. You can certainly use any 12AX7 in any preamp slot in any Mesa amp - in fact, one of the types which has the most common failure mode when used in cathode-follower positions has been used as stock by Mesa, and it's still fairly rare. The chances are that the Groove Tubes is exactly the same tube from the same factory as the Mesa one anyway, if they're both Chinese types.

94Tremoverb said:
I've never run anything but *other* than Mesa tubes in my amps (all NOS for me), ......As mikey said the real risk is with power tubes (and rectifiers) but it's easier for them to just cover themselves by having a blanket void warranty for using different tubes.

Knowing you like NOS tubes. What about the Boogie same as NOS tubes they have on the wed site (today) in the EL34 section? They also have some Siemens NOS EL34's. $$

Latest posts

Back