Is it just me..... (SOLVED)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songrider

Reaction score
Or does it seem that Mesa amps tone constantly changes.

I have a Stiletto Trident and a triple channel Dual Rec & I am CONSTANTLY tweaking on both of them. It seems that once I dial in a tone I like after a while (maybe a few minutes maybe a day) it changes.

Like it will slightly lose bottom end or the highs will get to harsh. Real subtle shifts but different. And after I adjust it to sound good again then when the mood hits it to seems like its to bassy without highs.

Is it just my gettin-old ears or is this a "Mesa" thing?

I have played tube amps for close to 20 years and switched to MESA about 2 years ago (started with 2 Mavericks in Stereo) but I dont recall EVER having to turn knobs so much.

It's probably a factor of your tubes getting hotter and changing your tone slightly. It will sound different when you first turn it on compared to like 30 min of usage. I typically turn my amp on and leave it in standby for about 5-10 minutes while I tune up and it becomes more predictable.

Lots of variables here too.. speaker volumes, your proximity to the speakers etc. Cabinets are very directional by nature.. you'll find your tone will be much different if you get in front of it and then move to the immediate left side, etc.

You may have power that fluctuates or maybe Boogies are more sensative to electric power changes.

I don't know if mesa amps are more finicky in that reguard. But, over the years i've noticed that depending on the day,minute, or hour. My tube amps sometimes sound different to me..reguardless of make. (Most of my experiances on marshall's and Orange in the past) I dunno if it's atmospheric pressure, room tempreture, humidity level..the stars aligning differently, ear fatigue,my physical conditio other than ear fatugue or any combination of the afore mentioned.lol

I've noticed the same thing. I figured it just had more to do with the temperature of the tubes after playing hard, they get heated up good and well. I've noticed during some louder than usual practice sessions, my sound will change into the session, with more of a blending into the overall noise sort of feel. Perhaps this is that 'brown' sound that I always read about?

dont know if you are a gigging player but the rooms you play in has a most definate impact on your sound (hard surfaces, glass, etc..) as does the power suppy that each room offers .

I have never been able tweak a channel and "save" the setting so to speak from gig to gig. I get a setting I like at a gig and then at the nexy gig if I use the same settings it just isn't the same.

With my DR I only can depend on 2 " setting " factors : 1. Put the Master Volume between 11 and 12 o'clock depending on venue size and THEN adjust the Channel volumes. 2.) leave the bass at 9'oclock and the mids bewteen 12 and 1 oclock.

Other than that...its a mystery to me........

And the guitar could be affecting your situation, too. The setup could be drifitng due to temperature and humidity, your strings could be getting older and duller-sounding, etc.

There are a lot of variables that could be affecting the situation.

For me, this has happened with every tube amp I've owned and I've been playing them for over 20 years too. I haven't noticed it to be a Mesa thing. The most consistent amps I've owned have been solid-state or digital. Unfortunately, they were consistently good, but not great.

There are lots of variables in a constant state of change -- tube condition, speaker cone moisture content, guitar setup, etc. But I think power is the most significant variable. Its kind of surprising how much variance you'll get off AC outlets. And we all know that affects the tone -- otherwise Mesa wouldn't have that "tweed power" feature on some of their amps.

D7

I am not gigging at the moment..... they stay set up in my studio.

I figure ear fatigue does play a factor as well.

I must say that I have never spent so much time and money trying to get an amp to dial in (speakers & tubes & pickups).

Like I said before, Just wondering if this was a "Mesa thing" of if I somehow changed over the years.

There is ALOT to love about every Boogie I have heard (thats why I have stuck with them) But the constant tweaking thing has been driving me nuts lately. Becomming a love/hate relationship.

And I know the guitar strings and the guitar makes a huge differance as well. But I have been pulling pickups left and right (Mostly stock Gibsons) to help the tweak process. And I know those pickups sound great in some amps and like *** in others. Mine were *** in my Boogies.

I've noticed the same. My setup never leaves my home studio and using the same guitar, cable, effects, settings, etc., it seems to sound different every time I play...sometimes for the better.

every little variable will change your tone. Room size, what the room is made of, etc. For instance...I tried to put my cab up on a desk so i could hear it better when we practice. My tone sounded completely different and i couldn't understand why. I checked all my knobs over and over again and finally put my cab back on the ground and it sounded back to normal. I guess the sound flows into the ground making it sound bigger and deeper, when up on the desk it didn't, and was way to trebly and crisp. Every little thing will change your tone. Sure makes it tough doesn't it. :?

I attribute most of the differences on my ear's condition! Whether it be from a cold or not, sometimes after a shower they're plugged, or just pressurized! They never seem consistent! :x

It's most likely a tube thing in the end. I was talking to my singer the other day regarding switching back to 6L6's from EL34's, and he mentioned that his brother (in-law?) said that you never really stay happy with any particular sound, it's just the way it seems to go. Last night I cranked my mids and lowered my treble and bass, next week the treble will be back up.......

I'm willing to bet it is power fluctuation...

For the last few months, we have had perfect power at my practice space, and I have really been digging my tone! Perfect, and I never had to tweak...

One day, my tone was ****....I was tweaking again, couldn't find anyhting usable...I look over at my power conditioner and the power is MUCH lower than usual....

I went ahead and bought a voltage regulator...now I will get straight power at all times! I highly recommend it to anyone!

Ever have a night of practice where it seems like you can't do anything right on guitar and your tone is pure crap? Oh, tonight was definitely one of those nights.

Had those nights... Actually, I kind of felt that way for a month once.

I recently played a show that no matter how focused or how laid back I was the band just didnt click. Know what I mean? After the show people where complimenting the band, but myself and other bandmates knew we were off. We play out and rehearse often too. We'll get er' done next time...

Well after many weeks of tweaking and replacing Tubes and troubleshooting I finally Found the "Tone changing" culprit"

Its my top of the line , $50.00 monster "rock" Guitar cable. It seems as though the company designs these cables with preloaded "capacitance" to tune them for the various instruments. I did not know this before I invested in mine. Anyway, After popping an old proco in place of the monster the difference was amazing! I got my STABLE Boogies back!

I thought it was strange that BOTH my boogies were suffering from the same problem. The ONLY common thing between them was the fact that I use a mixture of Tung Sol And JJ tubes in them both. And I also use the same cable in both.

Just thought I would share the resolution I found So anyone that reads this thread down the line understands that it was NOT the Mesa's doing the tone shifting, It was the Monster guitar cable.....

Latest posts

Back