Is a Mark IV what I really need??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitriol666

Reaction score
I have played my 2 ch triple rectifier for 6 months now and as stated in earlier posts I love the modern channel for rhythm in my band and it "feels right" for the first time after trying several amps. My problem is that this setting is the only thing I like about this amp. Of course the rest is not a total disaster, because it´s´á Mesa :D but I think the amp is a little bit too expensive for me just to be able to squeeze one good sound out of it. It works very well with my Gibsons but it does not work at all in imho with the tele or strat :cry:

Ok, so the perfect scenario for me would be to get the country twang out of the tele, the Gilmore sound of the Strat and rock and metal from my gibbos.
I always use the Vai song Tender Surrender to try and describe the dynamics I would love to get only by using the volume knobs on my guitar, going from clean to distorted. This is also one of my favourite "modern" lead tones along with Petrucci´s. For more vintage leads the live version of "Since I've Been LovingYou" from the Zeppelin double dvd gives me goose bumps. My favourite metal rhythm sound preference is probably to obscure for most of you but I just love the guitars on the Clawfinger album "Deaf Dumb And Blind". And I can get very close with my Triple.

I realize the best thing would be to have both a Mark IV and the triple but money talks. My problem is that there are not many mesa´s in the area or country that I live in. I don´t think i have ever seen a mark IV in real life!! So I probably would have to buy without trying and that includes selling my triple first and wait, without an amp, until a used mark IV shows up. This will be risky business for me so all advice and input will be appreciated.

On the other hand I may be totally wrong and looking in the wrong direction. Should the answer be a marshall or something else, so be it. Not to stir it up in this forum, just trying to keep all options open.

Also, thanks for a great informative forum. I´ve learned a lot this first year beeing a member here, even if I don´t post too often here :wink:

if you get a mk IV it won't have that triple rhy sound you like.. it's got it's own tight sound... the mk IV is a great amp.. the lead tone from a mk IV can go from Vai and Satch Easy to JP.. and gilmour.. twang is what the clean is all about to..

I suggest trying one out and spend some time trying it with different guitars. The MK IV is quite capable, but from my experience you really need to twist/pull those knobs and tweak the EQ. It's definitely no one trick pony. The sounds are all very pleasing from clean to classic crunch to gainy 90s alternative distortion. You can scoop the mids and get 'ok' metal sounds, but I'd stay away from the combo if you want more flexibility. The reason I got rid of mine was because it sounded too 'generic' for me. Again, all the sounds are pleasing, but if you're looking for your own unique sounds.. eh, I'd look elsewhere. I think of it as a jack of all trades, master of none.

The quality of the effects loop will also affect my decision. I find it to noisy on my triple recto. Don´t know why but I´ve got some hum when I kick it in. Maybe the Mark IV does that better?

vitriol666 said:
The quality of the effects loop will also affect my decision. I find it to noisy on my triple recto. Don´t know why but I´ve got some hum when I kick it in. Maybe the Mark IV does that better?

It shouldn't be noisy on your Triple.. you might need to replace the V4 preamp tube to eliminate it. The loop has been whisper quiet on my Mark IV as it was on my Dual Rec.

I don't have a problem with my loop on the Mark IV, but the Lead channel is quite noisey if running the gain and drive past 7... I'm thinking it is the nature of the beast though... That's why I've got a decimator pedal...

MusicManJP6 said:
I don't have a problem with my loop on the Mark IV, but the Lead channel is quite noisey if running the gain and drive past 7... I'm thinking it is the nature of the beast though... That's why I've got a decimator pedal...

Where are your drive, volume, gain and master at?

Mine is pretty quiet with gain/drive on 8...

I went from a 92 2ch Dual to a Mark IV (via a Diezel Herbert - eugh) and I don't regret it at all. I prefer the Mark voicing though, so you'll need to figure out if you do too.

You should try one first really, but if that's not possible, the worst you can do is dislike it and have to sell it and get another 2ch. IMO, it's worth the risk as you'll probably love it. But that's just me.

platypus: Thanks for the tip about the effects loop, I will try to swap the tube :wink: I have tried a lot of different settings but the result is always the same so I think the tube is a better guess. I´m also very modest with the gain.

Random hero: I guess you´re right, if I buy the Mark IV I would probably have no problem selling it again if I should unhappy with it, although I doubt it. It´s just very, very timeconsuming where I live to sell the triple and get hold of a Mark IV. I playing live quite often and can´t afford to go to long without an amp. There´s one on ebay now that the seller is willing to ship to Norway but that means I need to sell pretty fast :wink:

By the way, I´m primarily GAS´ing for a head. A combo just won´t do it for me.

Drive: 8 (pushed)
Volume: 2
Gain: 10 (pulled)
Master: 2-ish

With the gain and drive both at 7 or 8 it is a little quieter, but less balls of course...

Any thoughts?

MusicManJP6 said:

Drive: 8 (pushed)
Volume: 2
Gain: 10 (pulled)
Master: 2-ish

With the gain and drive both at 7 or 8 it is a little quieter, but less balls of course...

Any thoughts?

Personally, I would never dial the gain up to 10, I'd never go above 8 for that matter, you're getting mostly gain and making your EQ less potent in that configuration. How noisy are we talking?

It is noisy enough to be a little annoying, but I can kill my guitar volume and it goes away. I'll try dialing down the gain a little and see what I get...

MusicManJP6 said:
It is noisy enough to be a little annoying, but I can kill my guitar volume and it goes away. I'll try dialing down the gain a little and see what I get...

What kind of guitar are you using with it? Do you find the noise goes down if you turn away from the amp in different directions?

Even with my gain attempts up to 10 - it was still pretty quiet for a high powered amp.

As for the original poster - Man, that's a toughie.

Personally, I'd do whatever I could to own them both.

For leads I generally run my gains up around 8-8.5, gain pulled, drive pushed, and find it has plenty of gain, and is relatively quiet for how much gain it has.

update: the noise is a hum and is present only when the volume is up on either of my JPs. The gain and drive at 8 makes it a tad quieter. I am using all Groove Tubes. 12AX7C preamp tubes and GT-6L6-CHP power amp tubes... Just FYI.

Latest posts

Back