Is a Mark IV for me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfinator

Reaction score
Hi, there this is my first post on this great board. I have been lurking here for quite some time.

I am currently thinking of getting another amp and have been targeting a Mark IV but don't want to miss anything else that may fit the bill.

I tend to like a very mid-centric tone but not mushy. I currently have a 5150 which has more gain than I need but is starting to sound too thin and hollow to me. I also have a Legacy head that I am very fond of. I prefer it to the 5150. I has a nice full and thick lead voicing but I wonder it it is a bit too fat for rhythm sometimes. I plan on keeping them but would like to add a third amp that could cross over between the two a bit. I guess I'm trying to find something in the middle that has the potential aggression of a 5150 and the smoothness of a Legacy and was thinking that a Mark IV would cover that. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I was also wondering which has more usable gain a Mark IV or a Road King. I haven't had a chance to try a Road King so have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks

I personally think the Mark IV's gain generates the most beautiful tone for leads. I never played a roadking but I did have a dual rec and a triple rec. Both sound too fizzy for leads. I guess roadking is a little smoother but on the same scale.

Also mark IV has more gain and sounds excellent at low volume. The little box generates huge tone for rhythms also. I would go for a mark IV.

newfinator said:
I tend to like a very mid-centric tone but not mushy.
...I guess I'm trying to find something in the middle that has the potential aggression of a 5150 and the smoothness of a Legacy and was thinking that a Mark IV would cover that. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I used to have a 5150. Nice amp. I am not that familiar with a Legacy.

IMHO it sounds like the IV should fit the bill for you in the smoothness factor along with the potential for 5150 gain.

The Mark IV has plenty of gain. It is one of the most versatile amps ever made. It is super tight sounding so you will never have to worry about muddyness. It can be aggresive or thick for rhythm playing depending on how you dial it in and it is known for its very smooth sounding leads. Seems to fit your description quite well. Go try it. :)

I own both the Mark IVb and the Legacy. I think the Mark IV has a similar voicing, but has far more usable gain. However, that comes at a price. The Mark is much more compressed/less touch sensitive. That's actually a plus for many people. Also, it's a lot easier to control the bottom end with the Mark. The Mark sounds better than the Legacy at bedroom levels with tweed power.

Personally, I like the Legacy better, but both are really sweet amps.

As far as the Mark IV vs the 5150 goes - it's true that the Mark has a ton of usable gain, but it can't get edgy like the 5150 can get... at least not that I've heard.

I sold my Legacy to buy a Mark IV. I don't think the two really sound similarly voiced at all but everyone hears things differently. I find R2 to be very touch sensitive and responsive to volume knob changes on the guitar. I actually use that channel the most which makes me something of an oddity. The Legacy is not nearly as tight in the lower register as Marks are and at least mine tended to be a bit too dark for me. It also tended to flub out a bit on heavy palm muted stuff. I had my Legacy for 5 years and don't miss it (most of the time). Oh yeah and I was able to sell my attenuator which was rad.

Welcome to the Board :D

The Mark IV should fit your bill very nicely. The amp is really articulate and is hard to make mush out. I like to play rhythm on it because it really lets you hear everything you do unlike many other amps that tend to blend together.

Latest posts

Back