Is a mark IV combo too much for a bed room rocker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeeMonkey

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the forum.

I came across this forum in search of more information regarding the Mark IV and man this forum rocks.

Well first of all my main axe is a Jackson SL-1 into a peice of crap Marshall AVT-100. My latest amp purchase was a Peavey 5150 but I sold it because it wasnt versatile enough, so now im looking for a new amp.

I play anything from blues, harddrock and old school metal.

I heard the Mark IV only gets good tone passed bedroom levels, however if I use a THD hotplate with it, will I still be able to get a nice tone out of it. Also would this amp be considered more of a gigging amp like halfstacks or can this also suit my needs, because I heard its really loud for a combo. I currently live in a apartment so I cant go too loud, but im guessing with a THD hotplate it should be decent enough?

Also this summer I have my parents house to myself, and was hoping to get a nice amp by then so I can crank it, but also be able to use it in my bedroom at low volumes during rest of the year

It is a great bedroom amp. No hot plate needed. The Channel Masters and the Master Volume will get you a nice tone at a low level. You may have to change your EQ setting when you crank it. The power section has some voicing that you may need to compensate for. I leave mine basically in tweed mode for bedroom volume.

About how heavy are these things anyways?

My peavey 5150 combo was a pain to move around, 80 pounds is a real back breaker..

I'm not sure of the weight of a combo, but they are heavy. I've owned two other combos, plus the weight of the Mark IV head is close to forty pounds, so yes, it's heavy. I have the head and two 1/12 cabinets.
As far as being a bedroom wanker's amp, this amp is perfect. You will have to chage the EQ when playing in a band, but this amp sounds great at any volumn.

TW

PeeMonkey said:
About how heavy are these things anyways?

My peavey 5150 combo was a pain to move around, 80 pounds is a real back breaker..

This was one of my major concerns about this amp. Don't worry at all man. The Mark IV is about 72-76 lbs with the casters, but I've had absolutely no problem carrying this thing up/down stairs or in and out of cars. In fact, the Mark IV feels significantly lighter than my Spider 2 212 combo (About 75 lbs with the FB4 footswitch and a EB 6165 Volume Pedal).

Regardless of weight, lift with your legs ;), and use those casters when you're on smooth surfaces, they save your arms.

BTW, I am 5'2", and don't weigh that much. So you shouldn't have a problem taking your Mark IV.

I have a MkIII combo, and it's f*ckin' heavy.

They're great for bedroom use....the graphic EQ is good for getting you a reasonably good metal sound at low-ish volumes. I wouldn't call them an apartment amp....they're still a bit too loud for that IMO, but if you can make some level of noise they have pretty good tone.

My Mark IV combo is 74 pounds! My Mark III is only a pound or two less...
A bit much for a bedroom rocker in my opinion...

Hmmm... right now im deciding between settling with a Peavey Classic 30, or saving up for a month or 2 more and getting the Mark IV. The thing is when I make a purchase I expect it to last me quite a long time, but then again im only in my apartment for 1 more year. I guess its something I have to decide on myself lol.

So , Peavey classic 30 now, or Mesa Mark IV in 2 months later?

Do most of you guys who own nice amps play as a gigging musician or just as a hobby. Some people think im crazy for buying better gear even though I dont gig.

PeeMonkey said:
Do most of you guys who own nice amps play as a gigging musician or just as a hobby. Some people think im crazy for buying better gear even though I dont gig.

I think you'll find there's a mixture of both.

PeeMonkey said:
Hmmm... right now im deciding between settling with a Peavey Classic 30, or saving up for a month or 2 more and getting the Mark IV. The thing is when I make a purchase I expect it to last me quite a long time, but then again im only in my apartment for 1 more year. So , Peavey classic 30 now, or Mesa Mark IV in 2 months later? Do most of you guys who own nice amps play as a gigging musician or just as a hobby. Some people think im crazy for buying better gear even though I dont gig.
As one who has both the Mark IV and the Classic 30 I would STRONGLY advise against going with the Classic 30. The two amps aren't even in the same class........ by a long shot. It's like comparing a Rolls Royce to a roller skate. The difference is that big. By all means save for tha Mark IV, it will last a lifetime. The Peavey is crap.

I traded in my Solo 50 head and 2X12 cab for a IV combo. Best investment I ever made!! I live in a 2 bedroom apt. and use the 2nd room a my studio...

Before

IMG_2570.jpg

After

IMG_2907.jpg

It's not SUPER heavy, but it is not light. And yes this mother is LOUD, much more than you'll ever need if you don't gig. Even if you do, mic it up and your ready to go!!

Here are some clips of it in action...be warned I'm not that good so don't expect good playing, which answers your other question...I get good stuff because I can afford it!

Audio Clips

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=399952

Video Clips...scroll to the guitar ones

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jargaguy

I got mine used for $1150...2002! Shop around and you'll find a nice used one!

Good Luck

JA

jargaguy said:
...I got mine used for $1150...2002! Shop around and you'll find a nice used one!

JA

Here's what looks to be a pretty good deal on a IV combo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7398011668&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Hmm I guess I'll just have to save up for a Mark IV now, guess the Peavy is a no no..

That ebay one looks really nice.. Too bad I cant afford it at the moment.

thanks for the sound clips jaraguy, really appreciate it, real nice crunch to it.

I guess I got 1 more month of saving to do, currently at about 650$, hopefully I can snag one up locally or on ebay for a good price in the next month or so.

PeeMonkey said:
Hmm I guess I'll just have to save up for a Mark IV now, guess the Peavy is a no no.. That ebay one looks really nice.. Too bad I cant afford it at the moment. I guess I got 1 more month of saving to do, currently at about 650$, hopefully I can snag one up locally or on ebay for a good price in the next month or so.
Believe me the wait will be worth it. Settling for the Peavey would be a HUGE mistake.

PeeMonkey said:
Hmm I guess I'll just have to save up for a Mark IV now, guess the Peavy is a no no..

That ebay one looks really nice.. Too bad I cant afford it at the moment.

thanks for the sound clips jaraguy, really appreciate it, real nice crunch to it.

I guess I got 1 more month of saving to do, currently at about 650$, hopefully I can snag one up locally or on ebay for a good price in the next month or so.

There will allways be a MK IV for sale somewhere. A classic 30 would be a serious waste of money compared to the quality and versatility of the MK IV.

jargaguy said:
I traded in my Solo 50 head and 2X12 cab for a IV combo. Best investment I ever made!! I live in a 2 bedroom apt. and use the 2nd room a my studio...

Before

IMG_2570.jpg

After

IMG_2907.jpg

It's not SUPER heavy, but it is not light. And yes this mother is LOUD, much more than you'll ever need if you don't gig. Even if you do, mic it up and your ready to go!!

Here are some clips of it in action...be warned I'm not that good so don't expect good playing, which answers your other question...I get good stuff because I can afford it!

Audio Clips

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=399952

Video Clips...scroll to the guitar ones

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jargaguy

I got mine used for $1150...2002! Shop around and you'll find a nice used one!

Good Luck

JA

Who's the dead guy on the bed. :D

Nice setup. I think those Gramma risers are excellent.

I use my Mark IV in the house to noodle around on and as the others have said it works very well at low volumes.

To really shine though you do need to crank it!!!!

They are very heavy though. I can barly lift mine. Mine has a wood cab and is well over 70 lbs.

brianf

I guess lifting a 1x12 combo shouldnt be as bad as a 2x12 combo like the peavey, that thing was a monster

What if I also get a hotplate for it, to get that nice cranked tone at low volumes, would it be worth it?

Also is there any other great amps I should consider?

t0aj15 said:
PeeMonkey said:
Hmmm... right now im deciding between settling with a Peavey Classic 30, or saving up for a month or 2 more and getting the Mark IV. The thing is when I make a purchase I expect it to last me quite a long time, but then again im only in my apartment for 1 more year. So , Peavey classic 30 now, or Mesa Mark IV in 2 months later? Do most of you guys who own nice amps play as a gigging musician or just as a hobby. Some people think im crazy for buying better gear even though I dont gig.
As one who has both the Mark IV and the Classic 30 I would STRONGLY advise against going with the Classic 30. The two amps aren't even in the same class........ by a long shot. It's like comparing a Rolls Royce to a roller skate. The difference is that big. By all means save for tha Mark IV, it will last a lifetime. The Peavey is crap.

I have both of these amps too and must disagree with you here, solely basing my opinion on sound and reliability. They both sound great and my peavey (from mid 90s) has been quite reliable (had to use contact spray on one pot once) the years i have owned it, i have had my mk4 only for a few months now. i actually still use my classic 30 more at gigs (and at home) than my mesa.

Latest posts

Back