Instructions on installing Mark IV into headshell from rack?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacoshow

Reaction score
Anyone done this or know where instructions are posted to install a Mark IV from a rackmount shell into a new short headshell?

It's not a complicated task.
:wink:
1. Remove the tubes, marking them for easy reinstall. (optional)

2. Remove the wings, top cover, and front plate (just nuts and bolts). You should be left with the bare amp chassis - tube sockets facing up. Take note of the ground wire-ring* you had to disconnect from the rack kit, and the four holes the top cover was attached to.

3. Turn the head shell upside down - from the back, slide the chassis into the head shell** until the four holes line up with the four holes in the top of the head shell. Attach mounting hardware - reinstall tubes.

*I've never done a MkIV, but on my MkIII the ground wire ring needed to be attached to the front switch-side mounting screw between the chassis and the shell. PITA to keep it lined up while inserting the chassis. I tied a length of mono-filament line (fishing line) to the ring and threaded the other end through the hole in the shell - it helped me keep it where I needed it to be.

**Boogies tend to be a tight fit. Don't force the chassis into the shell, take your time. When it's about 90% inserted, the control plate will prolly catch on the loose ends of the tolex towards the face of the shell. I used a small flathead screwdriver to gently coax the tolex back down so the faceplace could slip past. Dont pry the faceplate - it bends real easy!

Whew - took me almost as long to write it as it did to actually do it...
:lol:

No ground wire in my Mark III, but there is a spring-loaded ground along the top of one side of the chassis, and metal tape on the combo shell.

Hello everybody, I'm new here, I'm looking to find a rackmount kit to put my Mark IV in, if anyone knows where I can find that it'd be great thanks!!

I just bought a kit for my MKIII...here's the link:
http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/rack-kits.html

Zorshelter said:
Hello everybody, I'm new here, I'm looking to find a rackmount kit to put my Mark IV in, if anyone knows where I can find that it'd be great thanks!!

Ask tacoshow! :mrgreen:

Hi everyone, i also have difficultys mounting my MKIV rackhead in my new shell, "attach mounting hardware" is where i get stuck, because i cant figure out how ist supposed to be attached to the shell..

I have removed the top cover, the wings and the front, just cant see where the four holes are supposed to be and how i would be able to screw it to the shell.

Anyone?

Latest posts

Back