Installing EMG pickups..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Botch

Reaction score
Hi, pretty soon i'm going (attempting to!) install an EMG 81 the bridge position of my MIJ Tokai Les Paul to replace the existing passive p/up. I was just wondering if you guys had any helpful hints or tips to assist me in doing this as I've never installed an active p/up. I will also be wiring it up so the passive p/up in the neck is still working. Cheers!

I thouhgt both pickups needed to be active. Well anyway i tried installing two EMG's in an old guitar i had laying around and it just never worked right. So for me it would have been better to pay the 20-30 clams to have them installed.

Good luck though.

I assume your EMG-81 comes with instruction.

If I recall you hook them up the EMG-81 like passive pickup except there will be a "hot" wire coming from this pickup that will be connected to the 9V battery and your output jack will be a stereo where the sleeve is hooked up to 9V battery.

Unless they change since I had my last EMG, this is the way to hook it up (I thinki).

Thanks for the replies guys but today I decided to put my hand in my pocket and pay someone to do it. I couldn't be bothered with the hassle. Sounds awesome! :D

bummer.. you spent the flow already. I put the 81 in my les paul bridge with no problem even with my neck still passive. kind of a cool combination of sound actually.

Latest posts

Back