Installed Weber 10vs British series into 5.25 10" combo.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodler

Reaction score
Finally got around to putting in a replacement speaker from Weber. The cabinet is so **** small I had to remove the reverb tank and re-install (THANKS MESA!). One hour honeymoon opinion. Much richer sounding, more complex,better bass. Now sounds "Marshallesque". For me it is a vast improvement from the E-50/Ramrod Emminence. Was going to get rid of the amp as the stock speaker was ruining it IMO. Now I am hearing what I expected in the first place. I would recommend a speaker swap to anyone on the fence about doing it. There are a number of much better speakers out there than the E-50.

Ok a couple weeks down the road and it sounds even better. This speaker(Weber 10VS 40 watt) cured the boxy sound and just makes this a far better amp. Everyone should do themselves a favor and dump the Emminence speaker for a quality speaker. Emminence speakers IMO sound goodish for cleans but are harsh and fizzy with overdrive. Just a shame to hide all the good tone this amp has with the stock speaker. Get a Weber or a Celestion or whatever strikes your fancy you will hear an improvement.

How does the Weber go for clean tones, is it still and improvement over the stock one ?

Having played with speakers in my 1x12 I have noticed that an improvement in one area can often be a step backward in another.

Noodler said:
Ok a couple weeks down the road and it sounds even better. This speaker(Weber 10VS 40 watt) cured the boxy sound and just makes this a far better amp. Everyone should do themselves a favor and dump the Emminence speaker for a quality speaker. Emminence speakers IMO sound goodish for cleans but are harsh and fizzy with overdrive. Just a shame to hide all the good tone this amp has with the stock speaker. Get a Weber or a Celestion or whatever strikes your fancy you will hear an improvement.

SPOT ON, **** spot on!

That 10V is an awesome speaker, especially for a 10 incher. I put one in a 2x10 Coyote Cab with a California, look out, freakin watch out! :mrgreen:

I was thinking of building a 2x10 cab for my 5:25 combo (a 1x12 version). Maybe a closed back cab, would this be your first choice?

Another question....since I am going to build another cab would it be better to go 1x12 or 2x10?

Hey Noodler,

Good to know ...especially the part where the reverb tanks still fits as it is a small cab (which is one thing I like about it as it is not my main amp).

Aside from the "marshall-esque" language, how would you describe the nature of the differences in tone? The bass the mids, the highs, the mild breakup tones, the saturated OD tone, etc. What are your thoughts of the Weber vs the stock spkr with these specifics in mind?

The reason I ask is that I am not trying to cop any particular sound, Marshall or otherwise. And when I first brought home this amp, I immediately loved its character, but the speaker left me a bit puzzled. With more playing, though, I have really learned to appreciate the tone flavor the stocker brings to the table; I actually like the speaker now! So if I decide to try a Weber swap, what specific differences can I expect to hear.

Edward

Edward if you like the stock speaker then don't change a thing. I am not a good describer of all the specific attributes you ask for. I will say there is more bass available with the Weber 10VS. But in general the amp and speaker now sound like they are "working together" the sound is much more complex,richer, better etc. I find I use way less gain than before and still get all the sustain I want.

I am not saying the Weber is the perfect speaker for everyone. I certainly do not have "golden ears" at all. What I do know is that the amp sounds way more complex and MUSICAL now and the harshness of the E-50 is gone.

I should also say that I mostly like to play laughable versions of stuff by Robin Trower, Hendrix, Warren Haynes, Robben Ford, Roy Buchannon, Leslie West ETC.

Just to give you an idea of the type of tone I was going for speaker wise. So your mileage may vary.

Wolfboy1 said:
I was thinking of building a 2x10 cab for my 5:25 combo (a 1x12 version). Maybe a closed back cab, would this be your first choice?

Another question....since I am going to build another cab would it be better to go 1x12 or 2x10?

I'm hard pressed to find a better 10 incher.....Weber's 10V, California, and 10F150 are awesome, the only thing similar (to my ears and needs) is maybe a Tone Tubby, the only thing better is the EV.

Sneak over to garbay.....I mean ebay......and look for Cyoyote Cabs. Those are by far the best sounding "in your face" cabs I've ever had. His slant 1x12 blew my solid pine 2x12 clean outa the water! All I did was switch speakers, did not change any knobs, and the Coyote 1x12 just blasted that 2x12 out of the way! Baltic birch, dado'd joints, superb work, light weight, and projects sound like crazy!

Hard to say which is better, one amp sounds awesome with the 1x12, the other amp sounds greatest with the 2x10. Both cabs are the same size.

Hey Noodler (and Soundchaser),

With Ted's spkrs, are you guys using the Alnico or ceramic? Still interested in maybe giving this a try, but not sure which may be a better "fit" for me?

- British 10VS (and in Aln or Ceramic?)
- Vintage Series 10-150 (again, in Aln or Ceramic?)

Any thoughts on the tonal/character diffs between these lines? Thanks!

Edward

Edward I have the ceramic 10vs. Unless you take the bell off I doubt the alnico will fit with the reverb tank in. Maybe it could be done, but it would be very tough.

Now order the speaker right now damnit!

soundchaser59 said:
Wolfboy1 said:

I'm hard pressed to find a better 10 incher.....Weber's 10V, California, and 10F150 are awesome, the only thing similar (to my ears and needs) is maybe a Tone Tubby, the only thing better is the EV.

Sneak over to garbay.....I mean ebay......and look for Cyoyote Cabs. Those are by far the best sounding "in your face" cabs I've ever had. His slant 1x12 blew my solid pine 2x12 clean outa the water! All I did was switch speakers, did not change any knobs, and the Coyote 1x12 just blasted that 2x12 out of the way! Baltic birch, dado'd joints, superb work, light weight, and projects sound like crazy!

Hard to say which is better, one amp sounds awesome with the 1x12, the other amp sounds greatest with the 2x10. Both cabs are the same size.

Thank-you for that great reply!

My experiences are more extensive with ceramics due to the price difference, but generally the alnicos seem smoother, not as edgy perhaps, not as efficient, not as in your face or as hard hitting....I like the alnico smooth overdrive better, but if you want edgy overdrive or distortion or big fat lows and clean loud low mids then the alnico may not please your ear. And as noodler says, the alnico probably won't fit anyway. It was tough getting the G10 Gold to fit and it's a smaller bell than Webers, and the Weber ceramics with high power and bigger magnets are a scary squeeze as well.

Well fit is important to me as I do not want to lose my reverb tank. Besides, I get plenty of smoothness from my tube chocies but neeeed tight lows. Maybe I'll get around to trying out Ted's Brit ceramic. Thanks a bunch gents!
...heck, what am I thanking you guys for ...I should send you the bill!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Edward

I just put a 10VS in my amp. Haven't soldered it up yet. Tight fit to say the least!

I used my Express at band practice the other day and found almost no tight bass at high volumes with the stock speaker.
Gain and EQ knobs were around noon, 30 watt setting, no contour, Burn setting.

I had to use my trusty extension cabinet to keep it from getting mushy above 11:00 on the volume!

Well.....
I haven't tried it at band volumes yet. Probably won't today because the drummer gets pissy about trying new gear out.

But.....
What a dramatic difference in tone! The cleans are warmer and the Burn channel holds together much better now! I thought the stock speaker was flubby at high volumes. It sounded pretty good without the band, but just couldn't hold together if the volume was above noon.

Maybe I'll fire it up anyway at practice just to piss him off a little! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back